Author Topic: A great thanks to Tom Lehmann  (Read 1139 times)

Offline runeli

• I Love Pizza!
A great thanks to Tom Lehmann
« on: December 05, 2013, 07:07:01 PM »
I finally got it. After years of Pizza making I think I got the hang of it.

I am selling Pizza here for friends, colleagues and neighbors, but was not happy with the crust, It didn't taste anything and the edges was hard.

After some advice from Tom I changes the recipe and keep the dough cold as possible. I use almost frozen water and knead the dough by hand. Around 5 min. knead and 10 min in the freezer. Do this for 3 rounds then it past the "windows test" ( I planed to go to Bangkok this weekend to look for a planetary mixer, but due to the rally going one there, I am not sure)

After 24h fermentation I keep the dough balls on the bench for 45 minute (temperature around 20 degrease C. Kitchen temperature is around 32-35). Tom's advice was to start working the dough around 24 degrease, but I think as soon as I start forming the Pizza the temperature rise quit quickly, so as I said I start when the dough around 20 degrease.

My recipe is:
100 % flour (I used to use plain bread flour made in Thailand, but it was not good. I found some Italian flour with protein content  of 12.7%. Tom advice was to use a higher content of protein, but I don't find it here).
Water 63%
ADY 0.5%
Sugar 1%
Salt 1.8%
Oil 2%

Offline runeli

• I Love Pizza!
Re: A great thanks to Tom Lehmann
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2013, 07:15:06 PM »
I forgot to tell. The Pizza is 12" and baked on Pizza stone for 6 minutes at 280C. I have to pre-bake it because Thais want much fillings.
The crust is now crispy outside and soft inside. when you chews in to it the texture is like a crispy bite and inside if the edge is melting in your mouth  :)
« Last Edit: December 05, 2013, 07:20:15 PM by runeli »

Offline adm

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2013, 05:40:06 PM »
Nice work! Now you just need to educate Thailand on the "less is more" philosophy.

But man - you have some great ingredients to work with. How about a Pla Sam Rod pizza! Okay...that might be a little strange, but certainly some of those hawker sausages and hot chills would awesome.

Offline pythonic

• Pizza......its what's for dinner!
« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2013, 09:05:06 PM »
Great work.  What kind of sauce and cheese are your using?
If you can dodge a wrench you can dodge a ball.

Offline runeli

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #4 on: December 19, 2013, 11:55:26 PM »
Great work.  What kind of sauce and cheese are your using?

I make the sauce from imported tomato pulp from Italy. On 2.5 kg pulp I use 2 onions, handful of garlic, some dry oregano (not to much because it can make the sauce bitter), sugar and 200 ml of Olive oil. Boil on low heat for an hour or so to its reduced to 3/4.
For cheese I use Mozzarella. I have tried many different types and end up with a local producer. In Thailand we have mostly Burma cows, but I don't like the taste of their milk. This producer have milk from Holstein cows (breed) and have much more flavor and depth.   

Offline kdefay

« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2014, 10:05:54 PM »
Where in Thailand are you?  My wife and I have been running a small pizzeria in Lampang for the last two years.  Feel free to message me if you have any questions.

Offline PizzaEater101

« Reply #6 on: January 14, 2014, 03:22:16 PM »
When I think of Thailand or the Kingdom of Siam, I don't think pizza. I have however had pizza there.

Thailand is my favorite country to travel to, at least for the ones I been to but have not been all over the wolrd.

I was young, I was late teens and in Bangkok and on my own that day. I slipped into a Pizza Hut. I was surprised they had one but they did. I expected it to be not very good but it was. Back in the day I liked Pizza Hut but not now but for the day the Pizza Hut in Bangkok was up to US standards. It taste just like PH in Los Angeles. It was not inferior at all. I was surprised that PH had kept up standards half way around the world.

pizzapan