Author Topic: Rate this pie - Arrosto in Port Chester, NY  (Read 1229 times)

Offline chasenpse

• Supporting Member
    • Battle Hill Media
Rate this pie - Arrosto in Port Chester, NY
« on: October 17, 2013, 07:06:44 AM »
My lady and I went out last night to Arrosto in Port Chester, NY for a night out, I picked the spot because I secretly wanted to see how well their pizza was. I ended up ordering a margherita pie, It wasn't bad but two things stood out. The cornicione had a very ashy taste unlike other neo pies I've had before, and the cheese was very firm and not all that melted. In fact it looked like it was starting to burn before it even got the chance to melt.

What do you people think, based on this (poorly lit) photo are there any educated guesses you can make about this pizzaiolo's methods?
If Tetris has taught me anything, itís that errors pile up and accomplishments disappear.

Offline italdream

Re: Rate this pie - Arrosto in Port Chester, NY
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2013, 05:22:00 PM »
My lady and I went out last night to Arrosto in Port Chester, NY for a night out, I picked the spot because I secretly wanted to see how well their pizza was. I ended up ordering a margherita pie, It wasn't bad but two things stood out. The cornicione had a very ashy taste unlike other neo pies I've had before, and the cheese was very firm and not all that melted. In fact it looked like it was starting to burn before it even got the chance to melt.

What do you people think, based on this (poorly lit) photo are there any educated guesses you can make about this pizzaiolo's methods?

Starting at a maximum of 9.5 (Da Michele, Di Matteo, Presidente, Lombardi, Pellone - you choose - where 10 is never awarded)
I take 2 points off, for general appearance - cornicione too puffy - uneven charring and blistering etc.
I take another point off for proportions (cornicione too big vis a vis the pizza)
Another point goes off for cheese appearance (too dry, unmelted, sparse) and oil appearance and distribution
Sauce Dryness another half-point off

Like this, I would rate it about five based on picture alone. Actual flavor may of course bring the rating up or down.

P.S. Am I the only one who hates when they pre-cut a whole Neapolitan-style pizza before it is served?

Online Tscarborough

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
    • Pizza Anarchy
« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2013, 10:21:11 PM »
All that matters is how it tasted, so I won't rate it, but I would say that the dough is not a Neapolitan dough at all.  Commercial cheese in too large of lumps, and not sauced far enough to the rim.

Offline f.montoya

« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2013, 12:15:12 PM »
Sounds like amateurs pizza makers using frozen cheese. If it don't melt, it's too cold, too big or it's not really Mozz. In a restaurant, with that large of a cornice, they could have stretched it out a bit more to fit the plate as well. BUT...

Taste is the bottom line. That looks better than many of my early attempts.  :-D

Offline chasenpse

• Supporting Member
    • Battle Hill Media
« Reply #4 on: October 18, 2013, 01:53:12 PM »
Thanks for the feedback everyone. Like I said before the cornice tasted so strongly of ash that I stopped eating them, the pie itself wasn't anything amazing either. I just wish I could get the opportunity to bake with their oven, I'd love to give neapolitan pies a shot!
If Tetris has taught me anything, itís that errors pile up and accomplishments disappear.

Offline Gags

« Reply #5 on: October 21, 2013, 08:24:12 PM »
That's not cheese - those are marshmallows, right?
"I'd trade it all for just a little bit more"

Offline corkd

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizza!
« Reply #6 on: October 25, 2013, 11:15:14 AM »
How can one rate a pizza without having tasted it?

Offline chasenpse

• Supporting Member
    • Battle Hill Media
« Reply #7 on: October 25, 2013, 01:28:00 PM »
How can one rate a pizza without having tasted it?

By using one's powers of observation. I've seen members make accurate guesses at dough formulas based solely from photos, I don't see the difference here with what I asked.