Author Topic: Hey ? Do calzones have a place here somewhere ??  (Read 4018 times)

Offline Iceman

• I Love Pizza!
Hey ? Do calzones have a place here somewhere ??
« on: December 18, 2005, 04:48:54 PM »
LOL. My point is all in the title.  I make a "drop the fork fantastic" calzone. But just like everything else, everybody's got their own winner. I just thought I'd ask. Also ......... with all the style and/or recipe clone-jobs I've read, I haven't seen anything to do with "Home Run Inn". OK, maybe I missed it, but still. They are probably my favorite for "big name" Chicago thin pizza. Anyway .................
It is better to eat pizza with friends than to eat sprouts alone.

Offline Buffalo

• I Love Pizza!
Re: Hey ? Do calzones have a place here somewhere ??
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2005, 05:04:30 PM »
Hello Iceman;
In my opinion calzones rate very HIGH on the lunch/dinner list.  I have made several using recipes I have gotten from various cooking websites, but they have all used a basic dough and filling recipe.  What is your secret (If you don't mind sharing)????? :P
Buffalo

Offline chiguy

« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2005, 09:00:45 PM »
 Hello Iceman,
 I would be very interested in you're calzone recipe. I am also a fan of Home Run Inn and am aware of this being a favorite of alot of Chicagoans. I have thought about trying to figure out thier pizza, but is is truly unique. The cheese, sauce and dough have a very distinct flavor that is like no other pizza in my opinion. I think it is very possible to figure out thier crust formula, but the cheese and sauce will be more difficult. If you have any knowledge about anypart of what they use it would be a great start. Have you ever tried Palermos on 63rd or 95th, on the South Side of Chicago. A great pizza with a sweeter sauce, truly unique.    Thanks,  Chiguy

Offline Iceman

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #3 on: December 19, 2005, 12:08:53 AM »
What is your secret (If you don't mind sharing)????? :P

Hey, it's all good. I guarantee that my recipe will be called sacrilegious at best, but it makes a pie that never leaves left-overs. I cook it in a springform pan, sprayed well w/ any butter spray. The crust/shell is made from two(2) Jiffy pizza crust mix boxes. One(1) for the bottom and one half(1/2) for the top; the other half(1/2) is needed because you will have too much filling. I freelance making the dough. I use an egg and some very soft butter, mixing everything in a large bowl (forget that table-top Mario style for me) adding very cold water as needed. Do this first so that it can rest while you are making the rest. Refrigerate it too. Roast up a nice big red bell pepper (any color will work but I like red the best) two(2) small is OK too; it's all to your own preference. Chop up some fresh parsley (as much as you like, for me, a big fistfull). Brown up a pound or so of your favorite skinless sausage; when cool, grind it up in a processor as fine as you like, return the meat to the pan and mix in one(1) small can of Pastorelli pizza sauce. Very gently process the peeled and seeded roasted red peppers a little bit. Put all of that on the side. Start the filling with two(2) lbs of ricotta cheese (you'll want the driest, most crumbly available, kinda like good feta). Add one(1) pkg of shredded Italian blended cheese (mozzarella, provalone, assagio, et al), [remember what I said before? sacreligous and all]. Throw in the parsley. Add a good fistfull of grated romano and/or parmesan. If I think about it, maybe I'll add an egg or two here too. Mix everything up really well. Put that all on the side. Get out the dough; cut it in half; roll it out thin to fit the pan you are using. It has to fit into the corners and come up high on the sides; you need a half inch(1/2") to fold over and crimp the top edge. Fill your shell one half(1/2) or so with the cheese (pack it in with no air space). Top this with the sausage/pizza sauce, then the peppers. Pack this all down with a fork, you don't want open space. Cut the rest of the dough in half again and roll out a top (save the rest because you'll have left over filling). Lay the top on; fold over the outer edge and crimp. You really need some air slots on top (this baby will puff up big if you don't)(it can get really ugly too). Cook in a pre-heated 300 or so degree oven for give-or-take an hour. The last fifteen(15) minutes you can brush with an egg wash if you like. This can be eaten hot, warm or cold; with a sauce on top or not. Anyway .......... there it is (if I haven't left anything out).
« Last Edit: December 19, 2005, 12:35:57 AM by Iceman »
It is better to eat pizza with friends than to eat sprouts alone.

Offline Buffalo

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #4 on: December 19, 2005, 03:44:16 AM »
Iceman;
Thanks much for the recipe.  Sounds very good.......... :P Hope to try it soon and will let you know the results I have.
Buffalo

Offline canadianbacon

• DoughBoy
« Reply #5 on: December 19, 2005, 03:58:00 PM »
Calzone talk is very welcome here  ;D ,  in my humble opinion many calzones are just pizzas doubled over on themselves.  Some can be deep fried for extra goodness, some aren't.

Yeah, calzones are a great treat, keep chatting  ;D
Pizzamaker, Rib Smoker, HomeBrewer, there's not enough time for a real job.

Offline kimberwyn

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #6 on: January 07, 2006, 11:02:15 PM »
I love me some pizza, never much of a calzone fan though.  Maybe its because I bought it from Sbarro, it had a nasty aftertaste.

Offline RockyMarciano

• Go Sabres! Go Bills!
« Reply #7 on: January 14, 2006, 01:57:29 PM »
Yeah their should be a calzone section, and while we are at it why not stromboli, subs, and wings  section as well?

Offline lilpizzaplace_ohio

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #8 on: March 01, 2006, 09:12:51 PM »
our calzones aren't really your typical calzones ... Well, maybe..seems like there's different kinda/designs... Here's a pic of one of ours right before parmesan cheese was sprinked onto it..
lilpizzaplace

Offline canadianbacon

• DoughBoy
« Reply #9 on: March 01, 2006, 09:36:12 PM »
How do you bake yours ?

do you do one side and then the other ? or is only one side really baked on the stone ?

what is the foil for  ? ... hmm maybe you bake them in the foil ?

our calzones aren't really your typical calzones ...
Pizzamaker, Rib Smoker, HomeBrewer, there's not enough time for a real job.

Offline lilpizzaplace_ohio

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #10 on: March 01, 2006, 09:42:25 PM »
after folding over the crust..we pinch it shut, then take a brush and baste it with some olive oil...then we lay it inside non- stick aluminum foil, and cook it for about 15-20 minutes...we leave it open, and yes we use a stone...and it cooks evening, and keeps about the same color all around! we use the foil mainly to keep the grease off the stone..
« Last Edit: March 01, 2006, 09:44:28 PM by lilpizzaplace_ohio »
lilpizzaplace

pizzapan