Author Topic: Alright, a few newbie questions  (Read 931 times)

Offline WarEagle09

• I Love Pizza!
Alright, a few newbie questions
« on: October 05, 2013, 03:50:36 PM »
Okay, a few basic questions:

1) If you want to make enough dough to store in the freezer, at what point should you put it in the freezer - cut if after kneading, but before the rise? What is the best way to store it - Tupperware, or something else?

2) If my dough wraps itself around the dough hook during kneading, does that mean it needs more flour?

3) If you don't have a stone (I'll get one eventually), should you cook your pie for a few minutes before you put your toppings on?

4) Any recommendations on where to get a good, relatively inexpensive pizza peel? I think I'm going to get the 16' stone from axner, but not sure on the peel.

I'm sure I'll have plenty more questions!

Offline Surffisher2A

• I Love Pizza!
Re: Alright, a few newbie questions
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2013, 06:08:06 PM »
#1 -- all depends on what style of dough you want to make and what method you used to form the dough and the results you want to achieve. There really is no one size fits all.
#2 -- Possibly, it could be a number of things depending on your mixer setup and recipe.
#3 --  Again, it all depends on what you are trying to achieve and what type of oven you have.
#4 -- Amazon has  some good deals on equipment. Before you spend your money on a stone, check out some other options such as a kiln shelf, bakers steel and etc. If you search these forums you can find out a lot about the differences between them.  If you do go for a stone I found the fibrament stone works really well in a home oven, not cheap, but shouldn't crack like the cheap stones either.

Offline Surffisher2A

• I Love Pizza!
Re: Alright, a few newbie questions
« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2013, 06:08:51 PM »
Post what oven you have, your recipe and the type of pizza you are trying to emulate. I am sure others more experienced than I will help you out.

pizzapan