Author Topic: Vital wheat gluten and Bel Aria 00  (Read 1556 times)

Offline gschwim

• I Love Pizza!
Vital wheat gluten and Bel Aria 00
« on: August 25, 2006, 11:38:42 PM »
Can anyone tell me the probable effect of adding some vital wheat gluten to Bel Aria 00 (or for that matter, any 00 flour)?  Is it advisable to do this and, if so, what, in baker's percentage, is the proper amount to add?

Gene

Offline varasano

• Seeking perfection
Re: Vital wheat gluten and Bel Aria 00
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2006, 12:17:15 AM »
Don't do it. There are better methods.

Offline Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2006, 12:48:00 AM »
Gene,

I agree with Jeff that there are better ways to go. But if inquiring minds want to know, the probable effects of adding vital wheat gluten (VWG) to a 00 flour is that you will get a chewier crust and a bit more color. The amount of VWG to use will depend on the final protein content you want to achieve. Usually you add enough VWG to close the protein gap between one flour, say a 00 flour in your example, and another flour. The wider the gap, the more the amount of VWG that has to be used. But even when you close the gap, the final product will not be equivalent to the higher protein flour that you tried to emulate by using the VWG. As an experiment your proposition might teach you something but the results won't be particularly useful, and especially so if you use a 00 flour as a base flour to supplement with VWG.

I have described how to do these sorts of things with VWG before, including at Replies 65 and 66, starting at http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,576.msg5635.html#msg5635.

Peter

Offline gschwim

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2006, 01:48:32 AM »
Versano,

If there are better methods, I certainly want to try them.  Can you (and/or anyone) suggest the best way to go?

Thanks.

Gene