Author Topic: Adding wood to the Blackstone  (Read 1293 times)

Offline Pook

• Brandon
Adding wood to the Blackstone
« on: October 08, 2013, 01:41:19 PM »
While picking up things for the BS arrival, I stumbled upon a cheap, CI smoker box that may be possible to add flavor.  Was thinking of using small chunks, not chips, and placing the smoker box on top of the upper ceramic.  Has anyone tried this?  CI will hold up to the heat, rust doesn't bother me.  Plan is to create some double folded HD foil curtains on the front of unit to help hold the heat and smoke in during preheat and cooking times?  Figured the flexing in foil could help with launch and removal of the pizza.  The high heat preheat would get the chunks cooked long enough past the white smoke to the "invisible smoke".  Could maybe lay the smoker box on its side, to help shield the side of the BS that gets the brunt end of the fire?  Even two of them side-by-side on top would be worth the $25 to me to add flavor?

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Brinkmann-Cast-Iron-Smoker-Box-812-7222-S/203014793
It is close to the size of a split firebrick.

Would appreciate your thoughts.  :)
« Last Edit: October 08, 2013, 02:14:20 PM by Pook »
"And let us not grow weary in doing good: for in due season we shall reap, if we faint not."  Galations 6:9

Offline tinroofrusted

• Supporting Member
  • Experimenting....
Re: Adding wood to the Blackstone
« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2013, 06:57:09 PM »
While picking up things for the BS arrival, I stumbled upon a cheap, CI smoker box that may be possible to add flavor.  Was thinking of using small chunks, not chips, and placing the smoker box on top of the upper ceramic.  Has anyone tried this?  CI will hold up to the heat, rust doesn't bother me.  Plan is to create some double folded HD foil curtains on the front of unit to help hold the heat and smoke in during preheat and cooking times?  Figured the flexing in foil could help with launch and removal of the pizza.  The high heat preheat would get the chunks cooked long enough past the white smoke to the "invisible smoke".  Could maybe lay the smoker box on its side, to help shield the side of the BS that gets the brunt end of the fire?  Even two of them side-by-side on top would be worth the $25 to me to add flavor?

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Brinkmann-Cast-Iron-Smoker-Box-812-7222-S/203014793
It is close to the size of a split firebrick.

Would appreciate your thoughts.  :)

I have thought about hanging a metal box on one of the interior walls of the BS.  I also have foil "curtains" in front (which is a double folded piece of foil hung from the upper cover down in front of the oven opening.  My one question about your idea is whether any of the smoke would circulate back down to where the pizza is. I guess some would.  Also, access might be challenging when the oven is hot (I  take it you would have to remove the top cover to access the smoker box(es)).  Give it a try and see what happens.  It couldn't hurt.
« Last Edit: October 09, 2013, 09:16:41 AM by tinroofrusted »

Offline Pook

• Brandon
« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2013, 11:34:36 PM »
How does the HD foil work for you?  Thought this would work great at keeping the heat in, and flexing during launch and removal.
I don't mind loose fitting the top to add foil and smoker box for each pizza cook.  I usually do one 15" pie per sesh anyways.

I bought one smoker box at HD, will give it a try.  Thought the convection without an upper exit like other grills would move the smoke around to the pie, with a slight gap inbetween the bottom part of the curtains to let air and smoke escape, and giving a small window to see the pie as it cooks.

Used 0.028 SS, a jigsaw, clamp, and file to create a $10 Chauflector today.   10 min to trace and cut, 10 min to file the edges.  Curved the edges by hand.  Went a little conservative with the angle allowing for an adjustment.  May have to go more acute with 14-15" pies.   
« Last Edit: October 08, 2013, 11:43:57 PM by Pook »
"And let us not grow weary in doing good: for in due season we shall reap, if we faint not."  Galations 6:9

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
    • learningknowledgetomakepizza
« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2013, 08:54:12 AM »
Pook,

I have no idea how a CI smoker box will work in the BS, but I have tried wood chips and wood in my bbq grill mod.  One example of that is at Reply 3 http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,20126.msg197680.html#msg197680 and another one to show you what the fire looked like at Reply 62 http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,20126.msg203296.html#msg203296

Another example more recently is at Reply 2 http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,26311.msg265605.html#msg265605   7th photo down and at Reply 5 http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,26311.msg265608.html#msg265608 8th photo down, and at Reply 6 http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,26311.msg265609.html#msg265609

Those pizzas were in my bbq mod before I purchased the BS.

I guess what I am trying to say is when I used the wood or wood chips I never got a smoked taste or a different flavor in those pizzas. 

Maybe adding a CI smoker box will give added flavor though.

Norma
Always working and looking for new information!

Offline Pook

• Brandon
« Reply #4 on: October 09, 2013, 11:01:29 AM »
Thanks for your reply.  Some pretty gas grill pizzas Norma.  Gotta ask, is that Aleppo in the ziplock?

I will give the small chunks a try.  Lord help me, I have all these thoughts without even owning a BS yet.  :-[

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
    • learningknowledgetomakepizza
« Reply #5 on: October 09, 2013, 11:29:56 AM »
Gotta ask, is that Aleppo in the ziplock?

I will give the small chunks a try.  Lord help me, I have all these thoughts without even owning a BS yet.  :-[

Pook,

Yes, that is the Aleppo in the ziplock.  Diana gave it to me. 

Good luck with small chunks of wood.  Lol I know about having thoughts when not owning something myself.

Norma
Always working and looking for new information!

Offline italdream

« Reply #6 on: October 09, 2013, 01:06:39 PM »
Often I find that the only thing missing from my NP-style pizzas is an extra wood/smoky flavor. I would be interested in pursuing ideas about adding smoker. I think that the top stone is not the right placement because it would require opening the top to refill and the air circulation would be sub-optimal.

Offline Pook

• Brandon
« Reply #7 on: October 09, 2013, 01:48:11 PM »
I agree italdream.  May not get hot enough up there to burn with the chunks wrapped in CI.  A smoker box with chunks(chips will burn too fast), on its side not far from the flame?  Could help protect the side that gets blasted with the majority of the heat?  When my BS arrives, I will look into it.
« Last Edit: October 09, 2013, 02:01:38 PM by Pook »

Offline pz

• I Love Pizza!
    • good food & friends
« Reply #8 on: October 10, 2013, 01:49:32 AM »
I don't know anything about the Blackstone except what I've seen in photos and videos, but the 12" A-maze-n Tube Smoker works well for generating good smoke flavor.  Fill the unit with the pellets of choice (I like alder), light the pellets, and you get up to 4 hours of smoke.  However, because I have not seen the inside of the Blackstone, I do not know if the tube smoke generator will fit.

http://www.amazon.com/A-maze-n-Tube-Smoker-12/dp/B00CS6YFIC/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1381383935&sr=8-3&keywords=amazen
My online cookbook: good food & friends

Offline TXCraig1

« Reply #9 on: October 10, 2013, 09:21:26 AM »
Often I find that the only thing missing from my NP-style pizzas is an extra wood/smoky flavor. I would be interested in pursuing ideas about adding smoker.

Does NP pizza in Italy have a wood/smoky flavor? I've never tasted a NP-style pizza in the US that does.
I love pigs. They convert vegetables into bacon.

Offline thezaman

• Lifetime Member
  • I Love Pizza!
    • lorenzos pizza
« Reply #10 on: October 10, 2013, 10:08:47 AM »
Does NP pizza in Italy have a wood/smoky flavor? I've never tasted a NP-style pizza in the US that does.

craig, i dont think so. when i was in naples i was able to visit the caputo mill and talk with Antimo . he stated that in blind taste tests  they were not able to taste the difference between wood and gas cooked pizzas. i have a blackstone and cannot taste a difference between the two cooking methods.

Offline norcoscia

• I really Love Pizza!
« Reply #11 on: October 10, 2013, 01:48:06 PM »
Something like this might work (see link below) but I read somewhere at high temps (north of 700-800 degrees) not much smoke flavor is noticeable / transferred.

I think that is why most folks say pretty much any hard wood will work. I don't have a WFO but I just did some checking before I ordered pellets for my UUNI. The Blackstone looks like it is a pretty nice oven - wish I had more room for one - guess I could have sold a smoker to make some room but decide to give the UUNI a spin.

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=frSrfMjjC3M" target="_blank" class="aeva_link bbc_link new_win">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=frSrfMjjC3M</a>

Offline bbqchuck

• Supporting Member
« Reply #12 on: October 10, 2013, 02:03:11 PM »
If I was trying to introduce smoke into a Blacksone, I might try one of these Smoke Daddy cans.  Basically, they are a "bodgy can" like pictured above. 
http://www.smokedaddyinc.com/

But, even being a bbq guy, I would say I don't think smoke on a pizza would appeal to me.  But I could be wrong, since I haven't tried it. 

I do wonder if any smoke can even exist in an oven at 900F+, since as temperatures go up, smoke gases and particulates get consumed/burned off.

Offline Jet_deck

• Supporting Member
« Reply #13 on: October 10, 2013, 02:07:25 PM »
....I do wonder if any smoke can even exist in an oven at 900F+, since as temperatures go up, smoke gases and particulates get consumed/burned off.

+1.  I just don't see how the smoke is going to stay anywhere near the floor where the pizza cooks.
Her mind is Tiffany-twisted, she got the Mercedes bends

Offline Pook

• Brandon
« Reply #14 on: October 10, 2013, 05:20:52 PM »
So, guess italdream and I are the only ones that can taste a hint of wood coal from a WFO pizza?  Apparently, it is the Italian umami?  :-D
I think it has to do with the majority of Blackstone users converted from a gas oven, to a gas pizza oven.
Craig, are the ovens in Naples powered by gas?

To clarify guys, I'm not interested in BBQ smoking a pizza(white smoke).  Looking for a way to incorporate wood coal flavor with burning chunks, not slow smoking chunks.  I will try to slightly emulate the brick oven flavor that separates an egged pizza over lump charcoal(carbonized wood) from any other method I have tried.  Yes, I can taste it when comparing it to a gas oven pizza. 

That subtle difference, to me and especially my guests, is a big one.  I know it won't be a perfect match, but dough absorbs flavors much easier than a 1" pork chop.

Got a couple of ideas in mind, will give it a shot and see what happens.  I was told that the Baking Steel wouldn't work in a BGE.  Through trial and error, I made it work.   
« Last Edit: October 10, 2013, 05:44:26 PM by Pook »

Offline TXCraig1

« Reply #15 on: October 10, 2013, 05:46:34 PM »
So, guess I'm the only one that can taste a hint of wood coal from a WFO pizza?  Apparently, it is the Italian umami?  :-D
I think it has to do with the majority of Blackstone users converted from a gas oven, to a gas pizza oven.
Craig, are the ovens in Naples powered by gas?

I doubt you will  find a gas oven in any of the big name places in Naples. My guess is that they would be fairly uncommon as a general rule.

I think it's pretty easy to mistake the char taste for smoke flavor.

Maybe you get some smoke flavor in an egg running at a significantly lower temp - where you are baking above the coals, but not in a WFO running at anything near Neapolitan temps.

Offline Pook

• Brandon
« Reply #16 on: October 10, 2013, 05:54:55 PM »
You don't pick up any wood coal flavor off your WFO when cooking NPs?  What about when reheating leftovers, if you have any? ;)

I run my egg totally wide open at NP temps where the flames are wrapping around the steel, and I pick it up.  All lump is, is preburnt natural wood.

It's definitely not char, because after years of charring and not browning steaks, I really don't prefer alot of it.

« Last Edit: October 10, 2013, 05:58:23 PM by Pook »

Offline Pook

• Brandon
« Reply #17 on: October 10, 2013, 06:04:39 PM »
Hijacking my own thread Craig. :-D
In regards to your NP recipe, I would like to try it when I receive my BS.

If you only had access to IDY, can it be modified?
If so, how would you do it? (In grams)

« Last Edit: October 10, 2013, 06:11:58 PM by Pook »

Offline TXCraig1

« Reply #18 on: October 10, 2013, 06:25:33 PM »
You don't pick up any wood coal flavor off your WFO when cooking NPs?  What about when reheating leftovers, if you have any? ;)

I run my egg totally wide open at NP temps where the flames are wrapping around the steel, and I pick it up.  All lump is, is preburnt natural wood.

It's definitely not char, because after years of charring and not browning steaks, I really don't prefer alot of it.

No. None at all. And, proper char on a pizza doesn't taste bitter. It's actually very important in the overall balance of the pie.

How hot do you think your egg is running? When I say NP temps, I'm talking about temperatures in excess of 850F, and often higher. I'm running around 950F measured on the walls farthest from the fire. The deck will be 850F+/-25F.

Why are you getting flames from lump charcoal? There is nothing in lump charcoal to flame. It's not exactly pre-burnt; it's heated in the absence of oxygen to drive off everything except the carbon and some ash. All the volatiles are gone, so there shouldn't be anything to make flame.

Offline Pook

• Brandon
« Reply #19 on: October 10, 2013, 06:31:03 PM »
Dome temp is easily 850, probably higher.
My deck temp is only 600 and climbing fast before launch.
When the lump is at its peak BTUs, that is when the pie goes in.
Pic for reference, most times the flames surround the steel. 
« Last Edit: October 10, 2013, 06:34:33 PM by Pook »