Author Topic: Can't get a round pie if my dough isn't a perfect ball  (Read 1070 times)

Offline Charg

• I Love Pizza!
Can't get a round pie if my dough isn't a perfect ball
« on: October 12, 2013, 05:07:35 PM »
I use the 2 day ferment PJ dough recipe that Pete came up with. The last part of the process is to coat the ball of dough with flour, then to let it sit for 90 minutes. After waiting, if the dough isn't in a row ball, it will stretch in whatever shape it's in.. I mean, I'm not surprised as this makes perfect sense. So yesterday was the last time I made them, the first one was perfect, but because the other container I used (I fermented them separately) was a rectangular tupperware, it was kind of an oral with a slightly longer tail on one end. I hope you can visualize what I'm trying to say here.

Anyways, it was a mess to stretch, and because it was severely uneven, I folded the ends to meet in the middle so I could try to reform a circle-ish shape. When I do this it becomes veeeerryyy tough to handle, and takes like 10 minutes to get a relatively acceptable shape. If the ball was already a ball, it takes like 10 seconds to stretch it to the shape and size that I want, so there's a massive difference in the way it handles.

My point of this thread is I'm making another 2 pies, but I decided to bulk ferment. I'll be making them on monday, and I'm curious as to what's the best result I can achieve. When I remove the dough from my fridge and put it on the counter, do I want to cut it first, ball it, then coat it? Coat, let sit, cut 90 minutes later, then ball?

Any advice is appreciated

Chris

Online Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
Re: Can't get a round pie if my dough isn't a perfect ball
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2013, 07:27:56 PM »
Chris,

Is there a reason why you want to do a bulk rise?

Peter

Offline Charg

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2013, 07:33:26 PM »
My answer would simply have to be I'm not educated enough in this area to know which one is better, and for what reasons. Since you ask, I assume it's best to prepare them separately?
edit: I would have prepared them separately like previously, but this thread www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,27622.msg281288.html made me think it was better to bulk.
« Last Edit: October 12, 2013, 07:36:41 PM by Charg »

Online Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2013, 07:58:18 PM »
Chris,

We have some members who cold ferment in bulk and then divide but that is not my practice. The problem with dividing the dough later is that it is harder to shape the dough balls into nice round shapes when the dough is cold. Even when the bulk dough is warm, you have to cut the bulk dough so that the pieces end up round. If that doesn't happen, you might end up handling and shaping the dough balls in ways that might toughen up the gluten and make the dough balls too elastic. If that happens, it can take hours for the gluten to relax again and be amenable to further handling.

Professionals do the division up front, right after the dough comes out of the mixer and is soft and warm and easy to form into round shapes. There are a few professionals who cold ferment in bulk because of storage limitations but often those professionals end up dividing the bulk dough into pieces that are then put through dough rollers or sheeters or into dough presses. The shape isn't as critical in those cases.

Essen1 (Mike) is one member who cold ferments in bulk and then divides, apparently with good results, so you might search his posts to get more detail on his methods. Or you just might try it. That is how you learn what works best for you.

Peter

Offline Charg

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #4 on: October 12, 2013, 08:13:32 PM »
I'm not interested in experimenting with it right now. I just now took them out, cut it evenly, balled it up, put them in their own container and put it back. They were only in there for a few hours, so I would imagine it not cause a significant difference for the end product.

Thanks a lot for your reply, Pete.

Offline ringkingpin

« Reply #5 on: October 25, 2013, 11:13:49 PM »
CHarg,

When I take a ball from my tray and it seems oblong, I always get the best results on the first move or two when opening it.  If it's shaped like and egg, I would open from the middle and push up and out away from the "tip fo the egg."  I hope that makes sense.
I am realizing more and more how important it is to have the ball nearly room temp for a varienty of reasons, including ease of opening the dough.
"Tell me what you eat, and I will tell you who you are."
 Brillat-Savarin