Author Topic: chilean flour  (Read 489 times)

Offline fernandolira

• I Love Pizza!
chilean flour
« on: October 13, 2013, 09:16:23 AM »
hello there!

im looking for a good local option for Neapolitan dough, since i cant import Caputo to chile...

i found these 2.. i know you have to try it to really know, but as far as numbers go.. what do you think?

http://www.laestampa.com/productos/harina_segun_requerimiento.html

HARINA FUERTE

Glúten Húmedo (%)   26 - 29 (wet gluten)
Proteína (%)   9.5 - 10.5
Alveograma    210 - 260 (W)
P/L   1 – 1.8
Estabilidad (min.)    10
Absorción (%)   56 - 60

HARINA EXTRA FUERTE

Glúten Húmedo (%)   30 - 35 (wet gluten)
Proteína (%)   11.5 - 13.5
Alveograma    300 - 360 (W)
P/L   1.4 – 1.9
Estabilidad (min.)    16
Absorción (%)   60 - 64

---

thanks!
« Last Edit: October 13, 2013, 09:18:09 AM by fernandolira »

Offline fernandolira

• I Love Pizza!
Re: chilean flour
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2013, 09:51:40 AM »
i also found these.. http://www.molinobalmaceda.cl/harina_SPB.html

just a simple opinion pleaseeee

there isn't anyone here that i can ask..   :-\

Online scott123

« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2013, 07:59:03 PM »
Fernando, when you start comparing specs of flours, there are certain aspects that are pretty cut and dry and some that can get pretty theoretical and complicated. 

Someone else looking at these might be drawn to other figures, but, for me, the values that really stick out are the protein ranges for the super special and the extra strong. For the extra strong, it's 12.5% +/- 1% and the super special is 12.1% +/- .9%.  This is far too much variation, imo, and is indicative of inconsistent milling.  If you look at the Caputo specs

http://caputoflour.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/07/00-Pizzeria-SPECS.pdf

You'll see the protein varies by +/- .5%.  If, say, you received a bag of caputo that clocked in at 13.2% and the next bag was 12.2%, it might mess around with your results a little bit, but if you received a 13.7% bag and then an 11.7% bag (+/- 1%) that would be catastrophic.  I'm also reasonably certain that the +/- .5% spec from Caputo is a very conservative number, created to give them lots of wiggle room, and that if you actually tested different runs of flour, the specs would most likely be far tighter than +/- .5%.

For all we know, these companies might use the full range of values they list.  If that's true, then your results are going to be all over the map.

It's sounds like your flour options are somewhat limited, but, if there's any chance you can find a miller with more exacting standards, I would keep looking.

If this ends up being all you have to work with, then I'd probably suggest going with the super special or a strong/extra strong blend.  I'm not in love with the P/L values, but I think you can get a little more extensibility via the process and the formula.

I'm not sure what your projected sales are or how long flour keeps for where you are, but you might be able to work around extreme protein variations by buying a large number of bags at a time, using bag codes to somehow determine milling runs, doing small test batches to ascertain absorption and then sticking close to that formula until you get the next shipment, at which time you start testing for absorption again.

I would also highly recommend that, regardless of how close the values might appear, that whatever flour you end up choosing, you test it side by side with Caputo. Specs will only get you so far and may not tell the entire story. You might not be able to import Caputo on a daily basis, but you'll need a little for testing.

Lastly, have you looked into purchasing Caputo from a Brazilian distributor?  I know, for certain, that they have good access to Caputo (and other Italian flours) in Brazil.

Offline fernandolira

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2013, 04:41:36 PM »
thanks so much for you answer Scott..

i wil look for that brazilian distributor.. i didn't know there was one..

and i will phone soon to caputo to see if they can export their flour here...

;D all this info has been very helpful :D

thanks again !

take care!

pizzapan