Author Topic: all burned up-- some serious charring  (Read 1448 times)

Offline waltertore

• Vendor
    • The Smiling With Hope Bakery
all burned up-- some serious charring
« on: October 08, 2013, 05:52:13 PM »
Yesterday we were super busy.  I had too many recipes going at once.  My brain done overloaded.  We were on our last pizza dough ball and I made a pepperoni pie.  Well at least 30 minutes later I noticed smoke coming out of the top deck oven vent.  Man, I forgot about the PIE!!  We were making/boiling/baking bagels, /making/baking french bread/coffee cake/brownies/3 different cookie recipes/dog biscuits/cinnamon rolls and pizzas, So here it is for all of you that love charring :-D  I have burned pies in my day but this one takes that cake.  I was going to laquer it and hang it on the wall but decided to toss it after I took these picutures.  So if anybody wants to learn how to make one of these babies just slide it on the stone at about 570 degrees for at least a 1/2 hour.  I think my dogs would have loved it!   Walter

Offline CJ

Re: all burned up-- some serious charring
« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2013, 05:59:08 PM »
Leopard spots are so yesterday, I think you are on to something with the Panther crust.
Run with it.

Offline mkevenson

• Lifetime Member
  • Roos! Protector of Fowl
« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2013, 06:16:46 PM »
Add some red bell peppers for contrast :-D
"Gettin' better all the time" Beatles

Offline waltertore

• Vendor
« Reply #3 on: October 08, 2013, 07:10:47 PM »
The blodgett 1000 deck oven is the coolest pizza oven out there IMO.  The only downside is there is no timer or window on the door :)  In retrospect I wish I had saved it.  It is some cool looking art.  I may have to burn another one.  Walter

Offline shuboyje

« Reply #4 on: October 08, 2013, 07:53:44 PM »
In my experience they never taste as charred as they look, you really should have tried it before you threw it out.  Could have been your best yet.
-Jeff

Offline waltertore

• Vendor
« Reply #5 on: October 08, 2013, 08:37:09 PM »
In my experience they never taste as charred as they look, you really should have tried it before you threw it out.  Could have been your best yet.

this one was like a brick.  I probably burned all the calories out of it.  It was pure charcol ;D

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
    • learningknowledgetomakepizza
« Reply #6 on: October 08, 2013, 09:46:21 PM »
Walter,

Lol, you outdid me with your charring.  8) I also smelled something burning at Reply 669 http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,9908.msg115271.html#msg115271  and made a pumpkin out of my charred burnt pizza.   :-D

Norma
Always working and looking for new information!

Offline bbqchuck

« Reply #7 on: October 08, 2013, 09:59:57 PM »
So this is what happened to Clooney and Bullock's pizza....it re-entered the atmosphere :-D

Offline bbqchuck

« Reply #8 on: October 08, 2013, 10:13:39 PM »
This is New York style?  I'm just a Southern California guy.  I had no idea what all the rage about New York style was all about.  >:D

scott123

« Reply #9 on: October 08, 2013, 10:16:34 PM »
I think we need Robert Deniro from the movie Backdraft to tell us if an accelerant was used  ;D

Offline bbqchuck

« Reply #10 on: October 08, 2013, 11:27:03 PM »
Is this what they are talking about when they say Blackstone?.  :-D

Offline waltertore

• Vendor
« Reply #11 on: October 09, 2013, 06:11:08 AM »
Norma:  That was really creative what you did with your burnt pie.  I am sure I will burn another one down the road and yours was an inspiration to make something with it.   My kids loved the burnt pie.  I kept saying things like - you worked so hard today that I made this just for you.  Our principal saw it and took it in the cafeteria and was offering it to kids.  We all had a good laugh.  I need to burn one more often.

BBQ Chuck:  I think I will pass on a blackstone :)  I wonder if all the calories are burned out of it.  I could market it to Southern CA people as the ultimate low calorie NY pie :-D
« Last Edit: October 09, 2013, 06:12:57 AM by waltertore »

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
    • learningknowledgetomakepizza
« Reply #12 on: October 09, 2013, 08:29:47 AM »
Is this what they are talking about when they say Blackstone?.  :-D

bbqchuck,

:-D

Norma:  That was really creative what you did with your burnt pie.  I am sure I will burn another one down the road and yours was an inspiration to make something with it.   My kids loved the burnt pie.  I kept saying things like - you worked so hard today that I made this just for you.  Our principal saw it and took it in the cafeteria and was offering it to kids.  We all had a good laugh.  I need to burn one more often.

Walter,

I have burnt other pizzas too.  I think I did post them on the forum.  Glad to hear my pizza Halloween mask was an inspiration for you to make something out of a perfectly good pizza that just happens to be a little charred.   :-D

Glad to hear your student loved the burnt pizza and how everyone had a good laugh about your seriously charred pizza.  ;D  >:D

Norma
Always working and looking for new information!

Offline JD

• Supporting Member
« Reply #13 on: October 09, 2013, 08:58:17 AM »
Beautiful macro blistering  :-D
Josh

Offline bbqchuck

« Reply #14 on: October 09, 2013, 04:34:09 PM »
Remember the old frozen pizza commercial on TV?  "...what do you want on your Tombstone Blackstone?"  :-D

Online Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #15 on: October 09, 2013, 07:22:13 PM »
Walter,

When I was on a shopping trip to Guadalajara, Mexico with my son and his family this past summer, my son bought a painting from a local artist. What made the painting unusual is that at the center of the painting was a charred piece of tortilla. It was an integral part of the painting. So, next time you make a charred pizza, you might have some students use it to make a painting with the charred pizza as the centerpiece :-D.

Peter

Offline waltertore

• Vendor
« Reply #16 on: October 09, 2013, 07:30:12 PM »
I think we need Robert Deniro from the movie Backdraft to tell us if an accelerant was used  ;D

Scott: The accelerant was 120,000 btu's left unattended :)  The good news it made very little mess on the stone.  Walter

Offline waltertore

• Vendor
« Reply #17 on: October 09, 2013, 07:31:57 PM »
Walter,

When I was on a shopping trip to Guadalajara, Mexico with my son and his family this past summer, my son bought a painting from a local artist. What made the painting unusual is that at the center of the painting was a charred piece of tortilla. It was an integral part of the painting. So, next time you make a charred pizza, you might have some students use it to make a painting with the charred pizza as the centerpiece :-D.

Peter

Peter:  Maybe I stumbled onto a way to finance my own pizzeria that would employ disabled people-burnt food art.  It could sell for hundreds of thousands and I could be rid of the hassles of working in public schools.  Walter

Offline wahoo88

« Reply #18 on: October 11, 2013, 11:06:24 AM »
Why no crumb shot? ???

I'm nearly overwhelmed with 5 pizzas baked consecutively.  I have no idea how you manage that kitchen of yours, considering the food isn't even the hard part!

Offline waltertore

• Vendor
« Reply #19 on: October 11, 2013, 02:55:54 PM »
Why no crumb shot? ???

I'm nearly overwhelmed with 5 pizzas baked consecutively.  I have no idea how you manage that kitchen of yours, considering the food isn't even the hard part!

That made me laugh!  It was pure charcol bricket.   My job gets overwhelming often.  Working with the kids and managing the food end is not very stressful.   What is, is the amazing amount of red tape I have to navigate everyday because we earn money.   Our district treasurer oversees my books every month and I have to balance to the penny.  That would be a challenge in any scenario but schools use bookeeping proceedures that are nothing like one uses in the private sector.   I ran my own band, record label, for 20 years.  It was nothing compared to this.  Today the phone was ringing all morning because I had errors in my entries and such. Today was also the school carnival for homecoming week.  It is the one day of the year when clubs can sell food during the 3 lunches.   We made 20 pies, and about 300 other baked goods.   I was navigating my excel sheet, reciepts, and such, while all this was going on, via speaker phone - " could you hold on 30 seconds while I get this out of the oven......" went on for an hour this morning.   I get no tutoring, just called in the 12th hour when they are closing the months books, and I didn't do things right.   If anything drives me out of this gig, this will be it.   I am nearing 60 and getting too old for this stuff.  I am putting a wish out to the universe that I will get some help with this end and or a private sector opportunity arises where I can continue this work without all the school red tape.  I am glad it is FRIDAY!  Walter
« Last Edit: October 11, 2013, 02:59:09 PM by waltertore »