Author Topic: Emergency randomness and the Blackstone oven  (Read 608 times)

Offline pdog

Emergency randomness and the Blackstone oven
« on: October 16, 2013, 03:33:06 PM »
Well...... i got bored, and decided to play around again with my BS oven today.

Issue - No dough.

So I decided I would just mix up some dough and just wing it based off some simple thoughts. 

1) Needed to be high hydration to counter act the short rest/development window
2) High yeast to get as much flavor as possible in a short time period. 

Here's what I came up with: I should stress that this dough is not for a beginner that is not used for high hydration dough handling.  This will be very challenging if you are not used to very wet dough!! VERY Wet. 

Flour - Better for Bread   500g   100%
Water                           365g   73.0%
Salt    (ady)                         14g   2.80%
Yeast                             11g   2.20%

I broke out into 2 balls, but I think 3 may have worked better.  I could have easy stretched these to 18 inches, but only went to 15. 

So I started making the dough at 1:35 PM, and finished backing the pies at 3:30 PM.  For under 2 hrs of prep, and cooking I would say this came out very well. 

Here was my process.

Mix flour and salt in a bowl.  Make sure the evenly distribute the salt throughout the flour. 
Place the ADY into a mixing bowl, and add the water to the yeast.  The water temp should be 100 degrees. 
Fully mix the yeast into the water, and wait 10 minutes.
Once the water is muddy in color and has some bubbles present mix into the flour.
Mix the water into the flour with a spoon.  The dough should be wet enough that you can easy incorporate all of the flour into the mix and it still be wet.

Dump the mess onto the counter or cutting board.  The dough will be very wet and your fingers will stick to the dough upon touching. 
Complete 15 stretch and folds as you would if you were making a high hydration ciabatta bread.  I mix the dough directly onto my counter tops and do so without bench flour.  (this will be very frustrating if you do not handle this high of a hydration dough regularly.)  Complete the 15 stretch and folds.  I use the slap and pull method of stretch and folds.  After 15 folds the dough will begin to hold its shape, and begin to look like a cottage cheese style ball.  Cover the dough and let rest 15 minutes. 

The dough at this stage will look smooth.  Complete 5 more stretch and folds.  This time your hands should not stick to the dough, and when you pull the dough you should get a smooth long pull.  If the dough still sticks to your hands complete the 5 and let rest another 10 minutes. (Or handle the dough more gently ::) )After these 5 folds split the dough into 2-3 balls, depending on size desired, and tightly pull the skin of the dough balls.  This is a key skill for high hydration doughs.  Also very tough to describe in writing but I will try.  Look down at the dough ball.  The smooth skin of the top should be facing up.  Pull the side of the dough down, and tuck under the bottom.  The goal is to continue to pull the smooth top of the dough ball tighter and tighter as you tuck it into the bottom of the dough ball.   The tighter/higher tension you can create with the dough ball the less it will "blob out" during the rise. 

Let the dough balls rise until they more then double, and almost triple in size.  I allow mine to rise right on the counter, I lightly dust the top with flour and  cover with plastic wrap.  I do not place any bench flour between the counter and the dough.  I use a dough scrapper to free the dough from the bench. 

When they complete the rise remove the wrap, and scrap free from the counter top.  (gently!!! do not deflate the dough as you scrap).

Flip the dough over so the floured side, used to prevent the wrap from sticking, onto the counter top.  Use a small amount of bench flour and flip the dough back over.  I stress small amount because the excess will become bitter as it bakes.  Less is more during this phase.  Keeping the dough from sticking is tricky!  This is where dough management is SOOOO critical.  You can not force the dough to open.  Any small tear created in the skin will stick instantly to the board or the peel. 

The dough is very slack.  I formed a rim and stretched the dough to 15 inches.  The time to stretch, sauce, cheese, and launch the pizza only took 40ish seconds.  Speed is your friend with wet doughs.  With a hydration this high the dough will absorb any bench flour rapidly.  Shake the dough constantly on the peel or it will stick!

I pre-heated the BS for roughly 15 minutes.  The stone showed 715 with an IR gun.  I turned the flames down to Low ( Tank fully open, 1.5 turns off the red valve (psi valve), and the oven regulator on low).  Launched the Pie, and waited till the bottom starred to show some char.  I then turn the oven regulator to full boar.  The pizza cooked in 3.43 seconds.

Nice NY pie considering I went from no dough to fully cooked and eating in 2 hrs.  The browning of the dough was great considering no sugar or oil were added.  The dough was light and airy.  The bottom has a nice crisp to it, as did the top.  Overall I say these pizza's would have been better then 90% of the pizza places in MD. 

I have spent years working on my dough....... I am quickly getting away from worrying about being exact on my dough.   The biggest improvement to my dough has come from high heat.  Heat seems to be 90% of making a good pizza. 

Thanks P
« Last Edit: October 16, 2013, 10:38:25 PM by pdog »

Offline vincentoc13

Re: Emergency randomness and the BS
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2013, 07:53:13 PM »
excellent post Pdog, great detail.  I'm looking into getting me a pizza stone so when I dont wanna fire up the WFO, I can just make a few at a time. 

Thanks, Vince.

Offline bbqchuck

• Supporting Member
Re: Emergency randomness and the BS
« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2013, 08:41:25 PM »
Thanks for sharing the process.  I've been doing something similar to make NY, but at a much lower hydration.  I'm also considering doing an emergency cracker.  The Blackstone oven is a beast and I don't know how I could get along without one.  With all it's quality issues, it's still a great product. 

pizzapan