Author Topic: Update on my "pizzeria"  (Read 3755 times)

Offline Auralnauts

• What's a pizza anyway?
Update on my "pizzeria"
« on: October 16, 2013, 11:24:24 PM »
Howdy everyone. I come by from time to time to browse the forums and see what's new. I was having lots of issues with pizza sauce and making it from scratch and such but I saw 2 recipes I was quite interested in. Both require cooking the sauce which I'm not used to but I'll try them out when I'm in Colombia again in a month.

So for those of you who don't know me, I'm a young guy who loves flavors. I've worked in a pizzeria for a couple of years and I see nothing new here. I mean, the same pizzas for 10 years, no ingredient changes, but only price changes? I think it's time for old timers to learn new ingredients and new tastes, and if they're not prepared to do this then they're going to notice the industry is going to be ruled by younger pizzeria owners.

So voila! An idea to create a pizzeria in my home country popped in my head. Now, when I left Colombia, pizzerias barely existed, and they only used tortilla wraps as their "dough" so I was quite excited to be the first man to make pizza in Colombia. Sadly, on my trip to Colombia 3 months ago I noticed plenty of pizzerias.... but all of them were bad. 

Sauce was too wet, cheese wasn't melting, and only 2 choices of pizza which were Hawaiian and plain. With this, I was exited to once more start my business. So now I'm going to share with you the set up I have decided to go with.

I saw a thread here a few weeks back about a KettlePizza and how it was a great alternative to wood powered ovens. I didn't want to start off buying a stone oven when the pizzeria might not even kick off, and I don't really think gas powered ovens give pizza much flavor. I also needed something that was portable. I want to be able to bring my pizza to the busy nightlife and sell warm slices and even freshly made pizza to costumers who were hungry. Now I had my oven... somewhat.

Then I had to choose the actual oven, for in Colombia they don't sell Weber grills. After looking online and in stores, I simply decided to buy a Weber grill and send it to Colombia. I decided with

(http://www.homedepot.com/catalog/productImages/1000/8b/8bfa506b-750e-4487-9688-a030820c0a3a_1000.jpg)

It has a counter, quick start up, and is portable. That's all I need.

Finally, I was trying to find a way to roll the dough and knead it by hand. This is really rigorous task and I honestly cannot expect the dough to be consistent if I went this route. I decided I would simply buy a kitchen aid and also send it to Colombia.

Now, in total I'll be spending $1,500. Is this a good investment? I really want this to work and I'm going to be going to Colombia to live for a while to fully test out this idea in the year 2015. *By fully test out I mean I will open the shop every day and sell pizza in different locations. In the meantime, a family member will be handling the business on some days.*

I'm also in need of a name, I wanted to name it Conspizzary but it doesn't sound well and what does Conspiracy have to do with pziza? Any name suggestions will be appreciated.

« Last Edit: October 16, 2013, 11:29:12 PM by Auralnauts »
Dough, stretch, sauce, cheese; check.

Offline waltertore

• Vendor
    • The Smiling With Hope Bakery
Re: Update on my "pizzeria"
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2013, 02:03:14 PM »
I congragulate you on following your dream.  I am not sure how much pizza one has to sell in your country to survive but here you would need commercial equipment.  The equipment you have listed would be good for a home/hobby set up that served a few people.  The kitchen aid will burn up if put to commericlal demands and the oven is will never keep up either. Walter

Offline Auralnauts

• What's a pizza anyway?
« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2013, 03:38:48 PM »
Howdy. Well, for now this is simply to test how it would go and if people would like my flavors. I've only ever had a kitchen aid worth $200 burn out on me and that was because of nonstop use and loads of heat in the kitchen. Anyway, it's not that hard to repair it there if it does occur and making a brick oven is possible once I see the business kick off, I just don't want to waste money.

Also, weber grills maintain heat up to 750 degrees, cooking a pizza ridiculously fast.

Offline tinroofrusted

• Supporting Member
  • Experimenting....
« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2013, 04:14:09 PM »
Aural, you are right that the old guard will have to make room for the younger chefs. After all, L'Escoffier was a young man at one time, wasn't he? So it goes. With a bit of luck, one day you will be at the top of the Colombian pizza pyramid trying to fend off the young Turks.

I am curiois to know what kind of flavors are you thinking of?  It's probably not possible for you to disclose everything at this time, but it would be interesting to  learn what types of flavors you  envision on pizza.  Tell us as much as you can, and best of luck in your new venture. 

Regards,

TinRoof

Offline waltertore

• Vendor
« Reply #4 on: October 17, 2013, 05:56:35 PM »
Auralnauts:  I beg to differ on the oldtimers needing to get with things I am one going on 60 and been making pizzas for over 50 years. Maybe I am confused by your intial post?  Is it just in Columbia that you feel pizza is stagnant?   I was taught as a young boy by my mother and her family who came here from Italy and grew up in the NYC/NJ pizza world.  A basic tomato/cheese pie with the right crust, done right, is about impossible to top.   Lots of todays new pizza makers are not at all skilled and try to mask their lack of skills with all kinds of fancy stuff which currently is wood fired ovens and exotic ingredients.  A gas deck oven can produce pizzas that are beautiful.  In my youth I rushed to anyone who could make a great pie and would beg them to let me watch and learn.   The days of learning from the ground up from masters is dying and no exotic new concoctions are going to make up for a lack of skill.  A true pizza maker takes decades to happen.  In today's world people want to be experts in 2 weeks.  Most wood fired pizzas I have tried are garbage made by people that think they are masters after a couple years of occasional/seasonal backyard baking.  Anthony, the owner of Una Pizza and I had a long conversation on this subject this summer......  On the other hand it excites me to see this new movement because it just makes my pies shine all the more :) which are made in 1970's blodgett 1000 gas deck ovens.  Walter
« Last Edit: October 17, 2013, 08:55:26 PM by waltertore »

Offline Auralnauts

• What's a pizza anyway?
« Reply #5 on: October 17, 2013, 10:30:44 PM »
Colombia has a lot of fresh, cheap ingredients and a lot of interesting "quick bites". I will be incorporating those to my pizzas, I already tried using aji and empanada spiced chicken on a pizza with some cilantro... delicious. That's really the only one I can blatantly say as the rest are still experiments I'm working on.

As for old timers. I have great respect for the elders who've been doing this for years. But I strongly disagree with you. Pizza isn't one style, it never was. But what old timers think is that there's only 1 way to flavor pizzas, and experimenting with different flavors is disgraceful.... which is highly wrong. I do agree that sometimes a cheese pizza is the way to go, but a hundred years of the same flavor can get old. You have to be able to bring something new to the table or you won't continue to progress.

This is from a social Darwinist point of view, by the way. I know many will disagree with me on here but I'd like you to know I have high respect for the old timers.

As for the wood fired ovens; I'm choosing them because they're portable, cheap, and cook the pizza in a different fashion which I personally find more tasty. I have revised my plan because you were right, I would be screwing up by only having a 1 pizza oven. I decided to do the stack method for the KettlePizza.

The stack method basically is that you can stack another grill ontop of the first kettlepizza and then put another kettlepizza on that grill and the lid on top. Cooks the same but now has the capacity of 2 pizzas. In total, I've decided to have a 6 pizza "oven". By purchasing 3 grills and 6 kettle pizza ovens. I would take the risk of opening a business instead of going through all these steps but honestly it's too big of a risk in an area where pizza like this doesn't exist, and pizza is still considered a small snack food.

Offline waltertore

• Vendor
« Reply #6 on: October 18, 2013, 04:34:47 PM »
I support your dream!   Once you turn people onto good pizza you will be over the hump.  I have no knowledge of those grills, or cooking pizza on charcol grills.  I wonder how hard it will be to keep the charcol level up to snuff so your temp is steady?

I have been driven to follow my  dreams all my life.  Heck I did music full time for 20 years by spontaneously creating all my music and words everytime I played/recorded.  I still do it and record about 300 cds of my spontaneous music a year in my recording studio.  The industry told me I could not do this and banished me.  No agent, label, would touch me so I started my own label, booked myself between 200-300 gigs a year around the world and often had some of the greats of rock and blues in my band.  This was all done pre internet, pre cell phone.   Money has never driven me but my passion has.  I have been broke more times than not but man what a wonderful life I have had so far and my current bakery/pizzeria special education teacher gig in a high school is the latest chapter.  If one is truly driven it will always come to pass.  Walter

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default.cfm?bandID=157137
« Last Edit: October 18, 2013, 04:37:48 PM by waltertore »

Offline Auralnauts

• What's a pizza anyway?
« Reply #7 on: October 20, 2013, 11:48:27 AM »
Very inspiring video. This is something I love, I can imagine myself waking up every morning to make wonderful, delicious food for people for the rest of my life.

As for the temperature control, I'm going to have to make some modifications to the grill itself as to make it easier for me to put coal and wood in. I saw a thread here once about it, I have it saved somewhere... but anyway:

As I cannot be in Colombia full time until a couple of years I have to entrust my business to one of my family members. It's not that I don't trust her, it's that I want to be able to maintain full power of the pizzeria. How can I set up a system so I can see all the profit we make even if she tries changing it?

Offline tinroofrusted

• Supporting Member
  • Experimenting....
« Reply #8 on: October 20, 2013, 12:51:22 PM »
Aural, your GIF animation is disgusting.  Please remove it.  Thanks. 

Offline Auralnauts

• What's a pizza anyway?
« Reply #9 on: October 20, 2013, 02:56:59 PM »
Aural, your GIF animation is disgusting.  Please remove it.  Thanks.

Hahaha what's so gross about it...? It's from inglourious basterds.

Offline tinroofrusted

• Supporting Member
  • Experimenting....
« Reply #10 on: October 20, 2013, 03:25:53 PM »
It's sadistic and has no place in our forum.

Offline Auralnauts

• What's a pizza anyway?
« Reply #11 on: October 20, 2013, 09:07:41 PM »
It's sadistic and has no place in our forum.

...? I thought you were joking but no, I'm not removing the gif as it isn't against the forums TOS.

Offline kiwipete

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizza!
« Reply #12 on: October 20, 2013, 09:26:35 PM »
As I cannot be in Colombia full time until a couple of years I have to entrust my business to one of my family members. It's not that I don't trust her, it's that I want to be able to maintain full power of the pizzeria. How can I set up a system so I can see all the profit we make even if she tries changing it?

If you require a system like that, you don't trust her implicitly. I suggest you find someone else, that you can trust implicitly.

Offline Auralnauts

• What's a pizza anyway?
« Reply #13 on: October 20, 2013, 10:03:57 PM »
I decided to go with a cousin and my aunt. This way my aunt won't handle the money and my cousin can work half day so both aren't over working.

Offline Nata S.

• I Like it Hot!
« Reply #14 on: November 27, 2013, 07:53:07 PM »
@Auralnauts:

Not sure if they are an "Authorized" Weber dealer but you should know there is a huge store about 15 minutes from Medellin, Colombia. They sell all types of BBQ grills, including Weber grills. The store is called Grill Academy and it's located in the Indiana Mall which is at the round point up on top of Las Palmas as you're heading for the airport in Rionegro.  In addition to selling BBQ grills they also sell sports and gym equipment along with bicycles but the entire first floor of their store is dedicated to BBQ grills and grill accessories.

Here's a link to their web site:  http://grillacademy.com.co/

Nata S. :chef:

Offline Auralnauts

• What's a pizza anyway?
« Reply #15 on: December 01, 2013, 03:50:00 PM »
@Auralnauts:

Not sure if they are an "Authorized" Weber dealer but you should know there is a huge store about 15 minutes from Medellin, Colombia. They sell all types of BBQ grills, including Weber grills. The store is called Grill Academy and it's located in the Indiana Mall which is at the round point up on top of Las Palmas as you're heading for the airport in Rionegro.  In addition to selling BBQ grills they also sell sports and gym equipment along with bicycles but the entire first floor of their store is dedicated to BBQ grills and grill accessories.

Here's a link to their web site:  http://grillacademy.com.co/

Nata S. :chef:

Thanks a bunch, that helps a bunch since I don't have to ship weber grills there, which would have cost a lot.

pizzapan