Author Topic: Verbose Thread Titles  (Read 1827 times)

Online tinroofrusted

• Supporting Member
  • Experimenting....
Verbose Thread Titles
« on: October 11, 2013, 11:44:32 AM »
We seem to be experiencing a proliferation of unnecessarily long thread titles. Personally I find them annoying.  Of course people are free to make their thread titles as long as they want, but do we really need to read a title like this over and over:

Re: The Kettle Pizza Grill is The Answer To All Our Prayers (THIS IS NOT SPAM)

(Thanks for capitalizing the notation about the thread not being spam.)

Or:
   Re: Cliff notes for using the Blackstone oven?..... and achieving a decent......

I say: Tighten up those thread titles people! 

Online TXCraig1

Re: Verbose Thread Titles
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2013, 01:59:21 PM »
And spell and grammar check them.
Pizza is not bread.

Offline Bill/SFNM

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2013, 02:01:20 PM »
I would prefer a verbose subject over a short one that forces me to open the topic to see if it is of interest to me. Regardless of how many words it takes, my preference is a clear subject which accurately describes the contents.

Granted, some people create long subjects that are still vague about the contents.

I say: Clarify those thread titles, people.

Online Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2013, 02:13:11 PM »
Speaking strictly as a Moderator, I agree with tinroofrusted. But, as Bill/SFNM has noted, being too brief can also be bad. For example, if someone calls their thread My Pizza, that is not a good heading. As they say in the publishing world, a good "lede" (http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/lede) is important to get readers to bite and read the article. But, in addition to brevity, I think it is important that the topic heading be descriptive, since many members who choose not to read every new post will use the topic heading to decide whether they should read the post in question. Some members might choose to use "teaser" topic headings to entice other members into reading. That might or might not be a good lede, but one should keep in mind that that can offend other members. I try to make my topic headings factual, and they may end up being boring as a result, but I do not worry whether anyone will read the post or thread or not.

I also agree with Craig that it helps not to misspell words in the topic headings (or anywhere else for that matter). Readers react to that sort of thing, and it isn't always positive. People recognize good writing, and they will pay much closer attention to those who write well and what they have to say. That is why I enjoy reading what scott123 and Aimless Ryan have to say. They write well, far above average, which to me means that they are good thinkers also.

I used the forum's spell checker twice on this post, to be sure that I didn't misspell anything, including the word misspell (http://www.gingersoftware.com/english-online/spelling-book/misspelling/misspell-mispell-mispel):-D.

Peter

Offline MightyPizzaOven

• Supporting Member
    • Mighty Pizza Oven .com
« Reply #4 on: October 11, 2013, 02:46:59 PM »
Written communication has been a weakness of mine all my life, I am hopping to have another chance to learn with my kids as they go through school, my oldest is kindergarten this year  ;D starting from ground 0.
Bert,

Offline Aimless Ryan

• Snarky
« Reply #5 on: October 11, 2013, 04:15:32 PM »
People recognize good writing, and they will pay much closer attention to those who write well and what they have to say. That is why I enjoy reading what scott123 and Aimless Ryan have to say. They write well, far above average, which to me means that they are good thinkers also.

Thank you, Peter.

People have always told me I'm a good writer (even when I was flunking out of high school). I'm not gonna spew any false modesty by trying to act like I'm surprised to read that you or anyone else thinks I'm a good writer, but I am genuinely moved by what you said. Usually whenever I take the time to share written words with people, I spend a very long time making sure the words say exactly what I want to say. (Yes, I have an obsessive-compulsive personality.) And usually after I've had some time to distance myself from those words, once I reread what I've written, I end up feeling very dissatisfied with what I've said. That is, I might feel like the writing itself is very well done but that the communication is horrible. That's true of almost everything I write, including short Facebook updates. And it can be pretty stressful or confusing to always have to go through that, especially since I know most other people can just say exactly what they mean, hit the Enter key, and move on.

So to be singled out as one of two people whose writing you enjoy reading, and for the reasons you cited, that's very cool to me.

Offline bbqchuck

« Reply #6 on: October 13, 2013, 10:00:43 AM »
And spell and grammar check them.

Yeah, bad spelling, grammar,  and lack of punctuation knaws on me ... until I go back and read some posts I've made. :-D

Offline tombiasi

« Reply #7 on: October 13, 2013, 10:11:22 AM »
Yeah, bad spelling, grammar,  and lack of punctuation knaws on me ... until I go back and read some posts I've made. :-D

Do you mean "gnaws"? :)

Offline bbqchuck

« Reply #8 on: October 13, 2013, 10:21:40 AM »
Let's not forget composition.  Some posts, on forums (I'm generalizing), have no effort to structure sentences and paragraphs into a logical order that can be easy followed. 

Let's face it, not everyone got a Master's in English Lit, myself included.  Some fell asleep in English class (me, quite often :'()  But apparently some quit going to class when they got the training wheels off their bike.  That's probably wasn't called for.  :-[  But, to me, it shows a lack of consideration for others when a post is written poorly out of laziness.

Offline bbqchuck

« Reply #9 on: October 13, 2013, 10:22:56 AM »

Offline Bill/SFNM

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #10 on: October 13, 2013, 11:57:50 AM »
Let's not forget composition.  Some posts, on forums (I'm generalizing), have no effort to structure sentences and paragraphs into a logical order that can be easy followed. 

Let's face it, not everyone got a Master's in English Lit, myself included.  Some fell asleep in English class (me, quite often :'( )  But apparently some quit going to class when they got the training wheels off their bike.  That's probably wasn't called for.  :-[  But, to me, it shows a lack of consideration for others when a post is written poorly out of laziness.

I care not one iota about a member's writing skills. Pizza knowledge, passion, and a willingness to share are the attributes I value on this forum. The greatest impact on my pizza making has been from members for whom English is not their primary language. I'd rather a poorly-constructed, hastily-typed phrase from someone whose skills I admire than a carefully-crafted screed.

Online TXCraig1

« Reply #11 on: October 13, 2013, 03:24:25 PM »
I care not one iota about a member's writing skills. Pizza knowledge, passion, and a willingness to share are the attributes I value on this forum. The greatest impact on my pizza making has been from members for whom English is not their primary language. I'd rather a poorly-constructed, hastily-typed phrase from someone whose skills I admire than a carefully-crafted screed.

I donít care about a memberís writing skills either. Hastily typed phrases are a different matter. There is no shortage of posts here that are painful to read for no reason other than a lack of even the most basic attempt at legibility.  Spell checking requires next to no effort. Using basic punctuation, capitalization, and spaces between words requires only slightly more.

Good ideas are marginalized by bad writing.
Pizza is not bread.

Offline Bill/SFNM

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #12 on: October 13, 2013, 03:36:53 PM »
I donít care about a memberís writing skills either. Hastily typed phrases are a different matter. There is no shortage of posts here that are painful to read for no reason other than a lack of even the most basic attempt at legibility.  Spell checking requires next to no effort. Using basic punctuation, capitalization, and spaces between words requires only slightly more.

Good ideas are marginalized by bad writing.

good ideas + bad writing > bad ideas + good writing

(Hastily dashed-off on my iPhone.) 

Online TXCraig1

« Reply #13 on: October 13, 2013, 03:43:29 PM »

good ideas + bad writing > bad ideas + good writing

(Hastily dashed-off on my iPhone.)

True. Notwithstanding,

good ideas + good writing >> good ideas + bad writing

and

good ideas + bad writing < good ideas
Pizza is not bread.

Offline Jackie Tran

« Reply #14 on: October 13, 2013, 04:38:58 PM »
Good ideas + bad writing > good ideas that aren't shared/posted.

Mal

« Reply #15 on: October 13, 2013, 04:39:51 PM »
^^^
« Last Edit: October 13, 2013, 04:42:42 PM by Mal »

Online TXCraig1

« Reply #16 on: October 13, 2013, 05:07:03 PM »

I don't disagree with this either, but why this effort to make sloppiness seem OK? Where in life does sloppy writing help you succeed?

Clean posts ≠ much effort

I'm not saying anyone posting here owes anyone else anything. You can compose your posts however you like. I'm simply suggesting we take a few seconds to make them look as good as our ideas.
Pizza is not bread.

Offline Bill/SFNM

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #17 on: October 13, 2013, 05:09:09 PM »
An idea about making pizza expressed with imperfect grammar or spelling makes just as much of a contribution to the body of knowledge here as any other. I would hate for anyone, especially those for whom English is not their main language, to refrain from posting based on the comments in this thread. 

Online TXCraig1

« Reply #18 on: October 13, 2013, 05:30:39 PM »
An idea about making pizza expressed with imperfect grammar or spelling makes just as much of a contribution to the body of knowledge here as any other. I would hate for anyone, especially those for whom English is not their main language, to refrain from posting based on the comments in this thread.

Clearly that is not my intent. I'm not talking about someone who is MAKING A SERIOUS EFFORT - composing their thoughts while simultaneously translating them into English. I'm talking about people who speak perfect English and make LITTLE OR NO EFFORT to do even the most basic things to make their posts readable.
Pizza is not bread.

Offline Bill/SFNM

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #19 on: October 13, 2013, 06:25:28 PM »
Clearly that is not my intent. I'm not talking about someone who is MAKING A SERIOUS EFFORT - composing their thoughts while simultaneously translating them into English. I'm talking about people who speak perfect English and make LITTLE OR NO EFFORT to do even the most basic things to make their posts readable.

I agree!

pizzapan