Author Topic: Ignore Board option?  (Read 6533 times)

Offline bfguilford

• Lifetime Member
Re: Ignore Board option?
« Reply #60 on: November 20, 2012, 03:55:51 PM »
I've been watching this thread since Steve originally posted. Rather than giving a knee-jerk reaction, I've been holding back. Time to weigh in.

To answer the original question, I like the idea of Ignore Board option, particularly since I use the "Show new replies since last visit" function a lot. I would prefer not to have to wade through posts that are for a style or other broad topic area that don't interest me.

As far as other points that have been brought up:

- I get frustrated with the number of off-topic and glib posts that don't (IMO) add anything to the topic being discussed. Interestingly, I find that this thread is a microcosm of many, with some posts that are relevant and add value to what Steve originally requested or broaden it, and some that don't. I wish that people would ask themselves a simple question before posting... "Does what I'm about to post add to this conversation?" I know that I have fired off quick, glib posts in the past, and am consciously asking that question now.

- I am conflicted on the topic of "Good job" posts. Early on, I really appreciated those in response to photos - I needed positive feedback to reinforce that I was on the right track. Now, I think I am in favor of the "up-vote" button, and agree with what Marty said about preferring constructive feedback to a simple down-vote.

- I also like the "Ignore" button for individuals. I haven't been around this board for that long, but I do find myself ignoring threads when I pull up the "Show unread posts" based on who the last reply was from. I will likely catch that thread later on when someone whose posts I respect shows up as the last poster, or when I go back to the main board.

- I have found that I use the PM function when I'm looking for specific information, usually as the result of having read a post. That way I don't have to deal with the off-topic, glib replies.

- I have also started to use the unsubscribe function for threads that no longer interest me.

To sum it up, I joined this site to learn from people who have a lot more experience than me, and eventually to begin to give back to others based on my new-found experience. I also appreciate what I've learned about other food and beverage related topics.

Interestingly, I went back and re-read the whole thread, and my reply before hitting the post button. I removed some content that I didn't think added to the conversation. Learning...

Barry
« Last Edit: November 20, 2012, 03:57:46 PM by bfguilford »
Light travels faster than sound. That's why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.

Offline Tscarborough

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
    • Pizza Anarchy
« Reply #61 on: November 20, 2012, 04:01:42 PM »
Just a side note on PMs.  I normally don't like to answer questions from PMs, since others may want to know the same answer (or correct me!).

Offline Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #62 on: November 20, 2012, 04:59:55 PM »
Just a side note on PMs.  I normally don't like to answer questions from PMs, since others may want to know the same answer (or correct me!).

Tom,

I used to answer PMs but I got so many that I had to change my practice. For some time now, I have been sending members to the main forum for the reason you mentioned. Norma follows that practice also, after having got a lot of PMs herself. At one time, it was fairly common for members to join the forum and immediately send me a PM, to bypass the forum itself and try to go to the head of the line. Usually they were professionals. I believe the requirement of the introductory posts has curtailed that practice. Unless I can answer a PM quickly with a few words, where the answer wouldn't add anything of value on the open forum, my current practice is to answer PMs after I am done with the main forum. My view is that members shouldn't try to go to the head of the line and bypass everyone else by using the PM system.

Peter

Offline Tscarborough

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
    • Pizza Anarchy
« Reply #63 on: November 20, 2012, 08:15:41 PM »
There already exists a "like" statistic, it is displayed under the title, "views".  I think it is both valuable and constructive to offer an opinion on a posted <whatever>, even if it is simply descriptive nouns.

Offline Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #64 on: November 20, 2012, 08:21:27 PM »
There already exists a "like" statistic, it is displayed under the title, "views".  I think it is both valuable and constructive to offer an opinion on a posted <whatever>, even if it is simply descriptive nouns.
+1   I mean really.....do we need to create a situation, for our overworked moderators, where they get additional complaints like "so and so is posting too many written praises and not using the buttons enough instead"  >:(
"Care Free Highway...let me slip away on you"

Offline mkevenson

• Lifetime Member
  • Roos! Protector of Fowl
« Reply #65 on: November 20, 2012, 10:59:07 PM »
There already exists a "like" statistic, it is displayed under the title, "views".  I think it is both valuable and constructive to offer an opinion on a posted <whatever>, even if it is simply descriptive nouns.

Sorry, I don't see it? Is it hiding?

Mark
"Gettin' better all the time" Beatles

Offline Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #66 on: November 20, 2012, 11:06:00 PM »
Tom is probably referring to the amount(view count) a popular thread receives Mark.  ;)

Offline Jet_deck

• Supporting Member
« Reply #67 on: November 20, 2012, 11:09:55 PM »
.....do we need to create a situation, for our overworked moderators, where they get additional complaints...

No, Bob.  Nobody needs to create a situation for the mods to get additional complaints. What about that fact do you not understand?
Her mind is Tiffany-twisted, she got the Mercedes bends

Offline Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #68 on: November 20, 2012, 11:20:08 PM »
No, Bob.  Nobody needs to create a situation for the mods to get additional complaints. What about that fact do you not understand?
That is exactly what I was agreeing to Gene....

Offline PowerWagonPete

• The name says it all.
« Reply #69 on: November 23, 2012, 07:37:57 AM »
Hey, do some of you guys realize that the words "ignore", "ignorant", and "ignoramus" all stem from the same origin?

Whoops, I guess not.  Sorry!!!   ;)  :)  ;D

Offline gabaghool

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #70 on: October 29, 2013, 03:15:58 PM »
 I know im real late here, and my question will probably, most likely, not be answered, but are not glib and off topic comments simply a reflexion of common conversation??  I mean, when 4 or 5 people are talking, off topic comments, jokes are pretty common place...to me, it simply adds to the realism in social interaction....