Author Topic: My Uuni Experience  (Read 2213 times)

Offline Giancarlo

• I Love Pizza!
My Uuni Experience
« on: October 16, 2013, 12:21:45 AM »
I received my Uuni portable oven earlier today and used it to bake six pies.  Here are my observations:  Overall the unit is well made and it was easy to assemble.  However, the legs are easy to bend, and I don't understand why they didn't make it with four legs instead of three.  Also, the wooden handle that attaches to the oven door kept coming loose and I had to re-tighten it several times. 

Since you're supposed to bake with the oven door closed, this means that you have to keep removing and re-installing the door every minute or so.  This isn't a big deal per se,  but I found it a bit troublesome to get the door back on each time.   

It gets up to temp quickly, but it doesn't stay that way very long before you have to feed it more pellets.  While it's possible to make some decent pizza at temps of around 700 degrees or so (as measured with a Fluke IR thermometer), it takes a lot of effort to keep the thing hot.  Since it's made of thin metal, it has no thermal mass whatsoever.  As a result, the temperature drops off very quickly when it starts to get low on pellets.  My baking time at "full blast" was around three minutes.  In each instance, I would have liked a bit more char on the bottom. 

So, what do we have here?  Well, it's a portable wood-fired pizza oven.  And by portable, I mean that you can pick it up and take it with you easily enough.  And yes, it does get hot enough to bake a "wood-fired" type pizza.  On the other hand, I personally think it's more trouble than it's worth.  Why?  Because I had to constantly watch it and feed it to try and maintain any kind of temperature stability.  I found this quite annoying, and I really don't feel like playing around with tiles, pizza stones, or metal plates to try and re-engineer the product to compensate for its lack of thermal mass.  Simply put, I regret buying it and I don't see myself using it again.   

Offline Jackie Tran

Re: My Uuni Experience
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2013, 07:44:29 AM »
Thank you for the review.   You can probably tweak it to increase its performance but I hear ya, somethings aren't worth the time and effort.  You might be able to return the product or list it for sale here onnthe forum. 

Nice job on an honest and realistic review.

Chau

Offline JD

• Supporting Member
« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2013, 07:46:11 AM »
I'm curious, in your research what made you choose the Unni oven over others?
Josh

Offline norcoscia

• I really Love Pizza!
« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2013, 08:48:37 AM »
Hi Giancarlo, I just got my UUNI last week, I agree with you, in a home setting I think it is too much trouble. I'm going to keep trying to make it work (because if I don't I'm going to be in big trouble with my better half). If you want some additional info you can check out this post.

http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,27932.msg282478.html

If you want something to take with you in an RV or to a tailgate party the UUNI might be worth it but I think you still need to add some mass or insulation to make it work properly.  I also agree on the three legs - I can't imagine the meeting where everyone was sitting around and decide a 700 degree oven would be better on three legs vice four, crazy.

Another thing I'm not happy about is the black soot that seems to get on everything (not the pizza but on the oven and your hands when you touch anything) - BTW, the screw on the handle will come loose a few times but if you just keep tightening it it will eventually be OK.

Scott123 tried to warn me but I did not listen, seems like the best bet right now is the BS, I hope they work through some of the issues I have read about, maybe when they come out with BS version two I'll sell something to make some room for it - until then I'm going to keep trying with the UUNI....

Offline Gags

« Reply #4 on: October 17, 2013, 12:14:47 AM »
I'm going to keep trying to make it work (because if I don't I'm going to be in big trouble with my better half).

Another thing I'm not happy about is the black soot that seems to get on everything (not the pizza but on the oven and your hands when you touch anything) - BTW, the screw on the handle will come loose a few times but if you just keep tightening it it will eventually be OK.

You guys nailed it:
Same as Norco, my girlfriend got it for me as a gift, so I want to make this thing fire well.  And it is a definitely more compact than a BS.
The soot is crazy...can't seem to get that off my hands either.
And yes, the handles come loose all the time...that's what happens when you go parallel to the grain of the wood, particularly with short screws!

But the thing I do like is that it makes you work a bit for a good pie.  I hope I don't offend BS uses here, but the BS seems too Easy Bake Oven for me.  I like the sound of the peel scratching on the deck.  I like looking way too often through the door.  I like doming the pie a bit, even though I'm burning it.  I wouldn't want to put a pie on a turntable and let it play...

"I'd trade it all for just a little bit more"

Offline Jackie Tran

« Reply #5 on: October 17, 2013, 07:26:50 AM »
Trust me Gags, you're not offending anyone.  Every oven has it's quirks and I appreciate challenges, but there also comes a point when it doesn't make sense to keep doing things the hard way when there's an easier solution.   Having said that...any oven is better than no oven at all.   I'm glad that you like your uuni oven.  Keep posting pics so we can see your progress.

Offline Goddahavit

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #6 on: October 17, 2013, 09:03:34 AM »
I can agree on most of the points. :(

I umped in too soon, as i like to smoke, and cook with wood, I do not have the money to build a brick oven. I didnt research enough although the bs does look good, i do want a set it and forget it oven, but i like to cook with wood.

I am looking for something to help the bottom crust, and yes it eats pellets, in fact i was shocked how fast it did.

That said my family loved the flavor, and seems i was the only one bothered by the crust. I hate to spend for the backing steel, but i am leaning towards something like this, seems to me it has plenty of top heat, if i can equalize that it will be fine.

I like the size, i dont have room for another big cooker on my deck. and i may be taking it with me to bbq comps, i can see myself making a pizza late at night, as im cooking up the brisket and pork, yummy.

I tweaked the front door latch slot, so it now actually closes, the unit is kinda sketchy, thin, and not ready for prime time, but this seems to be due to being made where it is and the premium they have on portability.

I need to find a jam funnel for feeding it that part is a mess, but i do not mind working a bit, and i love the speed i can have a pie in and out of the oven, it would take over an hour to get my bubba keg up to temp to cook some pies, but that will cook them for hours without fussing.

that said, i kinda regret it, i should have waited and researched, but that said im going to keep trying, might as well enjoy my mistakes!

Short of the baking steel what kind of steel do i ask for if i can find a supplier local?

Eric

Offline norcoscia

• I really Love Pizza!
« Reply #7 on: October 17, 2013, 09:23:01 AM »
Hi Goddahavit - the Jam funnel I'm using works great, I found it on amazon - link below.

The steel plate I'm using came from Sur La Table - I had a 10 dollar coupon and I get a discount so I just picked it up there. Really too expensive for a piece of steel but I did not want to mess with trying to find someone to cut and sell me a plate.

If you have someone in your area that can do that for you I would go with 14X15 vice the 14X14 inch plate that Sur La Table sells - also you might want to consider 3/8 vice 1/4 inch but I think 1/4 will work fine as long as you preheat it enough.

Don't give up!!!!

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00008WUAO/?tag=pizzamaking-20