Author Topic: About to build a LBE  (Read 759 times)

Offline yoyoman

• I Love Pizza!
About to build a LBE
« on: October 17, 2013, 03:49:29 PM »
I got a propane burner and 18" Weber kettle for free off of Freecyle, so it looks like I'm going down the LBE route. I have some questions as I start my build ...

1. Is there an "optimal" or at least suggested height be/w the burner and the top grate? My propane burner has a large square platform, and so I can cut off quite a bit of the kettle and still have it rest on the burner.

2. I have read that all burners are not the same. Since I got mine for free, is there something I should check to see if it'll be suitable?

3. I have a 16" stone on its way. Is that good enough to get started? I know some use 2 stacked stones, and I've read about stones lining the bottom of the grill and in the lid ...

Thanks in advance. I think I may be gutting the kettle this weekend!

Offline mkevenson

• Lifetime Member
  • Roos! Protector of Fowl
Re: About to build a LBE
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2013, 04:04:15 PM »
YoYoman, I also use propane for my oven and converted my 30 BTU burner to a 60 BTU burner. This requires a different regulator as well. Try to determine the BTU of your burner. You can also just use it as is and see how hot your stone gets, using an IR gun.

Good luck with your project.

Mark
"Gettin' better all the time" Beatles

Offline yoyoman

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2013, 04:15:20 PM »
I'll check BTU when I get home. I was thinking about a new regulator just for the sake of removing the built in timer.

scott123

« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2013, 01:33:53 AM »
Mike, one of the most important aspects of an LBE is deflection.  You want a metal sheet/plate and an air gap under the stone so the heat deflects away from the stone and up and over the pizza.  If you don't have deflection, the stone tends to get way too hot and the bottom of the pizza burns before the top is done.

If you take a look at the LBE thread

http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,4753.msg284076.html#msg284076

I recently posted about inexpensive deflection options.

Offline yoyoman

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #4 on: October 18, 2013, 05:02:06 AM »
would using a second stone work? Isn't that what Villa Roma uses?

scott123

« Reply #5 on: October 18, 2013, 05:54:54 AM »
A second stone would work, but, for the material you'd need to stand up to this heat, cordierite, it's not going to be cheap- $40-$50 once shipping is taken into consideration.  Steel should also be a bit more durable. Lastly, cordierite will suck up heat, waste fuel and extend pre-heat times. An ideal deflector won't store heat, but, rather, bounce it, and will have minimal thermal mass.

Offline yoyoman

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #6 on: October 21, 2013, 11:03:47 PM »
My neighbor is a fellow forum member, and he said we can locally get a 16" steel sheet for less than the $18 ss serving tray. What thickness should I get for a deflector?

Offline zaafreak

« Reply #7 on: October 24, 2013, 02:24:40 PM »
Like Scott said, check out the LBE thread.

I strongly suggest Boatman2's LBE design on page 92.  His design is simple, cheap and IMO, incorporates all of the best design tweaks that LBE experimenters arrived at over years of trial and error.  My LBE is identical to Boatman2's and makes a amazing Neo/NY at a stone temp of 650 that blows my family's (NJ natives) minds.
« Last Edit: October 24, 2013, 02:59:22 PM by zaafreak »