Author Topic: A Very Different Result.... I like it  (Read 464 times)

Offline mitchjg

• Supporting Member
A Very Different Result.... I like it
« on: October 20, 2013, 09:59:58 PM »
This weekend's experiment (maybe I will never settle down) was 3 doughs @ 178 grams each, designed for 10 inch pies at .08 thickness factor.

I prepared them with 60% hydration, 2.8% salt, 50/50 KAAP/GM Neapolitan Hearth Flour.  1.5% Ischia to ferment at room temperature for 29 hours.  Baked at about 700 to 750, about 2 1/2 minutes each,  in my WFO.

What was different?  - the introduction of KAAP.  In the 700s, I have been using 70% KABF / 30% 00 (or the GM).  Also, I decided to stretch the pies out further to about 11 inches.  That brought the thickness factor way down, to well below .07.  The dough was handling so well, I decided to go for it.

I have never achieved a crust that was so thin with an eggshell like crust but soft inside.  And, the holes were mega.  In fact, the holes were so big, I think some will tell me it was a defect.

Next week, I think I will do the same dough, perhaps a tad thicker.  Really happy with it. 

Criticism, suggestions, etc. welcome.

The pie - fresh tomatoes and basil salad with TJ's mozzarella.
One slice had a tunnel all the way through (well, all the way after a small bite).
Three slice sample.

Thanks in advance - Mitch

Offline Jackitup

Re: A Very Different Result.... I like it
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2013, 10:13:32 PM »
Nothing to criticize from what I see!!

jon
Save A Cow, Eat A Vegan....Totally Organic And Hormone Free!!

Offline chickenparm

• Oh No,Not Pizza Again!!!
« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2013, 05:50:44 PM »
Perfection.Eat it and enjoy it every time!
 :pizza:
-Bill

Offline stupidhaiku

« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2013, 10:26:49 PM »
Looks absolutely delicious!  I've always been curious as to what the results with my own pizzas would be using KAAP vs KABF, particularly since KAAP has a higher gluten content than most of the other AP flours and wondered if the slightly lowered gluten content would allow for more kneading hence a smoother but still tender crumb.  Did you find this to be the case?  Your results have inspired me to move that experiment higher up the list.  I also love much thinner pies than is typical, though I'm still trying to master .09 TF and have thus far been afraid to do lower.  One question: is the high salt content for retarding yeast action for the long room temp ferment or for some other reason?  I usually won't go above 1.5 just due to my own taste.

Looks great though!
-Mike (one of them, anyway)

Offline mitchjg

• Supporting Member
« Reply #4 on: October 23, 2013, 08:58:21 AM »
Thanks Guys.  I have been going at it for over 2 years now and have come a long way.  Much improvement ahead, I hope.

Mike: I did not notice any need for more kneading.  These pies were mixed using the approach outlined by Jeff Varasano.  One minute mix with 75% of the flour and all other ingredients.  Rest 20 minutes.  Mixed with the dough hook on a low speed for about 10 minute and gradually added the rest of the flour after minute 5.  Waited 15 minutes and hand kneaded very briefly.

If I noticed any difference from the past, the dough was more extensible and easier to stretch.  So many variables, hard to pin down the cause.

Bulk rise (convenience timing) for about 7 hours and then balled it up.  Additional room temperature rise for 24 hours.

On the salt, yes, that is why - to keep the fermentation (natural starter) at a good pace and without going wild - following the guidance of the many experts here.

Good luck. 

pizzapan