Author Topic: View count of photos  (Read 736 times)

Offline Aimless Ryan

• Snarky
View count of photos
« on: October 07, 2013, 11:04:59 AM »
Since I've become active on the boards again (the last two months or so), I've noticed that the view count for most new photos rarely reflects more than about 5 views, which is obviously not the true view count for most (or all) of them.

Is there an explanation for why this happens? Particularly since it didn't happen in the past.

I don't think an accurate view count is a terribly important feature, but it is nice to see accurate view counts in some circumstances. Mostly I'm just asking out of curiosity, though. I realize this may have been discussed somewhere already while I was not looking, but I haven't seen anything about it.

Offline JD

• Supporting Member
Re: View count of photos
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2013, 12:51:02 PM »
When the site was upgraded a few months ago I noticed this change as well. I'm not positive about this, but I think the old format was that a view was counted each time someone only read the thread. Now a picture view is only counted when someone is clicking on the picture to make it bigger.

Josh

Offline MightyPizzaOven

• Supporting Member
    • Mighty Pizza Oven .com
« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2013, 02:28:33 PM »
I think that count reflect the number of time a picture was clicked on and viewed larger  than the size embedded inside the post.
Bert,

Offline tinroofrusted

• Supporting Member
  • Experimenting....
« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2013, 04:51:47 PM »
I think that count reflect the number of time a picture was clicked on and viewed larger  than the size embedded inside the post.
That would be sub-optimal.

Offline Bill/SFNM

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #4 on: October 07, 2013, 05:04:35 PM »
That would be sub-optimal.

What would be optimal?

Are you suggesting that your browser keep track of which photos have appeared on your screen while you scroll through a topic and then upload that information to Steve's server to be tallied?

« Last Edit: October 07, 2013, 05:06:11 PM by Bill/SFNM »

Offline tinroofrusted

• Supporting Member
  • Experimenting....
« Reply #5 on: October 07, 2013, 05:32:59 PM »
That does sound optimal, but I take your point. I guess what it used to do is just keep track of the hits on the page and call that a view, is that right? 

Offline Bill/SFNM

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #6 on: October 07, 2013, 05:36:26 PM »
I don't recall what it used to do, but I agree that the click count for the photo isn't particularly useful.

Offline Aimless Ryan

• Snarky
« Reply #7 on: October 07, 2013, 06:53:39 PM »
At first I thought JD's explanation made complete sense, as I had noticed the view count increase after clicking on one specific picture to make it bigger a few different times. But then this occurred to me: In Reply #163 at http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,25774.msg277131.html#msg277131, I shared four pictures. As of right now, the third pic has been "viewed 5 times." In the very next post, Chicago Bob posted a copy of that pic, and it currently has been "viewed 137 times." There's no way a bunch of people have clicked on the pic in Bob's post but essentially no one has clicked on the original pic in my post, nor clicked on any of the other three originals in my post.

To the best of my knowledge, in the past, the view count would increase by 1 every time a picture loaded onto a browser. So anytime anyone would open any particular page, the view count of every picture on that page would increase by 1, as long as each pic loaded successfully. For example, if you look at this page (http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,12446.240.html) the pics closer to the top have more views than the pics closer to the bottom (because the top pics have been there longer).

Offline Steve

• Steve Zinski
  • Administrator
    • pizzamaking.com
« Reply #8 on: October 09, 2013, 03:58:16 PM »
Fixed. I removed the "views" count for images as it should be the same as the message itself.
Pizzamaking.com is a member-supported public resource. Click HERE to become a Supporting Member.