Author Topic: Are all LP tanks for the Blackstone created equal?  (Read 1738 times)

Offline Pook

• Brandon
Are all LP tanks for the Blackstone created equal?
« on: October 07, 2013, 10:20:19 AM »
Please help with an upcoming LP tank purchase. 
First grill was an LP Weber Gen Silver B purchased over 10 years ago.  I think not long after that, tanks were mandated to have a special valve???  Any brand recommendations?  How about size?  I believe the one I had then was 20lbs? 
I know you can get ripped off by the big box stores that swap out tanks(Blue Rhino). 
Thanks
"And let us not grow weary in doing good: for in due season we shall reap, if we faint not."  Galations 6:9

Offline TXCraig1

Re: Are all LP tanks for the Blackstone created equal?
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2013, 11:31:09 AM »
It doesn't get any more commodity that a propane tank. A new one is probably going to cost you $40. If it was me, I'd buy the least expensive used one I could get my hands on and go swap it for a full one.

What is your fear of getting ripped off by big box stores swapping tanks? I haven't done anything else since they started offering the service. It costs a couple extra bucks, but it's worth it to me not to have to make a special trip to a place that fills tanks and wait around for them to fill it.
Pizza is not bread.

Offline Pook

• Brandon
« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2013, 12:12:43 PM »
Really no fear, I'm that cheap.  :-[

I figured it was more than a couple of bucks, and would be worth it to buy new and refill.  The rental place where I used to fill mine up is much closer than any swap out store.

Thought maybe there would be inferior brands prone to leaking, rusting, etc.
"And let us not grow weary in doing good: for in due season we shall reap, if we faint not."  Galations 6:9

Offline TXCraig1

« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2013, 03:26:02 PM »
Thought maybe there would be inferior brands prone to leaking, rusting, etc.

Just buy from a reputable store and you should be fine.
Pizza is not bread.

Offline Pook

• Brandon
« Reply #4 on: October 07, 2013, 06:26:28 PM »
Ok, thanks TXCraig1

Offline alconnell

« Reply #5 on: October 08, 2013, 06:42:15 AM »
I always have mine filled rather than swap them after reading that most exchange places don't fill the tanks completely.  It's at least $5 cheaper and we have lots of places that fill them nearby.

Offline barryvabeach

« Reply #6 on: October 08, 2013, 07:19:06 AM »
+1 to alconnell.  The exchange tanks usually have a label showing that they are filled to 15 pounds.  Refilling should fill it all the way up to 20 pounds ( 33% more ). 

Offline TXCraig1

« Reply #7 on: October 08, 2013, 08:55:45 AM »
There is no doubt that refilling is a better value if the logistics work for you.

The empty weight of the tank is stamped into the handle, so it's a simple matter to figure out how much propane is in the tank by weighing it. I weighed a few exchanged tanks a while back out of curiosity, and I was getting 15-17# of propane. The labels say 15#.

When you refill, you pay by the pound, not by the tank, so if you get 5 more pounds, you pay for 5 more pounds.
Pizza is not bread.

Offline Pook

• Brandon
« Reply #8 on: October 08, 2013, 10:06:33 AM »
The FS gas station I used to go to on occasion now charges $17 for a 20lb tank, not charging by the lb.  May be a better deal if I start burning through the gas during my NP journey!

Thanks guys for the advice. 
« Last Edit: October 08, 2013, 10:10:55 AM by Pook »

Offline TXCraig1

« Reply #9 on: October 08, 2013, 10:45:54 AM »
The FS gas station I used to go to on occasion now charges $17 for a 20lb tank, not charging by the lb. 

I'd be careful with that guy. It looks like he's trying to get in on the profit he sees the exchange guys making. There is no benefit to you to do a refill by the tank unless it's really cheap. One of the main benefits of refilling is that you don't lose the propane left in the tank when you refill. If you refill by the tank, you pay for something you already own if the tank isn't dry.

Assuming your tank is empty and the guys fills your tank all the way full (and I would watch the scale or meter as he fills to be sure he does), that's about $3.62/gal (20# propane = 4.7gal) which is just an OK price. Nothing special. Odds are, a "full" tank will be more like 4.2 gal bringing the price up to $4.05/gal which is high.  If your tank isn't empty to start with, the price/gal is even higher. The bottom line is you really don't know what your paying if you refill by the tank - and that's exactly why that guy wants yo sell it to you that way. If you pay by the pound or gallon you know exactly what you are paying and you get what you pay for.

Pizza is not bread.

Offline slybarman

« Reply #10 on: October 08, 2013, 10:49:00 AM »
I think I paid $25 for a brand new tank last summer at Sam's Club. The local Ace Hardware refills tanks by the lb.
EDIT - looks like $29 now, but comes with a built-in gauge which is worth the $5 IMO.
« Last Edit: October 08, 2013, 10:52:25 AM by slybarman »

Offline Pook

• Brandon
« Reply #11 on: October 08, 2013, 10:54:39 AM »
I'd be careful with that guy. It looks like he's trying to get in on the profit he sees the exchange guys making. There is no benefit to you to do a refill by the tank unless it's really cheap. One of the main benefits of refilling is that you don't lose the propane left in the tank when you refill. If you refill by the tank, you pay for something you already own if the tank isn't dry.

Assuming your tank is empty and the guys fills your tank all the way full (and I would watch the scale or meter as he fills to be sure he does), that's about $3.62/gal (20# propane = 4.7gal) which is just an OK price. Nothing special. Odds are, a "full" tank will be more like 4.2 gal bringing the price up to $4.05/gal which is high.  If your tank isn't empty to start with, the price/gal is even higher. The bottom line is you really don't know what your paying if you refill by the tank - and that's exactly why that guy wants yo sell it to you that way. If you pay by the pound or gallon you know exactly what you are paying and you get what you pay for.

Excellent points TXCraig1. If I go there, I will watch the scale.

Offline Pook

• Brandon
« Reply #12 on: October 08, 2013, 10:56:53 AM »
I think I paid $25 for a brand new tank last summer at Sam's Club. The local Ace Hardware refills tanks by the lb.
EDIT - looks like $29 now, but comes with a built-in gauge which is worth the $5 IMO.

Thanks, called our local Sam's and they are out of stock due to the "off season".  Lowe's and HD have that same tank(Worthington) for the the same price. 

Offline TXCraig1

« Reply #13 on: October 08, 2013, 11:00:25 AM »

Or, in the absence of a gauge, pour a glass of warm water on the side of the tank - the tank will go from warm to cool at the level of the propane.
Pizza is not bread.

Offline slybarman

« Reply #14 on: October 08, 2013, 11:13:44 AM »
I bought a gauge from Harbor Freight a while back that screws between the tank and the reg. I think it is based on pressure and I am not certain how accurate it is. Mine seems to hold in the green for a long time and then drop off suddenly. I like that this one measures the actual liquid level. I have done the water thing before too, but it is not ideal for me because my grill is on an upper level deck and I don't want to soak the lower deck if we are outside.

Offline Mmmph

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #15 on: October 08, 2013, 12:05:28 PM »
I have done the water thing before too, but it is not ideal for me because my grill is on an upper level deck and I don't want to soak the lower deck if we are outside.

Use a spray bottle. A spritz or two and you'll see the level of the gas.
Sono venuto, ho visto, ho mangiato

Offline slybarman

« Reply #16 on: October 08, 2013, 02:30:04 PM »
good thinking. Thanks.

Offline Pook

• Brandon
« Reply #17 on: October 08, 2013, 11:23:56 PM »
Ended up with 20lbs $17 OTD, 15lb Blue Rhinos are $20, not bad. 
Will run the tank dry each refill. 
« Last Edit: October 08, 2013, 11:49:07 PM by Pook »

Offline TXCraig1

« Reply #18 on: October 09, 2013, 12:14:41 AM »
You get me thinking I might have to rethink refills. I have three tanks; it's probably worth it to let them all go empty and then make a trip to the U-Haul place to get them filled.
Pizza is not bread.

Offline Pook

• Brandon
« Reply #19 on: October 09, 2013, 12:28:15 AM »
U-Haul would be a good place for refills. 
I called the one in Bettendorf, IA today. 
They charge by the lb....$3.89

I even contemplated buying a filled turn in tank for 20 bucks and just not turn it back in.  :-D
I may do that if I feel a need for a backup tank.
« Last Edit: October 09, 2013, 12:34:45 AM by Pook »

pizzapan