Author Topic: Tom Lehmann's NY Style Pizza  (Read 553721 times)

Offline Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
Re: Tom Lehmann's NY Style Pizza
« Reply #1150 on: June 05, 2015, 08:05:08 PM »
sisterpat,

To be sure I understand, did you use only volume measurements? If you used volume measurements for the flour and water, can you tell me exactly how you measured out the flour and water volumetrically? And did you measure the finished dough temperature?

The recipe you used is the one posted on the forum at http://www.pizzamaking.com/lehmann-nystyle.php.

Peter

Offline sisterpat

« Reply #1151 on: June 05, 2015, 08:31:52 PM »
Thanks, Pete.  I measured volume with a measuring cup for water and a dry measuring cup for flour.  I do not know how to measure the final dough temp.

Online jvp123

• Supporting Member
  • Learning and loving it!
« Reply #1152 on: June 05, 2015, 08:47:37 PM »
Thanks, Pete.  I measured volume with a measuring cup for water and a dry measuring cup for flour.  I do not know how to measure the final dough temp.

I think it might be helpful sisterpat (if your finances allow) to purchase a scale or two, a probe thermometer, and a laser thermometer. 

Here are some examples:

http://www.amazon.com/Smart-Weigh-Digital-Back-Lit-Display/dp/B00IZ1YHZK/?tag=pmak-20

http://www.amazon.com/American-Weigh-AWS-1KG-BLK-Signature-Digital/dp/B002SC3LLS/?tag=pmak-20

http://www.amazon.com/Everyday-Cooking-Essentials-Instant-Thermometer/dp/B00PQY7PUS/?tag=pmak-20

http://www.amazon.com/Etekcity-Lasergrip-Temperature-Non-contact-Thermometer/dp/B00837ZGRY/?tag=pmak-20
Jeff

Offline Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #1153 on: June 05, 2015, 09:14:21 PM »
sisterpat,

I used the expanded dough calculating tool at http://www.pizzamaking.com/expanded-calculator.html and did some calculations to come up with the specific Lehmann dough formulation you used, as follows:

King Arthur Sir Lancelot Flour (100%):
Water (63.118%):
IDY (0.49439%):
Salt (1.5209%):
Olive Oil (0.95057%):
Total (166.08386%):
263 g  |  9.28 oz | 0.58 lbs
166 g  |  5.86 oz | 0.37 lbs
1.3 g | 0.05 oz | 0 lbs | 0.43 tsp | 0.14 tbsp
4 g | 0.14 oz | 0.01 lbs | 0.72 tsp | 0.24 tbsp
2.5 g | 0.09 oz | 0.01 lbs | 0.56 tsp | 0.19 tbsp
436.8 g | 15.41 oz | 0.96 lbs | TF = N/A

There are a few reasons I can think of off the top of my head why you may have had poor success with the recipe. At the top of my list is that you used volume measurements for the flour and water. I can think of about a half dozen ways to measure out flour volumetrically and if I were to weigh the flour after method, I would get six different weights. And those weights can be all over the place with wide variations between them. And something as simple as the water can lead to poor outcomes. For example, water is supposed to be measured volumetrically in a cup with the cup being on a flat surface and the markings being viewed at eye level (and technically using the lower meniscus). If the dough in your case was wet coming out of the mixer, that would have been a good sign that you mismeasured the ingredients, most likely because you used volume measurements for the flour and water. I suppose it is also possible that you did not knead the dough long enough to more fully hydrate the flour.

BTW, you will notice that there are no volume conversions in the above dough formulation for the flour and water. It is because there are no reliable volume measurements for those ingredients, for the reasons as noted above.

Another possible reason for your results could have been that your finished dough temperature was on the high side--in excess of 75-80 degrees F (this is for a home setting using a standard home refrigerator, not a commercial one using a more efficient commercial cooler). It the finished dough temperature was too high, the dough may have fermented too fast. So, by the time that you decided to use the dough, it could have been overly fermented. When that happens, the dough is overly extensible (stretchy) and is hard to handle without the dough getting away from you. If you did not follow the instructions for managing the dough in accordance with the dough management measured described in the instructions for the recipe, and you let the dough ferment beyond the intended duration, that also could have resulted in an overly fermented dough because there are protease enzymes in the flour, along with acids produced during fermentation, that act to break down the gluten structure in the dough and cause the water to be released form its bond, resulting in a damaged dough that can be wet and sticky and overly extensible.

My best advice to you is to use a scale to measure out the flour and water. The other ingredients can be measured out volumetrically. And you should follow the dough preparation and dough management steps as closely as possible, including the duration of fermentation. If you use water at around 65-70 degrees F, I think you should be OK from a finished dough temperature standpoint. If you want to measure the finished dough temperature, a simple stick thermometer will do the trick. As I am composing this, I see that Jeff has posted and offered you his suggestions from the equipment side.

As you can see, there is a lot of science behind pizza making, so everything has to be done with a great deal of precision.

Peter

Offline sisterpat

« Reply #1154 on: June 05, 2015, 09:24:10 PM »
Pete & Jeff:
Thanks for your input, guys.  Actually, I have that very scale and a probe thermometer (though not the laser which looks very neat).  I never thought to weigh things out.  I made the dough Wednesday morning and refrigerated it until about 3 this afternoon.  Interestingly, Lehman's recipe doesn't list sugar in the ingredients, but does list it in the directions!  Which is correct?  I did add a bit into my dough.  Would that have an effect?
I kneaded with the dough hook for 8 minutes on speed 2.

Offline Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #1155 on: June 05, 2015, 09:29:59 PM »
Pete & Jeff:
Thanks for your input, guys.  Actually, I have that very scale and a probe thermometer (though not the laser which looks very neat).  I never thought to weigh things out.  I made the dough Wednesday morning and refrigerated it until about 3 this afternoon.  Interestingly, Lehman's recipe doesn't list sugar in the ingredients, but does list it in the directions!  Which is correct?  I did add a bit into my dough.  Would that have an effect?
I kneaded with the dough hook for 8 minutes on speed 2.
sisterpat,

The omission of the sugar was an error that was never corrected. You will see the same error in the original recipe as posted in the PMQ Recipe Bank at http://www.pmq.com/Recipe-Bank/New-York-Style-Pizza-Dough.

Usually Tom suggests that sugar be added to the dough if it is to cold ferment for longer than about three days. Even then, the amount of sugar is only 1-2%. That added sugar ensures that the yeast gets enough food over the entire dough fermentation period. It might also add a bit of residual simple sugars for crust coloration purposes. It is at too low a level to be detected by most people as sweetness on the palate.

Peter

Offline Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #1156 on: June 05, 2015, 10:59:23 PM »
sisterpat,

I neglected to mention in my last post that your dough was adequately kneaded. However, when I revisited the dough formulation I posted earlier, I noted that the IDY is at almost 0.50%. That is about double what I would use for a two-or three-day cold fermentation. I suspect that the 0.50% IDY is for a commercial application using a commercial cooler as opposed to a less efficient home refrigerator. It's possible that the 0.50% IDY might have caused the dough to ferment too fast and the sugar might have pushed the dough a bit too far also. But it is also possible that an overly high finished dough temperature and the use of volume measurements for the flour and water contributed to your poor results.

Next time, you might measure out the flour and water using your scale, and you might want to reduce the IDY to about 0.25% for a two-or three-day cold ferment. You can add 1-2% sugar if you want to go out beyond three days. You might try using water at around 65-70 degrees F to see if that gets you into the right finished dough temperature range. Based on your results, you can always make future changes to the water temperature.

Peter

Offline sisterpat

« Reply #1157 on: June 05, 2015, 11:02:09 PM »
 :) Thanks, Pete!  I'll give it a try.

pizzapan