Author Topic: Moby Culture  (Read 4334 times)

Offline red kiosk

• I Love Pizza!
Re: Moby Culture
« Reply #25 on: October 29, 2013, 04:24:38 PM »
Mmmph,

Whoa, I feel like the unworthy here and am jealous of those baking with it already. Waiting for a good time to start MY well-appreciated, Cape Fear sample. Sometimes life gets in the way of life (actually my business took off crazy-like from an unexpected dormant period) and I'm simply scramblin' and smilin'! It's sitting on the kitchen counter and it will happen soon. Pics, of course will follow. Thanks again and take care!

Jim
The pathologically precise are annoying, but right!

Offline DenaliPete

« Reply #26 on: October 30, 2013, 05:45:30 AM »
Appears I missed out on a good thing.

Mmmph, should you throw out another sweepstakes on your starter, I hope to be diligent enough to see.

Pete

Offline texmex

« Reply #27 on: October 30, 2013, 10:00:18 AM »
Been very busy but I did manage to bake bread!
Silly me, no crumb shot! 

Yesterday I did a sniff test comparison of starters.  MOBY sure smells a bit more sophisticated.

I'll make some pizza dough soon.
Thanks again Mmmph!
Reesa

Offline mbrulato

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #28 on: October 30, 2013, 10:15:01 AM »
Those look tasty!  I really need to stop logging onto this forum when I'm hungry :)
Mary Ann

Offline Mmmph

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #29 on: October 30, 2013, 10:21:08 AM »
WOW...It just keeps getting better and better....
Sono venuto, ho visto, ho mangiato

Offline texmex

« Reply #30 on: November 03, 2013, 02:16:15 PM »
Cape Fear crumb shots
Reesa

Offline tinroofrusted

• Supporting Member
  • Experimenting....
« Reply #31 on: November 03, 2013, 02:30:39 PM »
Good looking, Tex!  Looks like delicious bread. 

Offline texmex

« Reply #32 on: November 03, 2013, 03:03:11 PM »
Thanks tin, delicious for sure! It has a very subtle sourness and the rise was fantastic! I love this supersoft sourdough recipe which does well in loaf pans or free-form.  It's all about kneading overkill, but I don't like butter dripping through big holes!

I'm happy to have a different nuance in flavor as my own culture is quite sour. (I named him CHUCK because he smelled a bit like up-chuck at the beginning stages)
Mmmph's grape culture is so much more refined and dignified, I think. LOL

Just now prepping to use my last pizza dough balls and will try MOBY in pizza in a few weeks when I come back from Houston.
Reesa

Offline Mmmph

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #33 on: November 03, 2013, 03:59:25 PM »

Offline Peasant

« Reply #34 on: November 25, 2013, 10:07:32 PM »
I thought I would piggyback this thread since Mmmph referenced it for other users' results with the Cape Fear culture in the second round offering:
http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,28464.0.html

I did get it into pizza balls but I wasn't happy with my method (balls were really tight and not extensible).  I most likely let the dough bulk too long for the amount of culture in it and I wasn't happy with the size of the pies.  However I did make very delicious Tartine-style sourdoughs (attached).  I had similar observations as tinroofrusted.  The starter was very bubbly, almost like soap, after activating it.  And as far as taste and smell, there's a slight sourness (much less than my own culture) and very pleasant sweet smell.  I'll try it again in a less rushed manner in a couple weeks  :P

Offline Peasant

« Reply #35 on: November 25, 2013, 10:07:49 PM »
Thanks again Mmmph!

Offline Mmmph

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #36 on: November 26, 2013, 09:04:21 AM »
WOW! You sure make a good looking hunk of bread.

Offline texmex

« Reply #37 on: December 21, 2013, 01:35:46 PM »
Just wanted to update on this fine starter.  I have neglected my own starter --ie: it has not seen dough since Moby came to roost.  ;D 

I've been very pleased with the way this culture just bounces into action soon after it is fed.  I was very surprised to see that it blooms in my fridge as well, where my own does not until it has been at room temp at least a day.

I normally just take out the majority of the Moby starter and place it in a bowl, weighing the amount. I then feed my remaining residue starter container with 100 grams water and 100 grams flour, and stick it back in the fridge -it always blooms after a 3 or 4 days in fridge-if I'm not already using it again sooner to bake more loaves, whereas my own starter won't do this. (sometimes I actually put my starter residue in a clean container before feeding it and storing in fridge, but not always)

I feed my bowl of weighed starter the same 100/100, cover it and let that sit out overnight.  In my cold kitchen it gets nice bubbles and then I feed it the remainder of flour/water needed for my specific recipe and it is normally ready to  use in 4 to 6 hours.  I have been baking so much bread with this lovely starter that I forgot what pizza tastes like!
Reesa

Offline Peasant

« Reply #38 on: December 22, 2013, 07:39:15 PM »
Hey Mmmph, is this really just a wild culture? I just took the dormant starter out of the fridge yesterday morning. After feeding it around midnight, it looked so bubbly and active I considered just using it without another refresher feeding!

This stuff is nuts

Offline Mmmph

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #39 on: December 22, 2013, 08:07:22 PM »
It is 100% wild captured.

It's good. That's why I shared it.
Just wanted to see if others would
have the same successes as I've had.

Enjoy!

Offline chasenpse

• Battle Hill Media
« Reply #40 on: December 23, 2013, 10:13:51 AM »
Any idea when another Moby lottery might occur? I'd love to give my recipe a shot with this culture  :chef:
If Tetris has taught me anything, itís that errors pile up and accomplishments disappear.

Offline texmex

« Reply #41 on: March 28, 2014, 07:38:50 PM »
Cape Fear and sprouted wheat berry bread.  First attempt is edible-just barely!  :-D.
I forgot the salt (nothing a little salted butter and a shake of pink sea salt can't fix)
The loaf is quite dense and just the slightest bit gummy, but that flavor of wheat and sourdough! 

First off, I had never sprouted a wheat berry in my life, and I used no yeast, with just enough bench flour to keep the ultra-sticky dough tamed. The only other flour was what was in the sourdough after I fed it a few times.  When making dough I normally start with a smidge of the cold and sleepy cape fear mother, give it a modest feeding of 25 grams water and 25 g flour, wait for it to bubble then feed it another 25/25 and let that rise then I will feed and rise with another 50/50 and use all of that amount (about 200 grams total) in my bread dough.  I ran my sprouted wheat berries through my masticating juicer and got a really dense blob of pure, sweet, sticky dough and then I forced that mess through the juicer again. It weighed in at 900 grams.  I added the 200g of sourdough, threw in some salt shakes (not enough) added a couple squeezes of honey and dribbled in some olive oil and about a half cup of water with some powdered milk.   Just think of how well this bread could have been if I had done some precision baking instead of not expecting much.   LOL  Oh well...  anyway, I developed the gluten a bit with stretch and folds every couple hours, refrigerated overnight, then started the process again at room temp, it was rising beautifully!  baked this monstrosity at  400 for at least an hour - wanted that internal temp to hit 110 but I got to 104 before I had to turn the oven off because I was running late and needed to leave my house.   :-D

This is something I will be trying again.  The flavor of that wheat is just extraordinary!  None of the online recipes I could find use sourdough exclusively.  Most all of them used other flours with partial sprouted wheat content, plus yeast.  I felt the cape fear sourdough would be up to the task, and I still feel that, but I did not honor the dough with precision. 
I also should not be baking a 1000+ grams  loaf in such a small loaf pan!  I was deceived by the rising of the dough over the top edge of the pan, when it was already 3/4 full once I put the dough in. I baked it when it really had not re-risen enough after I put it in the loaf pan.  I should not bake bread when rushed, but the berries and the cultures are on their own time as we all know, and timing is everything.   

After a getting the full-bodied flavor of this inferior loaf (cough-brick) of bread, I am determined to experiment and make this recipe a success.  All I need is some more wheat berries.  I'll try to post a few pics.

« Last Edit: March 28, 2014, 07:53:00 PM by texmex »
Reesa

Offline tinroofrusted

• Supporting Member
  • Experimenting....
« Reply #42 on: March 28, 2014, 07:46:18 PM »
Cape Fear and sprouted wheat berry bread.  First attempt is edible-just barely!  :-D.
I forgot the salt (nothing a little salted butter and a shake of pink sea salt can't fix)

You made Tuscan style bread!  Salted butter it is. 

Offline texmex

« Reply #43 on: March 28, 2014, 07:56:22 PM »
You made Tuscan style bread!  Salted butter it is.

Wish I knew that before I posted my diatribe! :-D
Reesa