Author Topic: Carfagna's in Columbus  (Read 577 times)

Offline PescaraGreg

• I Love Pizza!
Carfagna's in Columbus
« on: October 20, 2013, 04:07:16 PM »
Stopped at Carfagna's today and got the 00 flour for $6 and the 6n1 for $2. I figure that's about as good as I'm going to do at retail and and without buying in bulk.

Offline Aimless Ryan

• Snarky
Re: Carfagna's in Columbus
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2013, 06:36:17 PM »
Carfagna's is awesome when it comes to tomato product. With all the tomato products they carry, I hope you end up buying more than just a 28 oz can of 6 IN 1. They carry almost every Stanislaus product worth buying, and for reasonable prices. I've bought (or seen) Alta Cucina, Saporito Filetto di Pomodoro, Tomato Magic, 7/11, Full-Red pizza sauce (which is labeled "concentrated crushed" in our area), Saporito pizza sauce (maybe), Superdolce pizza sauce, Full-Red puree, Saporito puree (maybe), as well as some of Stanislaus's "speed scratch" and ready-to-serve products. If you want to try 7/11, get one of those cans ASAP. They usually don't carry it, but the dude ordered a case a few months ago just because I asked if they ever carry it. (I bought two cans, then ended up buying a case from a distributor.) And as you may know, the Stanislaus products only constitute about 5-10% of their canned tomato product selection.

The sliced pepperoni they sell in the deli is very good, but the price is ridiculous if you buy much of it ($7.99 a pound). They also sell Polly-O mozzarella in the deli, which is nice aside from the fact that they charge $7 or $8 a pound for it, even if you buy a whole loaf or two. (Since I can get single loaves of decent mozzarella at GFS for $2.50 a pound, it didn't take long for me to decide that the Carfagna's cheese price is ridiculous.)

The one thing Carfagna's sells that I've really come to appreciate is their sausage. Even though I've never liked sausage much, you gotta put sausage on deep dish. Their mild sausage and their Grandpa Carfagna sausage (with fennel) work real good with deep dish. It would be nice to be able to buy the sausage in bulk, rather than as links, but it's not much trouble to take it out of the casings.

Offline dineomite

« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2013, 09:47:49 PM »
If you're interested, I picked up some Giusto's 00 flour at Weiland's (over on Indianola) about a month ago. It's the only time I've seen that stuff in Ohio. By no means cheap, but I figured what the heck. ;D

http://giustos.com/home_baker/flours/specialty-flours/organic-00-unbleached-flour.html

Offline PescaraGreg

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2013, 10:35:09 AM »
I have to admit, Ryan, I was at Carfagna's on another "mission" so-to-speak and my GF had to point out the 00 flour to me.  When I got to the tomato products I was a bit overwhelmed and couldn't focus.   :-D  Luckily the 6 in 1 jumped out at me.  I'll be headed back there later this week, per the GF, to pick up some chicken, etc, so I will grab  some more tomato products.  You probably mentioned it in your post, but I particularly want to see if they have the scratch from the can/ready from the can products I've read so much about here.

FWIW, I have a batch going in the bread machine (dough setting) right now:  3C 00, 1C Bread flour, 1t each salt/sugar/yeast and 1.5C water.  It already looks tremendous and it's still kneading.

Can't wait!!

-Greg

Offline Aimless Ryan

• Snarky
« Reply #4 on: October 21, 2013, 12:03:34 PM »
I must admit that most of their huge tomato selection has become pretty useless to me. I used to be a regular user of La Valle whole "San Marzano" tomatoes (yellowish can), beginning maybe ten years ago, when my pizza repertoire was strictly pseudo-NY style. In the last year or two, though, I've realized that it's mostly pointless to start out with whole tomatoes for pizza sauce. 7/11 straight out of the can is perfect for NY style, with little or nothing added to it. (7/11 is the counterpart of 6 IN 1 with tomato peels.) 7/11 also works well for deep dish and Giordano's style stuffed pizza, although Tomato Magic is surely more appropriate for those two styles. (Tomato Magic is the counterpart of 6 IN 1 without peels.)

For Tommy's/Shakey's style sauce (or any other sauce made from concentrated tomato product), I've had good results with one or two of the Stanislaus pizza sauces. (Can't remember which right now. I think I mentioned it in the Tommy's thread, though.) Even though it's basically paste, the Full-Red pizza sauce (or concentrated crushed) tastes much better than anything I've ever had that was labeled "tomato paste."

I can't remember ever noticing any special/repackaged flours at Carfagna's. (Or maybe I have noticed but just never cared.) Was it in the same aisle as the tomatoes?

Offline PescaraGreg

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #5 on: October 21, 2013, 12:40:47 PM »
Thanks for the insight, Ryan, I really appreciate the help.

As for where the flour was, I will have to say it was either in the same aisle (75% sure it was, just on the opposite side from the tomatoes and on the lowest shelf towards the meat counter) or it was on the aisle either side of the tomato products.

I was a little disoriented having not been in there in 20+ years and trying to take in all the changes as well as trying to see what all they had otherwise.  When I go back later this week I will pay much closer attention and try to bring back a little more complete report.

pizzapan