Author Topic: Ordering and non-Blackstone rotisserie motor...recommendations?  (Read 1268 times)

Offline moosebytes

Ordering and non-Blackstone rotisserie motor...recommendations?
« on: October 17, 2013, 01:39:31 PM »
Our motor is whining like crazy when operating and the platter is difficult to turn w/o force with the motor off.
I've contacted BS and I suspect they'll be sending me a new motor, but would rather use that (if they send one)
as a backup, and install a more powerful one. Any recommendations? Especially for one that doesn't
require a lot of tweaks or BS work-arounds to install.
This seems like a great oven, but I'm really concerned about its durability/lifespan with "normal" usage.
« Last Edit: October 17, 2013, 03:57:31 PM by Bill/SFNM »

Offline mkevenson

• Lifetime Member
  • Roos! Protector of Fowl
Re: Ordering and non-Blackstone rotisserie motor...recommendations?
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2013, 04:09:01 PM »
How long have you used your BS oven?, How many pies per week?

Mark
"Gettin' better all the time" Beatles

Offline Tampa

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2013, 05:49:12 PM »
How long have you used your BS oven?, How many pies per week?
Mark
Qarl recommended this one and it looks fine to me.  http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00BP1KT1I/?tag=pizzamaking-20

Or check out this post for a bunch of choices at competitive prices http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,25127.msg282971.html#msg282971
dave

Offline moosebytes

« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2013, 02:13:04 PM »
Thanks for those links. I went ahead and ordered the PayandPack motor from Amazon yesterday and got it today. It's installed (no problems at all), and it is very quiet. Still, something is impeding the turning of the platter, and I believe that either the weld on the bottom shelf is not true, or the shaft itself is not straight-although I did put a level up against the shaft and it was as straight as straight can be. Also, whatever is going on with the platter is causing it to wobble as it turns. Maybe tilt is a better description than wobble. As it turns,it begins to dip on the side opposite the burner, so that the burner side of the platter is raised...and quite a bit. At some point in each turn, the platter is level with a good 1/2 gap between the bottom of it and the shelf. When at the apex of the dip/rise, the gap on the dip side is 1/4" and the rise side up to 3/4". Don't know how we missed this. It seems to me I saw a video here of someones platter turning and that looked out of kilter like ours. Maybe it was a Norma post. In any event, to this point, this has not seemed to create any havoc with the pizza's in terms of more browning on one side or the other. I've informed Blackstone about this.

Offline Tampa

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #4 on: October 18, 2013, 05:18:15 PM »
Thanks for those links. I went ahead and ordered the PayandPack motor from Amazon yesterday and got it today. It's installed (no problems at all), and it is very quiet. Still, something is impeding the turning of the platter, and I believe that either the weld on the bottom shelf is not true, or the shaft itself is not straight-although I did put a level up against the shaft and it was as straight as straight can be. Also, whatever is going on with the platter is causing it to wobble as it turns. Maybe tilt is a better description than wobble. As it turns,it begins to dip on the side opposite the burner, so that the burner side of the platter is raised...and quite a bit. At some point in each turn, the platter is level with a good 1/2 gap between the bottom of it and the shelf. When at the apex of the dip/rise, the gap on the dip side is 1/4" and the rise side up to 3/4". Don't know how we missed this. It seems to me I saw a video here of someones platter turning and that looked out of kilter like ours. Maybe it was a Norma post. In any event, to this point, this has not seemed to create any havoc with the pizza's in terms of more browning on one side or the other. I've informed Blackstone about this.
The shaft in your oven is not 90 degrees with the platter.  Check out this post for the fix http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,25127.msg266107.html#msg266107
Dave

Offline moosebytes

« Reply #5 on: October 18, 2013, 05:50:11 PM »
The shaft in your oven is not 90 degrees with the platter.  Check out this post for the fix http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,25127.msg266107.html#msg266107
Dave

Your 2nd picture looks exactly like my platter, but when I put a level up to the shaft as you did in pic #1, it shows mine as straight.

Offline red kiosk

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #6 on: October 18, 2013, 05:57:50 PM »
I'm thinking that there may be some weld material on top of the bushing where the collar rests on or that the collar is not welded in perfectly flat. If you have a mini level or maybe one of those round button levels, place it on the top bushing (the one welded onto the top shelf). Someone else's Blackstone had a messy weld up top with extra weld material sitting on the top surface. Otherwise, your two shaft holes are not aligned and a new body is in order. Hope this helps and take care!

Jim
The pathologically precise are annoying, but right!

Offline Mother

« Reply #7 on: October 19, 2013, 09:53:57 AM »
There have also been a few of us with alignment issues between the top and bottom holes, making it a bit harder for the platter to turn than it should be.

Was/is it difficult to get the shaft down into the body, or does it drop right in easy?

Offline moosebytes

« Reply #8 on: October 26, 2013, 10:40:20 PM »
There have also been a few of us with alignment issues between the top and bottom holes, making it a bit harder for the platter to turn than it should be.

Was/is it difficult to get the shaft down into the body, or does it drop right in easy?

No, it doesn't drop in or pull out all that easy. Made enough screaching noise to scare the dog when I yanked it out. Attached are two images of both the shaft and the base weld.

The base weld:

The shaft:

Hopefully these images post!

Offline moosebytes

« Reply #9 on: October 26, 2013, 10:41:22 PM »
I see the weld image didn't post??

here is a 2nd attempt:

Offline Tampa

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #10 on: October 27, 2013, 08:48:11 AM »
Moose,

The platter/shaft angle is not 90 degrees.  You can refer to my earlier post to fix that or just take a long pipe, put it over the shaft, stand on the platter, bend it a small amount, and check again.  It takes several tries to get it just right (90 degrees) from all directions.

The bushing alignment is more complicated.  The level assumes the floor is level, the legs are even, the lower support plate (w/ bearing) is level, but the upper bushing is off.  The easy answer is to request a new housing, but I usually just fix stuff rather than wait.  Really all that matters is that the bore of the upper bushing aligns with the bore of the lower bushing (it's actually a bearing on the lower level). 

Here is how I would approach the bushing alignment.  First I'd see if I have a broom handle or something that is the same diameter as the platter shaft.  If so I'd insert the lightweight shaft into the upper bushing to see where it naturally aligns and rotates without binding.  If I didn't have a lightweight shaft I'd use the heavier platter drive shaft itself.  Assuming the lower plate and bearing are level, I'd just use the shaft as leverage to bend the upper bushing support plate a little so the shaft slides in easily and rotates freely.  A little bend in that plate should be as reliable over time as a new one.

Dave

Offline moosebytes

« Reply #11 on: October 27, 2013, 11:36:02 AM »
Moose,

The platter/shaft angle is not 90 degrees.  You can refer to my earlier post to fix that or just take a long pipe, put it over the shaft, stand on the platter, bend it a small amount, and check again.  It takes several tries to get it just right (90 degrees) from all directions.

The bushing alignment is more complicated.  The level assumes the floor is level, the legs are even, the lower support plate (w/ bearing) is level, but the upper bushing is off.  The easy answer is to request a new housing, but I usually just fix stuff rather than wait.  Really all that matters is that the bore of the upper bushing aligns with the bore of the lower bushing (it's actually a bearing on the lower level). 

Here is how I would approach the bushing alignment.  First I'd see if I have a broom handle or something that is the same diameter as the platter shaft.  If so I'd insert the lightweight shaft into the upper bushing to see where it naturally aligns and rotates without binding.  If I didn't have a lightweight shaft I'd use the heavier platter drive shaft itself.  Assuming the lower plate and bearing are level, I'd just use the shaft as leverage to bend the upper bushing support plate a little so the shaft slides in easily and rotates freely.  A little bend in that plate should be as reliable over time as a new one.

Dave

I'd be really afraid of breaking the shaft at the weld when trying to bend it as you did. Blackstone wanted to know what was off-the shaft or the weld. As it stands now, I can rotate the platter with one finger if I apply some force, but Blackstone says it should turn "freely", and I assume that means turning the platter with hardly any force at all. I'm going to send them the pictures and let them decide what they should replace.  ;D ;D

Offline Qarl

• I love to cook! and eat!
    • Black Pug Brewing
« Reply #12 on: October 27, 2013, 11:54:06 AM »
Qarl recommended this one and it looks fine to me.  http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00BP1KT1I/?tag=pizzamaking-20

Or check out this post for a bunch of choices at competitive prices http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,25127.msg282971.html#msg282971
dave

I have 4 pizza sessions so far on the new motor.  No issues.  Still quiet and works great!

Offline Tampa

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #13 on: October 27, 2013, 05:36:43 PM »
I'd be really afraid of breaking the shaft at the weld when trying to bend it as you did. Blackstone wanted to know what was off-the shaft or the weld. As it stands now, I can rotate the platter with one finger if I apply some force, but Blackstone says it should turn "freely", and I assume that means turning the platter with hardly any force at all. I'm going to send them the pictures and let them decide what they should replace.  ;D ;D
No problem, work it w/ BS.  FWIIW, I spent 30 minutes or more tweaking (bending) the shaft with a long pipe to get it exactly perfect.  I didn't have any problem with the weld.  A decent weld is quite strong.  To be clear, I inserted the pipe all the way down over the shaft which put all the leverage and stress exactly on that weld (I didn't want to risk bending the drive shaft).  The funny thing is that soon after aligning the shaft, the collar slipped and the platter dropped onto the stainless steel ledge which stopped rotation completely for ~5 minutes during a full blast warm-up.  Luckily, I was using a HD rotisserie motor, and once I got the platter height set again, the motor was working fine.  In my case, the platter exposed to hot flame for several minutes, didn't warp.  YMMV.
Dave

pizzapan