Author Topic: Freezing dough for future use?  (Read 767 times)

Offline Qballgreg

• I Love Pizza!
Freezing dough for future use?
« on: October 11, 2013, 01:54:47 PM »
I'm wondering if anyone has pre-made several dough crusts for future use.  If so, what would you recommend as a process of doing....

Offline The Dough Doctor

• Tom Lehmann
Re: Freezing dough for future use?
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2013, 02:43:56 PM »
I'm assuming you mean to freeze the dough for future use? The best way to freeze the dough in a home application is to open the dough into pizza skins, and place onto a lightly oiled flat surface that can be placed into the freezer for freezing. I would allow the dough to freeze for at least an hour, then wrap it in stretch/cling wrap and place into a plastic bag and immediately back into the freezer. You can store dough frozen this way for up to 3-weeks. To use it, just place onto a lightly floured surface, cover to prevent drying, and allow to slack-out (thaw) until the dough is again soft, which normally takes about an hour total time. My own twist to this is to open the dough up to only about 2/3 of the desired finished diameter, then allow to slack-out as described above, but then proceed to bench stretch the dough to full diameter before dressing and baking. By doing it this way you don't need to wait as long for the dough to slack-out as the dough can be worked on the bench as soon as it is soft enough to be handled and by the time you are through opening the dough it has warmed sufficiently to allow you to proceed with building the pizza.
Tom Lehmann/The Dough Doctor