Author Topic: Hydration Frustration  (Read 2587 times)

Offline boalpd

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizza!
Re: Hydration Frustration
« Reply #20 on: October 17, 2013, 08:20:46 AM »
Pete-zza,

You really need to find the time to do a brain dump into a book. I've been here for a month, reading and learning every day. My thanks to you and all the other frequent contributors that make this forum so great.

Phil :)

Offline kerrymarcy

• I can't and won't stop eating pizza!
« Reply #21 on: October 17, 2013, 08:40:09 PM »
Peter,  This batch of dough that I made from the steps that you outlined in Tomato Pies thread worked exceptionally well-so well that I did not need to add any extra flour.  I'm becoming a proponent of sifting the flour now before adding it to the mixing bowl.  Sifting and adding small amounts of flour to the water with the paddle attachment, seems to hydrate the flour faster and more thoroughly before switching to the hook.  I'm beginning to think that this is an imperative step for complete hydration before moving to the hook.
Although, incorporating the IDY in with the flour seems to speed up the cold fermentation a bit with this procedure.  I noticed that the dough after 24-hour cold ferment, looked more like a 48-hour ferment using the same dough formula that I used in replicating your previous experiment which used .5% IDY.  I wonder if holding off a little bit before adding the IDY, like you did before, would be a good idea so that you can comfortably reach a 3-day ferment. 
Nevertheless,  I seem to have learned a great deal from you in this thread and will definitely change the way I go about making dough in the future.  Thank you Peter and Scott123 for all your help!-Good people!

Kerry

Online Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #22 on: October 17, 2013, 08:54:04 PM »
Kerry,

Yes, you can add the IDY later in the process and, all being equal, you should be able to move the window of usability out further in time. In my case with the tomato pie test doughs, I was shooting for either a one-day or two-day cold fermentation window. I was also trying to replicate someone else's work (a pizzeria specializing in tomato pies).

Peter