Author Topic: $28 Di Fara Pizza: Discussion  (Read 877 times)

Offline Jet_deck

• Supporting Member
Her mind is Tiffany-twisted, she got the Mercedes bends

Offline JD

• Supporting Member
Re: $28 Di Fara Pizza: Discussion
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2013, 01:14:58 PM »
Josh

Online scott123

« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2013, 01:20:21 PM »
A fool and his money are soon parted.

Offline Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2013, 01:56:25 PM »
Gene,

Shortly after joining the forum, back in 2004, I thought that it would be fun and interesting to try to reverse engineer and clone a DiFara pizza. I remember being worried at the time that I would get the forum into trouble if I discussed what I thought Dom DeMarco was doing. After all, no one on the forum had previously attempted to reverse engineer and clone a pizza of such a well known and respected pizza maker such as Dom. Another member, who was intimately familiar with the DiFara pizza, even went so far as to tell me details via PM since he, too, was apparently afraid of what might happen if he revealed what he knew about the DiFara pizza. As I later learned, there was not much that was not known publicly about Dom's pizzas. But it wasn't until I got to meet and speak with Dom that I got a better feel for what he was doing. And, in that vein, the biggest revelation that came out of that meeting was that Dom and his family made the dough several times a day, with the dough being usable after about 2-3 hours of fermentation. I even remember Dom showing me the lower part of his oven where he kept the dough balls warm. It wasn't that Dom did not know what he was doing. I remember discussing the merits of long fermentations. He knew that but apparently had concluded that so long as his customers were satisfied, there was no need to change things.

I have never been hard on Domenic even as I knew that what he was doing might have been viewed as a deception by those who really know about pizza. To his credit, he used some of the finest flours, tomatoes, cheeses and toppings available. I likened what he did to putting lipstick on a pig. But, as a capitalist at heart, it never bothered me that Dom capitalized on the appeal of his pizza to those who visited his shop. My view is that if people are happy with his pizzas at the prices he charges, so be it. And, on that score, I don't think that Dom has said or done anything, by way of advertising or otherwise, to promote his pizzas. His customers and writers and reviewers and poll takers and list makers did all of that for him without his having to lift a finger. We should all be so lucky.

Peter

Online scott123

« Reply #4 on: October 09, 2013, 02:19:28 PM »
I remember discussing the merits of long fermentations. He knew that but apparently had concluded that so long as his customers were satisfied, there was no need to change things.

Peter, are you certain that Dom was aware of the merits of long ferments?  Did you talk about the additional flavor long ferments provide?

Offline Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #5 on: October 09, 2013, 02:47:27 PM »
Peter, are you certain that Dom was aware of the merits of long ferments?  Did you talk about the additional flavor long ferments provide?

Scott,

Yes and yes. In fact, Dom told me that he had previously used small amounts of yeast and overnight fermentation, as was reported in Reply 122 at http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,504.msg11222/topicseen.html#msg11222.

I see that I misspoke on the fermentation times of Dom's dough. The fermentation time that Dom mentioned to me was 1-2 hours according to Reply 122 referenced above.

Peter

Offline TXCraig1

« Reply #6 on: October 09, 2013, 07:23:50 PM »
I had a couple pies at Lombardi's on my way back from Di Fara last year. $21 for the garbage  they serve at Lombardi's made the just OK $28 pie at Di Fara seem like a steal.
Pizza is not bread.

Offline tinroofrusted

• Supporting Member
  • Experimenting....
« Reply #7 on: October 09, 2013, 11:39:52 PM »
Scott,

Yes and yes. In fact, Dom told me that he had previously used small amounts of yeast and overnight fermentation, as was reported in Reply 122 at http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,504.msg11222/topicseen.html#msg11222.

I see that I misspoke on the fermentation times of Dom's dough. The fermentation time that Dom mentioned to me was 1-2 hours according to Reply 122 referenced above.

Peter

Thanks for the link to that DiFara thread Peter.  I very much enjoyed going back and reading it. 

pizzapan