Author Topic: Oven dimensions / ratios  (Read 2610 times)

Offline biggrigg

Re: Oven dimensions / ratios
« Reply #20 on: October 13, 2013, 12:15:31 AM »
I am here to understand.   For me that includes more than just opinions, and some resemblance of facts.   if opinions are all that is offered here, I will go elsewhere.  I only blame myself though, I asked the internet for free advice and I certainly got my moneys worth. 
« Last Edit: October 13, 2013, 02:00:22 AM by biggrigg »

Offline bbqchuck

« Reply #21 on: October 13, 2013, 10:51:39 AM »
Biggrigg
Just my experience,  but when I've seen inventive ideas posted on forums, that run counter to the known status quo, they often result in the path this thread is taking.   I've been on both sides of them.

There are many more unworkable ideas out there than those that work.  That should never be a reason to quit trying.

Offline Tscarborough

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
    • Pizza Anarchy
« Reply #22 on: October 13, 2013, 11:00:02 AM »
"I would like to hear about specifics of oven shapes and why (preferable with some sort of documentation)"

It sounds to me like you want someone to do your work for you.  My tagline on the construction DIY site is, "Advice is free, Lessons begin at 75 bucks an hour".

The reality, BBQchuck, is that building a woodfired pizza oven (because that is specifically what we are talking about, right?) is not that hard.  It's design has been refined over the course of thousands of years and the design is both simple, effective and forgiving in the design details.

If you want to reinvent the wheel, go for it, but do not ask for advice and then argue with the advice given.  It happens to me at work, usually with stucco, and I will tell you Biggriig like I tell them, "Good luck with your project and Good Day".

Online TXCraig1

« Reply #23 on: October 13, 2013, 02:25:06 PM »
I am here to understand.   For me that includes more than just opinions, and some resemblance of facts.   if opinions are all that is offered here, I will go elsewhere.  I only blame myself though, I asked the internet for free advice and I certainly got my moneys worth.

You were given a couple pieces of valuable information, and at least one was something that you likely would have got bad advice on from someone you paid for help.

Threads seem to often go this way when someone come and asks for thoughts yet they already have their mind made up.
Pizza is not bread.

Offline biggrigg

« Reply #24 on: October 13, 2013, 04:57:18 PM »
Lol, haters gonna hate.   I was just trying to get some thoughts on the dome shape.  Somehow turned into a pissing contest about thermal mass, which you are right; i had no interest in talking about that.  See you guys on flip side.  /END THREAD. 

Offline bbqchuck

« Reply #25 on: October 13, 2013, 07:44:35 PM »
The reality, BBQchuck, is that ...

Reality?  I thought this was the internet?  ;)

FWIW, I was trying to be polite.  I think forums, in general, facilitate impolite behavior from normally polite people, since the personal association is somewhat removed.  I have found that food forums, in general, have less abrasive threads than other forums for my various hobbies, such as guns, airplanes, hunting, trucks, etc.. 

Offline Tscarborough

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
    • Pizza Anarchy
« Reply #26 on: October 13, 2013, 08:23:40 PM »
Me too, BBQchuck, but that is mainly because I think people that come to highly specific forums (like this one), either understand what they want to do, even though they may not know how to do it, or they do not in general ask questions about their particular passion.  I know that I have never asked a question about masonry on the masonry forums, or even pizza on this forum, not because I am an expert at either, but rather because I know what I want to accomplish, and am willing to study the issue and figure it out.

Questioners fall into 2 categories:

Those who want the easy way out; ask a question and Boom!  they are exactly where they want to be.  This is not a bad thing, and often works, if they have enough knowledge to ask the right questions(s).  Asking,"how do I stucco my house" does not fall into this category, nor does requesting advice and then arguing against the requested advice.

The other is more common and usually very successful on forums, and that is asking a very specific question with a clearly defined, if unknown, answer.  I have done many of these on automobile forums while working through issues with our vehicles.  It works, and is seldom met with any rancor and usually an outpouring of wisdom and support.

Offline bbqchuck

« Reply #27 on: October 13, 2013, 08:40:21 PM »
From your mentioning of stucco twice, I'm guessing you know something about it.  :D  It reminds me of when I put a 6 ft french door, in where an 8 ft door was.  I didn't know squat about stucco.  I tried to have an acquaintance help me, but he was a no-show.  I let it go, plywood-ed over for months.  Finally, I studied it on the internet long enough and from enough different perspectives, to just do it.  It actually came out nicely and blended well with the Spanish "slap-n-smear" rest of the house.  The good part is that it hasn't cracked and separated from the original wall in the 5-6 yrs it's been done.  Beginner's luck.

Offline Tscarborough

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
    • Pizza Anarchy
« Reply #28 on: October 13, 2013, 08:44:40 PM »
Doubtful, You studied enough to figure it out, like anything it isn't rocket science (unless it IS rocket science),  and then just did it.  Did you go on any DIY forums and ask questions?

Offline shuboyje

« Reply #29 on: October 13, 2013, 10:39:31 PM »
Nobody posted in this thread has any sort of vested interest.  It's not haters hating, it's people trying to help you avoid mistakes.   I can only speak for myself but think it goes for everyone who posted on this thread.  I cannot recreate an encyclopedia of all my wood fired oven knowledge every time somebody asks a question.  You as the newcomer need to either trust the reputation that I have built here and respect my input, OR put in the time reading to form your own opinions based on past conversations.  If you think you are going to find the journal of wood fired ovens with peer reviewed scientific writing you are out of luck. 

Lol, haters gonna hate.   I was just trying to get some thoughts on the dome shape.  Somehow turned into a pissing contest about thermal mass, which you are right; i had no interest in talking about that.  See you guys on flip side.  /END THREAD.
-Jeff

pizzapan