Author Topic: Georgian Khachapuri  (Read 350 times)

Offline Sartanely

Georgian Khachapuri
« on: October 18, 2013, 05:40:54 PM »
Just wanted to share my experiment with you here. This is the kind of cheese bread that is the Counrty Georgia famous of as some of you already have tried or saw it somewhere. Traditionally it is made with soft dough filled with 2-3 day fermented cheese called "chkinti Kveli"
meaning soft cheese made from bafalo or cow's milk. It is not quite fresh mazzarella as it is fermented in the room temperature till maturity and that gives an unique flavor to the cheese kind of acidic side. You can just shred it with you hand and put in the dough with give it round shape and egg wash some more cheese on top and bake it on deck or wood fired ovens. There are several versions of Georgian Khachapuri all associated with deferent parts of country. I myself prefer Mengrelian Khachapuri(that the part of the country I  from and I just described how it is made)and Adjarisian Khachapuri, shaped like a boat filled open with cheese and eggs added 2-3 minutes just before it is done. I try to make it from combination of cheese here. Mostly I use trader joe's fresh or bafalo mazzarella with feta, ricotta, eggs. As for dough I use can use room preferment 2day dough or cold 3 day fermented.

Offline TXCraig1

Re: Georgian Khachapuri
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2013, 09:04:36 PM »
Looks great. I saw them is Saveur a couple months ago and have been meaning to try it.
I love pigs. They convert vegetables into bacon.

pizzapan