Author Topic: Pizzeria da Nella  (Read 5074 times)

Offline shuboyje

Pizzeria da Nella
« on: October 11, 2013, 11:21:27 PM »
Gonna keep this short and sweet since I'm still on the road and posting from my phone.  Best pizza I've ever eaten. Couldn't fault a thing if I tried.  I've never left a pizzeria so satisfied.
-Jeff

Offline Jackie Tran

Re: Pizzeria da Nella
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2013, 02:59:02 AM »
Jeff what did you like about it or why did you like it so much?  What makes it better than other NP places  you've been to?

Offline fornographer

• Supporting Member
« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2013, 08:46:18 AM »
I am equally curious.

Online Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2013, 09:32:28 AM »
Jeff,

Is that Nella Grassano that used to work for Jonathan Goldsmith at Spacca Napoli?

Peter

Online TXCraig1

« Reply #4 on: October 12, 2013, 11:13:04 AM »
Jeff,

Is that Nella Grassano that used to work for Jonathan Goldsmith at Spacca Napoli?

Peter

You don't remember this? http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,14698.msg146157.html#msg146157

I know I won't ever forget it.  ;)

Pizza is not bread.

Online Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #5 on: October 12, 2013, 11:47:36 AM »
Craig,

Yes, I do remember that but I thought that I heard or read somewhere that she had left the new place after a falling out with partners or investors or something like that.

Peter

Online TXCraig1

« Reply #6 on: October 12, 2013, 12:06:14 PM »
I think that has happened twice, but I don't think it is the case here. You may be thinking about Nella Pizzeria Napoletana.
Pizza is not bread.

Offline jeff v

• I'm Valentino not Varasano :)
    • Pizzeria Valentino
« Reply #7 on: October 12, 2013, 08:31:14 PM »
Jeff,

Peter

Not the Jeff  you were asking but yes. They have this location and I believe are opening another in the suburbs in November. Watching Nella make pizza was a joy for me.
Back to being a civilian pizza maker only.

Offline shuboyje

« Reply #8 on: October 13, 2013, 09:26:21 PM »
Now that I'm home an on a keyboard I'll give the full story to do this experience justice. 

We got to the pizzeria around 2, and were literally the only people in the place the entire time we were there.  As I entered I was instantly greeted by the beautiful oven, but it was running on coals, no flame, and I was a little worried.  I then noticed lots of young male staff, but no Nella and my expectations continued to fall.  Figured this would be another disappointing stop on my pizza journey.  We sat down and after looking over the menu for a while decided on 2 margheritas and one of these white pies, nothing fancy.  Nearly the instant we placed our order Nella popped out from the back.  She went straight to the oven and added some fresh wood.  It instantly ignited.  The oven was HOT.  Things were looking up, but that wasn't good enough for her.  She spent the next 5 minutes coaxing the fire to get exactly what she wanted.  She then went over and began opening the dough and dressing the pies.  She effortlessly prepped an baked the three pies without an ounce of help from anyone else, just as I've seen her do in videos.  I was amazed by the balance of the oven.  The pies never left the floor, she even turned then with a very shallow motion that kept them low to the deck, only quickly lifting them to check the bottoms.  About 80 seconds later they came out just as you see in the pictures.  She is a true master, it was awesome to watch, and her and that oven seem to be in tune.

So why was the pizza so good?  It just was.  Neapolitan pizza is so simple it amazes me the way "professionals" tend to mess it up.  Each ingredient on its own was superb.  The crust was so unique I don't know where to begin.  I would almost think there was sugar in the dough from the way it browned, but the cook on the base shows no sign of sugar and I am sure there isn't any, but the browning is something I haven't seen in other Neapolitan pizzas.  The flavor and texture of the crust were both great.  The tomato was great, the cheese was great, the oil was great, but the key there is the way they were prepared and applied.  The cheese was diced into something close to 3/8" pieces if I had to guess, and applied pretty generously.  It was perfectly sized for the heat in the oven, and melted wonderfully while slowly blending into the tomato along with the oil around the edges.  Everything came together in the perfect balance. 

I left knowing I had eaten my first pizza produced by a true master, and after getting a chance to talk with her a little I will say she is very humble about her talent. 
-Jeff

Offline Jackie Tran

« Reply #9 on: October 13, 2013, 10:27:55 PM »
Very nicely written Jeff.  I gotta check it out sometime. 8)

Offline vesuvio

« Reply #10 on: October 17, 2013, 03:25:09 PM »
Will be opening up our second location in carol stream before thanksgiving here are some new pizza chef nella has created besides the buffalina. ONE IS ANNARELLA WITH SAUSAGE BELL PEPPERS SMOKED MOZZARELLA ,ISCHIA IS MOZZARELLA BURRATA GRILLED ZUCHINI ,BIANCO NERO WHITE TRUFFLE OIL MOZZARELLA PORCINI MUSHROOMS BLACK TRUFFLE.

Offline vesuvio

« Reply #11 on: January 15, 2014, 07:41:45 PM »
Finally pizzeria DA nella will be open in carol stream jan 24 address is 598 e north ave 1630-580-9143

pizzapan