Author Topic: My first pizza post  (Read 611 times)

Offline Sartanely

My first pizza post
« on: October 07, 2013, 05:16:23 PM »
This is my first pizza pics Have been making pizzas for a wile now. Learned lot from this forum. Also tasted 1/2 in baking steel. 
Lehman's 3 day dough
 Mixture of full strength bromated and KABF 
Water  63%
Fresh Yeast 0.5%
Oil 1%
Gluten powder 2%
Salt 1.75%
I really do not know what style pizza it is but would say that it was little bit chewy to me. Taste was good. My favorite flour still is KABF but just wanted to test full strength. Used it alone but was not impressed.
As for steel not sure yet. I see that it heats faster than my 18x18x1 stone. Baked time was 6-7 minutes with top broiler on. Still have problem with large bubbles.

Offline tinroofrusted

• Supporting Member
  • Experimenting....
Re: My first pizza post
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2013, 05:26:55 PM »
Hey Sart, that looks really good. Love the open hole structure on the rim.  I see you used gluten powder. I haven't heard of that before. I take it that is to make the flour even more glutinous than the flour itself?  Do you use it regularly? 

Online JD

• Supporting Member
« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2013, 06:03:45 PM »

I really do not know what style pizza it is but would say that it was little bit chewy to me. Taste was good. My favorite flour still is KABF but just wanted to test full strength. Used it alone but was not impressed.
As for steel not sure yet. I see that it heats faster than my 18x18x1 stone. Baked time was 6-7 minutes with top broiler on. Still have problem with large bubbles.

Your problems are not problems, that looks like a nice NY style pizza to me and your recipe is in line with one too. Ditch the "Gluten powder" though which I'm assuming is just Vital Wheat Gluten.

Nice work!
Josh

Offline Sartanely

« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2013, 06:06:11 PM »
Hey Sart, that looks really good. Love the open hole structure on the rim.  I see you used gluten powder. I haven't heard of that before. I take it that is to make the flour even more glutinous than the flour itself?  Do you use it regularly?
Thank
I am really not a big fan of adding additive and powders when it comes to pizzas as I like the flour  to be free of any chemical addition, that's why I do not use it that much just was trying to make NY pizza and after reading I see that most experienced pizza makers here use high gluten flour for NY style which was not available for me at that time and decided to increase the strength by adding Vital Wheat gluten. But I still prefer KABF from the flour I have tried so far becomes it is not that chewy and tough ad high gluten flours
This is the powder I used in this dough

Online Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #4 on: October 07, 2013, 07:29:44 PM »
Sartanely,

I agree with the others. You don't need vital wheat gluten for the Lehmann NY style dough formulation you are using. If you want a bromated flour, the Full Strength flour alone should be sufficient. If you want an unbromated flour, the KABF flour alone should be sufficient. Combining the two flours really doesn't buy you much although the VWG will increase the protein content. But you don't need the higher protein content.

Peter

pizzapan