Author Topic: Butter added to Gluten Free Mix?  (Read 1011 times)

Offline juniorballoon

• Supporting Member
    • Sirfoodalot
Butter added to Gluten Free Mix?
« on: September 03, 2013, 06:20:56 PM »
I have some guests coming to a pizza party this weekend that are gluten sensitive, so last night I experimented with Bob's Redmill gluten free pizza mix. It has many of the ingredients that are listed in Irish DaveyBoy's recipe. http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,10105.0.html I added powdered milk and red wine vinegar as well as a bit of sugar that he recommends that the mix did not contain. I also used chicken broth instead of water based on a suggestion read elsewhere. It came out pretty good. Certainly didn't taste bad or have a weird texture, but I made it too thick and it wasn't as light as I would have liked. I will certainly spread it out much thinner next time, but I was wondering if adding butter would lighten the texture?

Thanks,
jb

Offline canadave

• Supporting Member
Re: Butter added to Gluten Free Mix?
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2013, 06:37:02 PM »
I have some guests coming to a pizza party this weekend that are gluten sensitive, so last night I experimented with Bob's Redmill gluten free pizza mix. It has many of the ingredients that are listed in Irish DaveyBoy's recipe. http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,10105.0.html I added powdered milk and red wine vinegar as well as a bit of sugar that he recommends that the mix did not contain. I also used chicken broth instead of water based on a suggestion read elsewhere. It came out pretty good. Certainly didn't taste bad or have a weird texture, but I made it too thick and it wasn't as light as I would have liked. I will certainly spread it out much thinner next time, but I was wondering if adding butter would lighten the texture?

Thanks,
jb

The Bob's Red Mill isn't bad; I've used it many times before for GF pizza.  It does tend to be a bit "dense", which is why I moved away from it.

If you want something with a light texture, I'd recommend upping the powdered milk content, and perhaps a pinch of baking powder too.  The lightest GF pizza I've ever made was this one:

http://cymry-pa.blogspot.ca/2011/01/new-year-new-kitchen-adventures.html

Make sure to read the comments on that blog post--"Anonymous" is me :)  Plus, there's some notes about using the Bob's Red Mill for that recipe (it's designed for Gluten Free Pantry's mix).

Good luck! And remember to take all appropriate cross-contamination precautions when baking the GF pizza.

Offline Skee

« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2013, 07:11:18 PM »
I agree with the suggestion to add some baking powder, it helps get the crust to rise quickly.  Par-baking for five or so minutes before putting on the toppings is also good for getting a lighter crust.

Offline juniorballoon

• Supporting Member
    • Sirfoodalot
« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2013, 11:15:21 AM »
I ran into that website in my earlier research. My local stores, at least the ones I've checked, don't carry that brand. Cy-mry recommends not using eggs. Will removing eggs make the dough denser? Looks like one egg equals about 1/4 cup of liquid. I am running out of time for experiments and will probably have to go with what I did last time with perhaps the addition of some baking powder. One thing I noted with the Bob's Redmill says it's enough for 2 12 inch pies. Based on feeling the ones I did were too thick I think you could get close to 4.

My guests do not have celiac they are just avoiding gluten for other dietary purposes. I asked them about the need to avoid cross contamination and they said it wouldn't be necessary. I have another friend who truly has celiacs and for him I would create a clean space.

Thanks for the notes.

jb

Offline Serpentelli

• Supporting Member
« Reply #4 on: September 04, 2013, 11:25:42 AM »

My guests do not have celiac they are just avoiding gluten for other dietary purposes.

I made a GF pie using the Caputo GF mix last weekend. No celiac disease, but my wife is also "experimenting" with the GF diet. Having tasted the finished product, I can tell you that I will never offer that product as a "pizza substitute" again! If I have guests that are interested in a nice GF meal, we'll have steak.

The whole (non-celiac) GF diet baffles me.....

I mean, what next?

John K

Offline juniorballoon

• Supporting Member
    • Sirfoodalot
« Reply #5 on: September 04, 2013, 11:35:02 AM »
I made a GF pie using the Caputo GF mix last weekend. No celiac disease, but my wife is also "experimenting" with the GF diet. Having tasted the finished product, I can tell you that I will never offer that product as a "pizza substitute" again! If I have guests that are interested in a nice GF meal, we'll have steak.

I mean, what next?

John K

I have begun to plan to cook a chicken or something to make sure there is an alternative to the GF pizza. I do think if I can get the crust to 1/8 inch thick it will make a world of difference.

As for the GF non celiacs diet there are many levels of gluten intolerance. Many are real and people that eat gluten feel poorly. The ones I don't understand are the ones that have no ill affect and simply hear and believe that gluten is bad.

jb

Offline Skee

« Reply #6 on: September 04, 2013, 10:00:32 PM »
As for the GF non celiacs diet there are many levels of gluten intolerance. Many are real and people that eat gluten feel poorly.
My wife suffered digestion problems for many years without knowing the cause - she was bloated, gassy, and (sometimes) in lots of pain every night.  I gritted my teeth and suggested eliminating wheat as a first shot at it, knowing that it would be the most likely but also the most depressing option, and sure enough, cutting out wheat cleared it up.  As an experiment, she added it back in after a couple of weeks and the symptoms returned immediately.  So, no more regular pizza for her and I was on a mission to develop both a thin crust and a Detroit style GF pizza so she could still enjoy the weekly pizza night with the rest of the family.

I will gladly eat the GF pizzas I make but prefer the ones with wheat if given the choice.

Offline juniorballoon

• Supporting Member
    • Sirfoodalot
« Reply #7 on: September 09, 2013, 04:57:36 PM »
I did not add butter, but did add a bit more powdered milk. I forgot to add the baking powder, but as I made them extra thin it didn't seem to be an issue. I didn't actually get to try any of these, but my gluten free guests said they were the best gluten free pizza they'd ever had. I can't take credit as every idea I used I read here. So thanks to all of you.

jb

Offline canadave

• Supporting Member
« Reply #8 on: September 15, 2013, 10:08:23 PM »
Glad to hear it worked out :)

Incidentally, if I may weigh in on the GF commentary in this thread (as a celiac myself):

I think the biggest danger is that a lot of people "try a GF diet" by doing something like eliminating wheat from their diet....then, when they improve, they simply think they have a minor "gluten intolerance".  The danger is, that "intolerance" may very well be full-blown celiac disease; and unless the person goes the extra step and gets tested for celiac, there's a danger that they will continue to ingest gluten because they're feeling "better" due to ingesting less gluten (but not ZERO gluten, which is the ONLY cure for celiac).  This kind of self-diagnosis can lead to real issues down the road.

I urge anyone with a self-diagnosed "gluten intolerance" to get tested for celiac.  The consequences of undiagnosed celiac disease are scary (much higher incidence of all sorts of awful intestinal cancers, etc).  The initial test is a simple blood test to detect certain celiac antibodies.  If that comes back positive, all it takes is a minor procedure (endoscopy) to confirm the diagnosis.

Offline pantalones

• my website
« Reply #9 on: November 25, 2013, 11:31:02 PM »

The fad part is silly, but lots of people are truly discovering their allergies/intolerances after fasting from wheat gluten for 2-3 weeks. So let's not get into that. But, I will say this: Totally agree about Caputo FioreGlut. I bought a tub of it. Here's my review:

Pros
- It leopards and looks like normal crust
- It develops a fairly accurate crumb
- Crust rises very well (I am cooking around 900 but got this to work on a friend's stove at 500)

Cons
- It tastes like tapioca and has an unpleasant aftertaste
- It has no elasticity whatsoever (have to thumb-flatten, whatever that technique is called) and rips when you stretch it
- It has a weird crunch to it
- It needs more salt than usual flour

Trying K-A this weekend

Offline red kiosk

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #10 on: November 30, 2013, 07:12:37 AM »

Cons
- It tastes like tapioca and has an unpleasant aftertaste
- It has no elasticity whatsoever (have to thumb-flatten, whatever that technique is called) and rips when you stretch it
- It has a weird crunch to it
- It needs more salt than usual flour

I've been using 48% of an GF Ischia sourdough starter (activated/fed with FioreGlut) in my recipe to bring the taste up to where it should be. I also do a three day cold ferment. Yes, more salt is needed with FioreGlut, I use 4%. A GF dough will never stretch because it has no gluten! You have to use the flattening technique to open it up. A Super Peel Pro or WFO SuperPeel makes the dough transfer/launching very easy and virtually eliminates any build-up of burnt GF flour on the stone. Hope this helps and take care!

Jim
The pathologically precise are annoying, but right!