Author Topic: Adding wood to the Blackstone  (Read 1571 times)

Offline TXCraig1

Re: Adding wood to the Blackstone
« Reply #20 on: October 10, 2013, 06:55:46 PM »
Dome temps for NP would are 1100+++

That is some impurities burning off. This is a flame  ;)
I love pigs. They convert vegetables into bacon.

Offline italdream

« Reply #21 on: October 11, 2013, 09:31:57 AM »
Does NP pizza in Italy have a wood/smoky flavor? I've never tasted a NP-style pizza in the US that does.
You are right.  It does not have a smoky flavor.  Smoky is not the right word.  Not smoky like in smoked mozzarella or ham,  but there isan extra flavor from wood oven that is missing in the BS. May be just my dough is a little plainer, but I am curious if we can add some WFO flavor.

So a smoker might not be the solution bug I am willing to try.

In my case,  going back to a camaldoli or ischia starter would provide better incremental value but I am still curious to try.

Writing from my mobile,  sorry if they are typos

Edit: Pizza flavors will vary from one place to the other, from one oven to the other and from one pizzaiolo to the other. The Trianon across Da Michele added a few decades ago an oven on the second floor (allegedly same brand and all - although I am not sure). For years, people have disagreed on which pizza was better. So in some case the ("WFO-flavor") will be more distinct than others, but it is there and I find it appealing.
« Last Edit: October 11, 2013, 10:24:58 AM by italdream »

Offline italdream

« Reply #22 on: October 11, 2013, 09:35:08 AM »
Does NP pizza in Italy have a wood/smoky flavor? I've never tasted a NP-style pizza in the US that does.

craig, i dont think so. when i was in naples i was able to visit the caputo mill and talk with Antimo . he stated that in blind taste tests  they were not able to taste the difference between wood and gas cooked pizzas. i have a blackstone and cannot taste a difference between the two cooking methods.
I met Antimo several times.  I like him but he would tell you that all you need is caputo (and perhaps Ciao tomatoes).  Just joking but there is difference IMHO.  Try a bad wood and see if there is a difference.
« Last Edit: October 11, 2013, 09:54:32 AM by italdream »

Offline Pook

• Brandon
« Reply #23 on: October 11, 2013, 01:41:22 PM »
Dome temps for NP would are 1100+++

That is some impurities burning off. This is a flame  ;)

Very nice Craig 8).  I too, am a pyromaniac.  I would guess that one min in after launch, I'm not far from 1100, at least 1000.  My problem is loosing too much heat on the egg through the dome hole. 

Didn't intend to offend on the recipe request.  I have no idea where to find an ischia starter in the Midwest.  The only thing I can find is ADY or IDY?  I'll look around or ask here and hopefully find a NP recipe.  I will at least try a warmer fermentation.   
"And let us not grow weary in doing good: for in due season we shall reap, if we faint not."  Galations 6:9

Offline TXCraig1

« Reply #24 on: October 11, 2013, 01:57:04 PM »
Didn't intend to offend on the recipe request.  I have no idea where to find an ischia starter in the Midwest.  The only thing I can find is ADY or IDY?  I'll look around or ask here and hopefully find a NP recipe.  I will at least try a warmer fermentation.   

No offence. I didn't realize it was a request. My recipe and everything I do is detailed here: http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,20479.0.html

You can substitute 0.02% IDY for the 1.3% Ischia culture.

I think most people get their Ischia from here: http://www.sourdo.com/cultures/italian-cultures-includes-two/ You can get it from the same vendor through amazon.com as well.
I love pigs. They convert vegetables into bacon.

Offline Pook

• Brandon
« Reply #25 on: October 11, 2013, 03:06:11 PM »
Thank you, I am looking forward to trying this!
May have to explore the cultures soon as well.
"And let us not grow weary in doing good: for in due season we shall reap, if we faint not."  Galations 6:9

pizzapan