Author Topic: My pizza in America  (Read 5772 times)

Offline pizzanapoletana

• Pizza Napoletana as it was made in 1730!
    • Forno Napoletano - Pizza Ovens
My pizza in America
« on: March 06, 2006, 12:13:22 PM »
All,

As you may be aware, I am in US at the moment working on improving the Pizza Napoletana reputation in the country...

This is an example of what I am doing:

Offline pizzanapoletana

Re: My pizza in America
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2006, 12:21:11 PM »
More details...

Offline scott r

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizzafreaks!
« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2006, 12:54:38 PM »
Absolutely beautiful.... perfect.   Marco, these pies look amazing. A few questions.........

I know you could have achieved those beautiful results with either, but I am just wondering if you were using fresh yeast or a starter culture.

About how long was that pie in the oven?

Was the dough mixed with a fork mixer?
« Last Edit: March 06, 2006, 01:02:47 PM by scott r »

Offline briterian

• and some think pizza's easy!
« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2006, 01:46:22 PM »
What type of oven and what was the temperature?

ps: I'm jealous

Offline pizzanapoletana

« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2006, 02:16:17 PM »
Scott,

Always Questions...

What I can tell you is that I had to use a special mixing technique as we don't have a fork mixer (yet). cooking for as little as possible (under 90 seconds) in a wood oven, where the reading temperatue (on a side brick) was over 1000F (But I think it is irrelevant as I do not think the reading reflects the cooking time).

Ciao

Offline Bill/SFNM

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #5 on: March 06, 2006, 03:16:13 PM »
Marco,

This may seem like a stupid question, but what do you use for cutting the pizza into slices? I have a very old wheel and perhaps I need something better. At the line where it is cut is, the crust is crushed down and you don't see the holes like the ones in your pictures. For pictures, I have to pull the crust back apart to show the holes. What are you using that seems to leave the holes perfectly open?

Beautiful photos. Goes to show it is more the skill of the baker than the available equipment.

Thanks.

Bill/SFNM

Offline pizzanapoletana

« Reply #6 on: March 06, 2006, 03:35:02 PM »
Bill,

I have used just a regular roller cutter.

Ciao

Offline Bill/SFNM

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #7 on: March 06, 2006, 04:41:25 PM »
Marco, thanks. I guess I'll be sharpening my cutter. It does seem a little dull.

Bill/SFNM

Offline David

• What’s So Funny ‘Bout Pizza Love and Understanding
« Reply #8 on: March 06, 2006, 11:50:09 PM »
Wow! In a different league :o.............
If you're looking for a date... go to the Supermarket.If you're looking for a wife....go to the Farmers market

Offline Wazza McG

• Aussie Aussie Aussie .... Oi Oi Oi !!
« Reply #9 on: March 07, 2006, 04:00:49 AM »
Those varying voids is something I have been trying to achieve for some time in a poolish recipe - well done, the side on views look great - as well as the pizzas.

Regrads,

Wazza McG
Fair Dinkum - you want more Pizza!  Crikey ! I've run out out them prawny thingymebobs again!

Offline Bill/SFNM

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #10 on: March 07, 2006, 01:50:58 PM »
Those varying voids is something I have been trying to achieve for some time in a poolish recipe - well done, the side on views look great - as well as the pizzas.

Wazza,

I'm sure Marco can give you much better info than I can, but I've found 2 factors most important in the formation of "varying voids" in Neapolitan-style pies. First, it has been my experience that the more hydrated the dough, the more irregular air spaces will be formed. And the lower the mass of the toppings, the larger the voids that will form in the crust under the toppings. I have to fight my natural tendency to overload with toppings. Less is more, much more IMHO.

Bill/SFNM

Offline AKSteve

• Lifetime Member
  • We are all made from the same dough.
« Reply #11 on: March 07, 2006, 05:15:00 PM »
Bill, I don't know if they're sold separately, but the All-Clad pizza wheel that comes in this set is razor sharp: http://www.cutleryandmore.com/details.asp?SKU=5211&src=Froogle&cam=Products&kw=5211

When I first took it out of it's packaging, I clumsily sliced into the side of my hand with it. And it sliced in pretty deep, too. That pizza wheel is sharper than any knife I own.

Steve

Offline sumeri

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #12 on: March 07, 2006, 07:38:30 PM »
I agree that the hydration and how "morbido" the dough is is a big factor in the beautiful bubbles you see in Marco's Marinaras, but the temp and quality of the oven is also a very big part of it.  If you were to put Marco's best dough in a bad oven that is not the right temp it would not produce those bubbles.  He obviously cooked that pizza in very good oven at a high temp....not to take anything away from his dough :chef:

Offline pizzanapoletana

« Reply #13 on: March 08, 2006, 10:34:02 AM »
Sumeri,

The oven is actually not very good and that is why the owner has ordered a proper one to replace it. It was an headache to cook a pizza properly and I had to use all my skills (using a poor oven, poor mixer etc..). It can be done with one pizza at the time but it is not operational when you have to bake many more pizza. A proper oven will cook properly in 30-45 seconds 5-6 pizza at the time with no effort from the pizzamker/oven worker...

Regarding the topping weight, it is NOT a factor. A proper dough will have those bubbles even with a capricciosa topping.

Ciao

Offline PizzaBrewer

• Supporting Member
  • Location: Relocating my brewpub/pizzeria within NE Pennsylvania...
  • Seasoned pro Brewer, intermediate pro Pizzamaker
« Reply #14 on: March 08, 2006, 11:13:13 AM »
Marco:  WHERE is this pizza?  I want some!

Are you in the NY area yet?

---Guy
Man does not live by bread alone.  There's also tomato, cheese and pepperoni.

Offline sumeri

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #15 on: March 08, 2006, 12:56:54 PM »
Sumeri,

It was an headache to cook a pizza properly and I had to use all my skills (using a poor oven, poor mixer etc..). It can be done with one pizza at the time but it is not operational when you have to bake many more pizza. A proper oven will cook properly in 30-45 seconds 5-6 pizza at the time with no effort from the pizzamker/oven worker...

Sad to say I know I exactly what you are talking about.

Offline Bill/SFNM

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #16 on: March 08, 2006, 01:51:12 PM »

Regarding the topping weight, it is NOT a factor. A proper dough will have those bubbles even with a capricciosa topping.

Marco, do you have any idea what I might need to change so that topping is not a factor. The edges always get very puffy, but if I put on too much topping, there is little puffing underneath the topping. Now that I think about it, this seems to be more of a problem with doughs that I have let retard for a few days in the refrigerator. I'll go back to slow room temp rises and see if that affects this problem. Thanks.

Bill/SFNM

Offline pizzanapoletana

« Reply #17 on: March 23, 2006, 08:01:46 PM »
I was browsing through the pictures I took in US and found the following interesting example of a pizza I cooked at a lower temperature then I like and used an American made fior di latte that has been recently talk about on this forum.

The fior di latte itself has a good taste but unfortunately the moisture content is too low and if the oven is not at the optimum temp, the cheese bubbles off
« Last Edit: March 23, 2006, 08:03:44 PM by pizzanapoletana »

Offline Elior

« Reply #18 on: March 27, 2006, 03:23:40 PM »
pizzanapoletana,

What is the hydration level in the last picture ?(i assume v.high)

Offline abc

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #19 on: June 02, 2006, 11:36:06 PM »
I was browsing through the pictures I took in US and found the following interesting example of a pizza I cooked at a lower temperature then I like and used an American made fior di latte that has been recently talk about on this forum.

The fior di latte itself has a good taste but unfortunately the moisture content is too low and if the oven is not at the optimum temp, the cheese bubbles off

hello... what do you mean the cheese bubbles off...  is the fresh mozz not supposed to melt the way they did in that pic, you feel?

pizzapan