Author Topic: Preferred temp of Dough Ball to push out and get best Oven-spring  (Read 1147 times)

Offline SPCo.

• Standard Pizza Co.
Just wondering if anyone has really paid attention to what temp the prefer to push out their dough ball and what kind of oven-spring they get. I haven't started testing or recording temps yet, but find that I like right around 55F. What's your ideal temp?

Offline The Dough Doctor

• Tom Lehmann
  • Lifetime Member
Re: Preferred temp of Dough Ball to push out and get best Oven-spring
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2013, 04:01:35 PM »
SP;
Your number are pretty close to what we have found in our research here at AIB. We have found that the "magic" number/temperature is 50F. If you try opening the dough ball much below this the dough can be a bit problematic to get opened, and then it can give you fits with bubbles. At 50F the dough opens well and bubbles are minimized. The upper end of the temperature scale is around 60F. At this temperature the dough opens very well but depending upon the dough formulation, if you have a number of dough balls to open things can start to get out of control pretty quickly.
Tom Lehmann/The Dough Doctor

Online Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2013, 04:20:55 PM »
SPCo,

I can't speak for the Neapolitan style, but some years ago I read that the standard at Papa John's called for a temperature of 54 degrees F to open up their dough balls. I do not believe that there is a strong correlation between that temperature and oven spring. It will depend on the dough and its degree of fermentation and a host of other factors.

Peter

Offline thezaman

• Lifetime Member
  • I Love Pizza!
    • lorenzos pizza
« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2013, 08:32:34 PM »
 my personal number is 70 to 75 degrees. remember you are cooking at 800 plus degrees and under two minutes. everything but the cheese needs to be close to room temperature. neapolitan cooks adapt to the conditions and make the adjustments needed to put out a consistent product

Offline mkevenson

• Lifetime Member
  • Roos! Protector of Fowl
« Reply #4 on: October 24, 2013, 01:18:26 PM »
Interesting topic! I have never measured my dough temp after it has come out of the fridge and been at room temp for 2 hrs. I do measure the dough ball temp before it goes in the fridge for it's cold retarded ferment. Seems if you want it at 50F after sitting out of the fridge, you can't do it at room temp, unless your room is also 50F, burrrrrr.

Tom, after a cold ferment where to you keep you dough ball so it achieves 50F?

Mark
"Gettin' better all the time" Beatles

Offline pacdunes

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #5 on: October 24, 2013, 07:05:04 PM »
I'd be interested in more details as well, since I didn't even consider the temp when I opened the dough.  I just left the tupperware out in room temp for several hours, where my room temp is around 78 deg.  I guess I need to pay more attention to this factor.

pizzapan