Author Topic: Chase's Pizza Adventure  (Read 1527 times)

Offline chasenpse

• Supporting Member
    • Battle Hill Media
Re: Chase's Pizza Adventure
« Reply #20 on: December 11, 2013, 02:25:47 PM »
Get used to that. I don't know how long you've been making pizza or how many you've made, but I've made thousands at home and I still experience AHA! moments pretty regularly. For example, a week or two ago I decided to raise my stone a couple rack positions for the first time ever. AHA! Immediately the tops of my pale NY style crusts got some nice brown color, and there didn't seem to be any new negative characteristics in other areas.

I've also had other AHA! moments recently that have contradicted previous AHA! moments. For example, I used to mix my NY style dough for a long time (10 or 15 minutes), which I imagine is probably consistent with how most people initially learn to do it. But for the last few years I've mixed NY style dough for 3 minutes. The switch to a short mix was an AHA! moment. I've always loved the results of the short mix, but lately I've been seeing some problems with the short mix, so I'm gradually increasing the mix time, which is kind of another AHA! moment. I mixed my latest batch for 5 minutes, and since that dough seemed to need more mixing, I'm gonna mix for 6 minutes next time. AHA! in progress?

Indeed, if I had to guess I'd say I've been making pizza for almost 2 years, and only recently did both of what you mentioned above. I don't time my mixing but rather gauge it by eye - once everything comes together I'll let it mix on the lowest speed for another minute or two before removing the dough, letting it rest for 5 minutes and then going into a series of slap & folds / rests. Was an eye opener!
If Tetris has taught me anything, itís that errors pile up and accomplishments disappear.

Offline pizapizza

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #21 on: December 11, 2013, 03:40:47 PM »
great looking pies  :drool:

Offline chasenpse

• Supporting Member
    • Battle Hill Media
« Reply #22 on: December 19, 2013, 01:25:20 PM »
So today was my company's holiday party so of course I decided to bake some pies - much to my surprise everybody loved them! I made a cheese pie, pepperoni pie, hot Italian sausage pie, and a mushrooms + peppers pie. It was my first time making pizza for people other than my family so I was a little nervous but everything worked out in the end. The only shot I was able to take is of my food prep from last night.

I feel obligated to thank everyone here who's been generous enough to share their knowledge and experience. It felt so satisfying to receive compliments on my pies, and if it weren't for this forum I would have never been able to share them with everyone.

Buon appetito!
If Tetris has taught me anything, itís that errors pile up and accomplishments disappear.