Author Topic: Tom Lehmann's NY Style Pizza  (Read 457292 times)

Offline Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
Re: Tom Lehmann's NY Style Pizza
« Reply #1080 on: January 10, 2014, 07:49:20 AM »
Julian,

The amount of oil, and also the type, tend to be matters of personal taste and preference, although increases in the amount of oil should increase the extensibility (stretchiness) of the dough and maybe make the finished crust and crumb a bit more tender. However, for the NY style you perhaps don't want to go beyond about 3% oil. As for the type of oil, as best I can tell, most professionals who specialize in the New York style tend to use soybean oil, mainly because of the low cost although some may use a pomace olive oil as a low-cost olive oil option. It is also possible to use a blend of oils, such as olive oil and soybean or canola oil.

My advice is to play around with different possibilities until you find your personal sweet spot.

Peter 

Offline JulianN

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #1081 on: January 10, 2014, 12:29:56 PM »
Thanks Pete.

Julian

Offline JulianN

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #1082 on: January 10, 2014, 08:31:04 PM »
I made some dough about an hour ago using the food processor. I took the dough out of the bowl after it had gone around the bowl about two times. It was very soft and passed the "Lehmann pull test", it also was very easy to ball.

Thanks for the help, Pete,
Julian

Offline Henderson939

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #1083 on: January 25, 2014, 09:08:29 AM »
My NY pizza attempts keep getting better, but I have a question about the dough.  I am using the recipe in response 31 http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,576.msg5442.html#msg5442.  When I take the dough out the next day, it seems wetter than it should (still a novice, so I could be wrong).  I have to use a lot of semilna/HG mix flour to stretch it out.  Should I be lowering the hydration rate, currently 62%?

Offline jsaras

• Supporting Member
« Reply #1084 on: January 25, 2014, 10:49:42 AM »
63% shouldn't be that "wet", but that's not necessarily a bad thing.  Under normal circumstances you'll have to use bench flour when you take the dough out of the bowl; that's standard operating procedure.  You don't want a whole lot of excess flour on the dough when you put it into the oven. 

I've handled doughs with 85% hydration.  It takes a little more experience, but once you're past the "fear factor" of sticky, squirrely dough, you'll think that 63% is drier than a cat's behind
Things have never been more like today than they are right now.

pizzapan