Author Topic: Are all LP tanks for the Blackstone created equal?  (Read 1744 times)

Offline TXCraig1

Re: Are all LP tanks for the Blackstone created equal?
« Reply #20 on: October 09, 2013, 01:50:00 AM »
One can never have too much propane.
Pizza is not bread.

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
    • learningknowledgetomakepizza
« Reply #21 on: October 09, 2013, 09:02:43 AM »
I get my propane tanks refilled when they are almost empty.  It costs me 11.90 to get them refilled.

Norma
Always working and looking for new information!

Online slybarman

« Reply #22 on: October 09, 2013, 09:21:17 AM »
One can never have too much propane.

. . . and propane accessories.

Offline TXCraig1

« Reply #23 on: October 09, 2013, 09:38:42 AM »
. . . and propane accessories.

Thanks Hank.  :-D
Pizza is not bread.

Online slybarman

« Reply #24 on: October 09, 2013, 11:28:52 AM »
I knew that reference would not be lost on a Texan.

Offline MightyPizzaOven

• Supporting Member
    • Mighty Pizza Oven .com
« Reply #25 on: October 09, 2013, 04:28:39 PM »
I know this off topic - Any body willing to find out how long they can run BS on 2 - 1 LB propane tank and how many pies can they bake NY style?
Bert,

Offline TXCraig1

« Reply #26 on: October 09, 2013, 04:44:41 PM »
I know this off topic - Any body willing to find out how long they can run BS on 2 - 1 LB propane tank and how many pies can they bake NY style?

Back of the envelope if nobody steps up to help - Propane is ~21,500 BTU/lb x 2= 43,000BTU or about 40 minutes running a 60,0000BTU burner wide open (rounded down to be conservative - make educated guess for effective burner BTU if burner is not running wide open). The number of pies you can bake depends on a lot of factors other than when you run out of gas.
Pizza is not bread.

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #27 on: October 09, 2013, 05:35:20 PM »

Bert,

I really have no idea, but my friend Bob showed me Saturday when the flame on the BS is running about perfect and uses the least propane.  That was when the flames were below the bottom stone and burning tall blue flames.  Those below the stone flames can bake a NY style pizza, but in my opinion a NY style is better at higher flames at least in part of the bake.  Bob is going to try and build his own BS.  My one propane 20 lb. propane tank lasted awhile for the different kinds of pizzas I made.

Norma

Offline MightyPizzaOven

• Supporting Member
    • Mighty Pizza Oven .com
« Reply #28 on: October 09, 2013, 06:45:53 PM »
Thanks Norma. I can run MPO for two hours with 20 to 30 minutes heating time. I like to know what BS can do with 2 lb propane using preferred dial setting for heating + baking.
Bert,

Online slybarman

« Reply #29 on: October 09, 2013, 07:07:45 PM »
One would need an adapter to attach the reg. I have some 1lb cylinders, but not the adapter.

Offline red kiosk

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #30 on: October 09, 2013, 07:23:36 PM »
I have one adapter but not two. Many times we run our camp stove with tandem 20 lb. propane tanks and I have the double tank harness. I also have the adaptor valve for emergency use with a smaller 1 lb. bottle in case we run out in the middle of breakfast.

JIm
The pathologically precise are annoying, but right!

Offline Tampa

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #31 on: October 26, 2013, 01:10:05 PM »
Bert,

I really have no idea, but my friend Bob showed me Saturday when the flame on the BS is running about perfect and uses the least propane.  That was when the flames were below the bottom stone and burning tall blue flames.  Those below the stone flames can bake a NY style pizza, but in my opinion a NY style is better at higher flames at least in part of the bake.  Bob is going to try and build his own BS.  My one propane 20 lb. propane tank lasted awhile for the different kinds of pizzas I made.

Norma

Norma, I'm liking your friend Bob!  Perhaps he will join the forum or share a picture when he is done.  Some of us would love that.

I'm not sure why my friend Bob doesn't step up and build an oven.  (I know I'm going to hear about this one :-D)

Dave

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #32 on: October 26, 2013, 02:28:37 PM »
Norma, I'm liking your friend Bob!  Perhaps he will join the forum or share a picture when he is done.  Some of us would love that.

I'm not sure why my friend Bob doesn't step up and build an oven.  (I know I'm going to hear about this one :-D)

Dave

Dave,

Although Bob is a member here on this forum as you can see at http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,20402.msg200930.html#msg200930 you can see he does not look here on the forum if you look at his profile and see when he last visited the forum.  Bob built another oven that I showed at http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,18828.msg183753.html#msg183753 second photo down.  Bob is very handy with building anything and also brews beers.  Bob is also an engineer.  If Bob stops over at market I will ask him if he started building his own BS.

Lol about your friend Bob stepping up and building an oven.  >:D  :-D

Norma

Offline Tampa

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #33 on: October 29, 2013, 09:38:38 AM »
Dave,

Although Bob is a member here on this forum as you can see at http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,20402.msg200930.html#msg200930 you can see he does not look here on the forum if you look at his profile and see when he last visited the forum.  Bob built another oven that I showed at http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,18828.msg183753.html#msg183753 second photo down.  Bob is very handy with building anything and also brews beers.  Bob is also an engineer.  If Bob stops over at market I will ask him if he started building his own BS.

Lol about your friend Bob stepping up and building an oven.  >:D  :-D

Norma
Thanks for the links Norma, I missed that when you first posted.  I really like what your Bob's done with the place bricks.

I think in our neighborhood, I'll start slowly, first things first - I'll ask my Bob to grow a beard.
Dave

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #34 on: October 29, 2013, 09:58:06 PM »

I think in our neighborhood, I'll start slowly, first things first - I'll ask my Bob to grow a beard.
Dave

Dave,

Lol, no need to ask Bob to grow a beard. :-D This was Bob at Steve's beer brewer's picnic.  Bob is clean shaven and has short hair now.

Norma