Author Topic: First Chicago pie. Thanks, Buzz!  (Read 1345 times)

Offline nostalgia

First Chicago pie. Thanks, Buzz!
« on: March 04, 2006, 06:38:17 PM »
I figured it was time for me to try a Chicago pie.  I used KA bread flour, and Buzz's recipe, adding 1/2 cup of flour, since I'm using my 12" cast-iron pan.  Next time I'll add a full cup, I think.  That'd be 2 1/2 cups total.

I gave it a 5-hour cool rise on my counter (60-65 degrees), rolled it, folded it, rolled it, folded it, rolled it, then laid it in the pan.  I tossed it into an oven that was heated to 500, then turned the heat down to 450.  I par-baked the crust for 5 minutes.

Pulled it out, and the crust had poofed very nicely.  I added the sausage crumbles, turkey pepperoni, fresh basil leaves.  Then the mix of gruyere and provelone cheeses went on.  Finally some Francesco Rinaldi garden style tomato sauce.  I know, not crushed tomatoes, but it's what i had ;)

Back into the oven for 25 minutes, and I was rewarded with the gorgeous pie you see below.  The crust was absolutely amazing!!!  Delicous, flaky, biscuit-like, it was outstanding.  I was able to hold the slice by the edge of the crust without it falling.  The pictures just do not do it justice.

Thanks to Buzz for providing the recipe, and everyone else for the inspiration!!  I can't wait to do it again.

-Joe

« Last Edit: March 04, 2006, 09:39:59 PM by nostalgia »

Offline nostalgia

Re: First Chicago pie. Thanks, Buzz!
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2006, 09:52:16 PM »
Here's the recipe I used (flour measured by volume, fluffing, spooning into the measure, and leveling):

2 cups KA bread flour
1 round tsp IDY
1/2 cup water
1 tsp sugar
1 tsp Kosher salt
7 TBS (not tsp.) oil (6 canola, 1 extra light olive oil)

When the dough came out of the bowl (mixing by hand) it was very scrappy and not cohesive.  After about a minute of kneading, it was a nice ball.  It was a lot like working with pie dough.

-Joe

Offline buzz

Re: First Chicago pie. Thanks, Buzz!
« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2006, 01:25:42 PM »
Glad you liked it!

pizzapan