Author Topic: Ribalta goes GF  (Read 1003 times)

Offline Serpentelli

• Supporting Member
Ribalta goes GF
« on: October 09, 2013, 11:03:56 AM »
I got this email with video link regarding Pasquale Cozzolino, the chef/owner at Ribalta learning that he has celiac disease.

http://abclocal.go.com/wabc/story?section=news/lifestyle&id=9279781

John K

Offline Mmmph

• Lifetime Member
Re: Ribalta goes GF
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2013, 11:34:41 AM »
Give up wheat flour?
That would just kill me.
Sono venuto, ho visto, ho mangiato

Offline Serpentelli

• Supporting Member
« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2013, 11:43:21 AM »
Tell me about it. At least in terms of pizza.

The wife went GF for 10 days ( ??? ) and being a good spouse, I tried to make a GF pizza one night with the Caputo GF.

It was horrible. The stuff that Pasquale is making looks MUCH better, but ugh, that undercrust looks as appetizing as Wonder Bread.

Offline red kiosk

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2013, 02:30:54 PM »
John,

Now that you have the 2Stone, you should be able to turn out a decent Caputo FioreGlut GF pizza with the right recipe. The last few out of my Blackstone actually had me looking forward to leftovers the next morning (even though I'm what you would call Gluten-Plus). I've found that LOTS of GF sourdough starter, more salt and a 3 day refrigerator ferment made the world of difference in texture and taste. A Super Peel makes it possible to move a properly assembled GF pizza to another peel for launching onto a rotating stone. Doing another batch with a final % recipe tweak and improved GF dough forming skills this weekend for some GF friends. 'll post some pics of the pies next week. But here's a pic of my first Blackstone GF pizza with Caputo FioreGlut and the GF sourdough starter. Take care!

Jim

The pathologically precise are annoying, but right!

Offline canadave

• Supporting Member
« Reply #4 on: October 09, 2013, 03:29:13 PM »
I got this email with video link regarding Pasquale Cozzolino, the chef/owner at Ribalta learning that he has celiac disease.

http://abclocal.go.com/wabc/story?section=news/lifestyle&id=9279781

John K

John, THANK YOU for posting this.  I actually used to live a few blocks from where Ribalta is, and I'm just like Pasquale pretty much--grew up on pizza in NYC, learned to make it myself for years, and suddenly was diagnosed with celiac.  This piece really touched me. I'm heading back to NYC for a visit, and I'm going to be sure to go try the pizza at Ribalta's!

Offline Serpentelli

• Supporting Member
« Reply #5 on: October 09, 2013, 04:02:39 PM »
John,

Now that you have the 2Stone, you should be able to turn out a decent Caputo FioreGlut GF pizza with the right recipe. The last few out of my Blackstone actually had me looking forward to leftovers the next morning (even though I'm what you would call Gluten-Plus). I've found that LOTS of GF sourdough starter, more salt and a 3 day refrigerator ferment made the world of difference in texture and taste. A Super Peel makes it possible to move a properly assembled GF pizza to another peel for launching onto a rotating stone. Doing another batch with a final % recipe tweak and improved GF dough forming skills this weekend for some GF friends. 'll post some pics of the pies next week. But here's a pic of my first Blackstone GF pizza with Caputo FioreGlut and the GF sourdough starter. Take care!

Jim

Jim,

I would be certainly willing to try another batch of GF dough if I could make it look like THAT! :chef:
Looking forward to some more specifics about your recipe and workflow when you are able.

John, THANK YOU for posting this.  I actually used to live a few blocks from where Ribalta is, and I'm just like Pasquale pretty much--grew up on pizza in NYC, learned to make it myself for years, and suddenly was diagnosed with celiac.  This piece really touched me. I'm heading back to NYC for a visit, and I'm going to be sure to go try the pizza at Ribalta's!

Dave,

You are welcome! I hope that you find his GF version a suitable substitute for the (W)heathen version...

Offline red kiosk

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #6 on: October 09, 2013, 06:30:44 PM »
Looking forward to some more specifics about your recipe and workflow when you are able.

Will do! I'll post recipe, workflow and some pics when the GF pizzas are where I think they should be… and it's very, very close. BTW, I just received the first WFO Super Peel which will save a pizza peel transfer step and pretty much eliminate the charred GF flour that accumulates on the stone from trying to use a regular pizza peel to launch a GF pizza. I've been launching some practice "dummy" GF pizzas onto the rotating stone, for the opening on the Blackstone is somewhat small.

Please keep posting info on you 2Stone journey, for I am extremely interested. I loved your pics in the "Bliss" thread and was salivating over the one with some of the pieces in a box. I was talking with Willard about the same model of 2Stone, just before I decided to test the waters with a Blackstone. For what it is, at that cost, the Blackstone is a great little oven. What it did do, was make me realize that I love cooking pizzas on this type of alternative oven and will definitely want something more substantial and quality-built next year. The Blackstone may be a gift in disguise for Willard, in that others, who maybe never would have wanted to experiment at the price-point of the 2Stone, will decide to upgrade to a quality, longer-lasting oven after using the Blackstone. I know I did. Take care!

Jim

Offline Serpentelli

• Supporting Member
« Reply #7 on: October 10, 2013, 11:09:14 AM »
Will do! I'll post recipe, workflow and some pics when the GF pizzas are where I think they should be… and it's very, very close. BTW, I just received the first WFO Super Peel which will save a pizza peel transfer step and pretty much eliminate the charred GF flour that accumulates on the stone from trying to use a regular pizza peel to launch a GF pizza. I've been launching some practice "dummy" GF pizzas onto the rotating stone, for the opening on the Blackstone is somewhat small.

Please keep posting info on you 2Stone journey, for I am extremely interested. I loved your pics in the "Bliss" thread and was salivating over the one with some of the pieces in a box. I was talking with Willard about the same model of 2Stone, just before I decided to test the waters with a Blackstone. For what it is, at that cost, the Blackstone is a great little oven. What it did do, was make me realize that I love cooking pizzas on this type of alternative oven and will definitely want something more substantial and quality-built next year. The Blackstone may be a gift in disguise for Willard, in that others, who maybe never would have wanted to experiment at the price-point of the 2Stone, will decide to upgrade to a quality, longer-lasting oven after using the Blackstone. I know I did. Take care!

Jim

OK Jim,

I'm gonna pester you on that recipe! There are many true Celiacs in my pizza circle so I think that if I could offer them a really nice GF NP version they would feel like they could really participate in the pizza night as opposed to sitting on the sidelines and just eating the apps.

I'll do my best to get 2Stone pics up as I use it. The build quality is amazing --- mmmph was over the other night and he has a BS, and said that there's not even a close comparison. From the horizontal adjustment of the burner, to the parabolic shape of the support tray for the stone, to the thickness of the stone, as well as the SS,  the 2 Stone is definitely a beast meant to perform, and to LAST!

John

Offline red kiosk

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #8 on: October 10, 2013, 12:28:42 PM »
I've got two GF-pizza nights coming up… this Saturday and the next. I should have the recipe where I want it after the second night. I'm been playing around with both the hydration % and the GF sourdough starter % to get the dough workable enough by hand so I can form a decent corniche. I don't like rolling it out then pushing in or folding over a corniche. If your friends are true celiacs, you're going to have to cook their's first and then brush off the charred GF flour residue before cooking the regular pizzas. I haven't tried cooking both on the same night yet for it's getting too cold to prep outside and our kitchen is small and the flour usually ends up everywhere.  :-D . The other night I set the Blackstone up right at the open garage door because it was raining. Maybe setting a separate prep table in the garage would work. One thing I know, guests love to be involved in making their pizzas. Take care!

Jim