Author Topic: 4-1/2 min.  (Read 2626 times)

Offline wheelman

• Lifetime Member
4-1/2 min.
« on: October 20, 2013, 11:12:41 AM »
my novice NY experiments have continued for a few more tries.  it's been interesting trying to make this style of pizza.  i'm learning some new stuff about dough.  for this bake I tried to make the crust as thin as possible.  i'm not sure what the right thickness is for this style?  my doughballs were about 410g and the pies are about 15", which is about how deep my oven is.  this cheese was from WF.  they have a good provolone but they don't have any whole milk mozz so I used their part skim.  about half and half of each.  flour is 15% KABF and 85% All Trumps.  I did a really long pre-heat on the fan and broil.  the stone was  over 600f.  3 min. on fan, 1-1/2  on broil.  The crust was pretty soft, with a nice crisp outside layer on the rim.  cheese was a little rubbery as it cooled.  how do you keep the toppings from getting buried in the cheese?  should the crust be strong enough to hold out without sagging straight down? 
thanks,
bill

Online tinroofrusted

• Supporting Member
  • Experimenting....
Re: 4-1/2 min.
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2013, 11:41:36 AM »
Wow, gorgeous pizza! I'd say you nailed it. As to your question,  I think you want a little droop on the held slice but not a conplete collapse. Your TF is about right, looks like. 

Offline mkevenson

• Lifetime Member
  • Roos! Protector of Fowl
« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2013, 03:03:02 PM »
Bill, your pies look yummy. I live in Calif so I am no expert on NY style. From what I have read,it seems NY style presents with a flatter crust, ie same thickness from center to edge. I can't remember seeing a NY style with a thick,puffy, cornice. Of course I do live on the left coast :o .

Keep up the good work, your pies look like EATERS ^^^

Mark
"Gettin' better all the time" Beatles

Offline wheelman

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2013, 05:44:23 PM »
thanks Tin and Mark!  I admit to being confused about what NY is supposed to look like.  I watched the Tony G. video from Scott's threads that shows how to open and stretch dough.  that technique leads to a cornice of sorts. I also liked the look of the pies that Glutenboy posted that had a big crown.  Can anyone clarify the model for NY?  i'm sure there are variations.  I've been to Best and to Patsy's and they're pretty different. 
thanks,
bill

Offline Tscarborough

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
    • Pizza Anarchy
« Reply #4 on: October 20, 2013, 06:13:10 PM »
Looks great.  I generally end up with 320-350g for a 15 or 16" NY style, but that looks pretty spot on.

Offline wheelman

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #5 on: October 20, 2013, 07:55:49 PM »
that is interesting Tom.  your pies always look great. i'll try smaller doughballs next time.
I had another ball left that I tried tonight that was about 390g.  I tried to stretch it a little more and leave less around the edge.  I also used less sauce, less cheese and cooked it for another 45 sec before going to broil for the last min +.  the crust was more crisp, the cheese was less rubbery.  better I think.     about 5 min 15 sec. on this one. 
bill

Offline mkevenson

• Lifetime Member
  • Roos! Protector of Fowl
« Reply #6 on: October 20, 2013, 08:41:32 PM »
Bill, nice foldable crust. You are on your way!

Mark
"Gettin' better all the time" Beatles

Offline wheelman

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #7 on: October 20, 2013, 11:10:00 PM »
thanks Mark

Offline Serpentelli

• Supporting Member
    • Bat Man vs. The Penguin
« Reply #8 on: October 21, 2013, 02:26:52 PM »
Bill,

Those look fantastic. Your post reminds me about the importance of different thickness factors for different styles of pizza. Especially on some of your pics the size of the cornicione is really perfect. If there's one pizza thing I do poorly (and consistently) its to make my NY style pizzas with goofy/puffy corniciones. Yours pies do not have that problem.

If you have them I would like to see pics of the uncooked pies in those pics!

John K
I'm not wearing hockey pads!

Offline chickenparm

• Oh No,Not Pizza Again!!!
« Reply #9 on: October 21, 2013, 02:56:26 PM »
Nice!
-Bill

Offline wheelman

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #10 on: October 22, 2013, 10:00:26 AM »
thanks John and Parm.  I found one pic of undressed pie:

Offline Serpentelli

• Supporting Member
« Reply #11 on: October 22, 2013, 11:55:15 AM »
thanks John and Parm.  I found one pic of undressed pie:

Sorry,

Uncooked is what I meant to say. Interested in:

• How close sauce is to edge on uncooked pie
  • Is there any appreciable pre-bake difference between thickness of cornicione and dressed surface of pie

John K

Offline wheelman

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #12 on: October 22, 2013, 12:02:41 PM »
sorry, i'll take better shots next time of that.  on the last bake i left a noticable rim during stretching but it was smaller than the times before.  i sauced right up to that, so probably within about 3/4" or so of the edge. 
bill

Offline Serpentelli

• Supporting Member
« Reply #13 on: October 22, 2013, 12:05:22 PM »
sorry, i'll take better shots next time of that.  on the last bake i left a noticable rim during stretching but it was smaller than the times before.  i sauced right up to that, so probably within about 3/4" or so of the edge. 
bill

Appreciate that, Bill!

John K

Online waltertore

• Vendor
    • The Smiling With Hope Bakery
« Reply #14 on: October 22, 2013, 02:54:06 PM »
Bill,

Those look fantastic. Your post reminds me about the importance of different thickness factors for different styles of pizza. Especially on some of your pics the size of the cornicione is really perfect. If there's one pizza thing I do poorly (and consistently) its to make my NY style pizzas with goofy/puffy corniciones. Yours pies do not have that problem.

If you have them I would like to see pics of the uncooked pies in those pics!

John K

John: When you take your dough ball out of whatever you store it in, place it on a well floured surface.  I work the entire dough down, leaving the middle thicker than the edges.  Don't be afraid to pat down the rim.  Real NY pizza, the kind I grew  up on 1950's-70's and learned to make patted down the entire dough ball- you go a bit gentle on the very edge but don't be afraid to pat it down.  I hate the pizza hut looking rims one sees so often nowadays.  A pizza ain't suppose to be a perfect circle.  I watch a video now and again here by some "famous" NY pizza guy of today and they usually leave the rim untouched.  Here is a finished pie of ours and a short video of a guy, much faster worker than me and not sure of the product quality, preping the dough basically as we do without the fancy tossing.  Watch it and you will see the entire pie getting patted down.  I do the edges more than him.  I hope it helps some.  There has to be better videos out there than this but I couldn't find one. Most are all young kids or non Italians hot rodding.   By non Italians I mean no knock on any race.  It just made me realize how few people are left that were raised in the business and made pies for their entirel lives.  These are the guys I studied  under.  I need to make a video :)  Walter

« Last Edit: October 22, 2013, 03:18:21 PM by waltertore »

Offline wheelman

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #15 on: October 22, 2013, 04:41:39 PM »
"I need to make a video"   Walter

yes please!   :chef:

Online waltertore

• Vendor
« Reply #16 on: October 22, 2013, 05:13:06 PM »

I have a couple college students coming by to help tomorrow and I pay them in pizza  :)  I will bring my camera and ask them to video making a pie.  To be continued......  Walter

Offline Serpentelli

• Supporting Member
« Reply #17 on: October 22, 2013, 05:50:22 PM »
I have a couple college students coming by to help tomorrow and I pay them in pizza  :)  I will bring my camera and ask them to video making a pie.  To be continued......  Walter

One from each of you would be great! Both your pies look FAAAAAAR superior to Vito's!

John K

Online waltertore

• Vendor
« Reply #18 on: October 22, 2013, 06:04:48 PM »
One from each of you would be great! Both your pies look FAAAAAAR superior to Vito's!

John K

I tell you  it is disapointing to see how low pizza has gone in so many places back home.  I agree the pies here on the forum made by hobbyiests, are often way better looking than what you pay for.  The main thing is to not be afraid to mess around with your dough.   Try new things and see what happens.  I was lucky with some of the best deck oven pizza makers living right in my area.  The shops use to be top notch.  One would have their favorites but that was more of a personal choice than a quality thing.  Bad pizzerias just didn't survive.  Now they seem to thrive.   Luckily there are some real deals still going strong. Walter
« Last Edit: October 22, 2013, 06:24:36 PM by waltertore »

Online waltertore

• Vendor
« Reply #19 on: October 23, 2013, 02:21:50 PM »
Well the Denison volunteer canceled to study for an exam.  I had Paige video me but the memory card ran out on the first take.  I deleted a bunch of stuff off the camera and did another pie.  I rushed more than normal and we got it all in except the topping with fresh basil and slicing it up.   I will down load/post  it when I get home.  Walter

pizzapan