Author Topic: any way of ordering impastata ricotta online?  (Read 1761 times)

Offline pbspelly

any way of ordering impastata ricotta online?
« on: October 18, 2013, 04:16:22 PM »
I've heard this really makes a difference for white pizza, but it's pretty tough to find

Offline mkevenson

• Lifetime Member
  • Roos! Protector of Fowl
Re: any way of ordering impastata ricotta online?
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2013, 07:11:25 PM »
"Ricotta Impastata is a very high quality of ricotta cheese. It is quite expensive and yes, difficult to find as it is only made in one region of Sicily. A very similar product is Ricotta Salata and easier to find. They both have a lighter flavor and a dryer texture than regular ricotta so they work well in canolis. You can find them at high end cheese shops, but I use a good quality ricotta and drain it in a sieve lined with paper towels or cheesecloth for several hours in the refrigerator. It works great, tastes fabulous and is certainly easier and less expensive. However, here are a few sites to order the Salata from..... www.igourmet.com www.DiBruno.com http://www.pastacheese.com/ricottasalata..."

obtained from google search
"Gettin' better all the time" Beatles

Offline mbrulato

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2013, 11:15:55 AM »
FWIW, I have used www.pastacheese.com but not for impastata.  They are located in Garden City, NY which for me living in NJ equates to getting my cheese usually within a day or two of ordering.

I agree with Mark, the cheesecloth trick in the fridge is good, especially if you don't want to shell out the cash for the more expensive impastata.  I also love ricotta salata and would definitely try it on pizza.  This should be easy enough to find in the supermarket.

I have seen impastata in RD but don't know the price.  The other thing you can do is to check your local Italian Deli, most of them carry those specialty type items in their refrigerated section.  This actually might be a better option since most of us don't need such huge containers of cheese that you would normally see in RD  ;D. Good luck.

Mary Ann
Mary Ann

Offline communist

« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2014, 02:58:14 PM »
I have always searched for a good ricotta for my connolis, and the only source I was satisfied with was the ricotta from the Mozzarella Company in Dallas.  However with Fed Ex shipping, it costs an arm and a leg ( ten bucks for the ricotta, 40 bucks for shipping ). I have done this for almost 20 years. I have tried all the store brands and they just don't do it for me.  I have made my own countless times, with all different types of milk or cream. No way - they just don't cut it.  I have noticed a few places with ricotta filling that are even smoother than my Mozzarella Company.  In desperation, my local grocer (Gerrity's) is carrying DiBruno Cheeses, and I thought I would give their ricotta a try.  It came repackaged with a label saying ricotta del pastaio.  Smoother, drier and creamier than any other ricotta.  Worked like a dream for my cannolis.  Wow.  I wonder if this is Grande ricotta cheese repackaged.  I will investigate and report in the future.  I am also going to try to sample Calabrio impastata ricotta.  I am thinking it may be very similar.  It may be very good on a white pizza also.  Mark

Offline nickr

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2014, 01:59:21 PM »
I have never heard of ricotta salata in cannoli. It's such a dry, crumbly and salty cheese. Do you cut back the amount of ricotta? I imagine you also alter the salt in the recipe?

Offline communist

« Reply #5 on: January 10, 2014, 10:17:45 PM »
I have never heard of salata in connoli either.  The ricotta del pastaio is very similar to standard ricotta but seems smoother, a bit richer and a bit less watery

Offline Mozzmaker

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #6 on: February 21, 2014, 11:46:57 AM »

If you are anywhere near a Gordon Food Service they carry it and it is really good.  You can find them On line.

pizzapan