Author Topic: IDY in a Mason jar in the fridge......  (Read 1208 times)

Offline Jackitup

IDY in a Mason jar in the fridge......
« on: October 21, 2013, 06:39:37 PM »
To resurrect an old topic (I couldn't find the exact thread) here's my yeast from almost 2 years ago and today. I've used about 1/4-1/3 of it so far and it is as active as day one. This is JUST in the fridge NOT the freezer. So for those that are fairly new here, this is the way I've kept my yeast for 20+ years and it is in my mind as good as any, and better than most.

jon
Save A Cow, Eat A Vegan....Totally Organic And Hormone Free!!

Offline mkevenson

• Lifetime Member
  • Roos! Protector of Fowl
Re: IDY in a Mason jar in the fridge......
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2013, 06:59:55 PM »
Thank's Jon. I also keep mine in the jar I bought it in, in the fridge. But 20 YEARS :o !!! good as the day it was bought! WOW ;D

Mark
"Gettin' better all the time" Beatles

Offline Jackitup

« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2013, 07:14:22 PM »
No, almost 2 years......this the WAY I've been dong it for 20+ years ;D

jon

Offline chasenpse

• Supporting Member
    • Battle Hill Media
« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2013, 07:20:02 PM »
I too leave my starter in a mason jar in the fridge, once a week I'll remove it and bring it to room temp. before discarding and feeding, and back in it goes. Great way to keep your starter if you don't bake regularly. I find keeping the lid slightly unscrewed helps, I've read stories of people feeding their already pretty full jars of starter and sealing them tight, only to open them hours later and accidentally redecorating their kitchen :-D
If Tetris has taught me anything, itís that errors pile up and accomplishments disappear.

Offline Jackitup

« Reply #4 on: October 21, 2013, 07:26:36 PM »

Offline chasenpse

• Supporting Member
    • Battle Hill Media
« Reply #5 on: October 21, 2013, 07:34:41 PM »
Are those wine aerators?
If Tetris has taught me anything, itís that errors pile up and accomplishments disappear.

Offline Jackitup

« Reply #6 on: October 21, 2013, 07:51:38 PM »
fermenter caps, for wine making, beer, fermenting veggies, kraut etc, etc.......

jon

Offline Jackitup

« Reply #7 on: October 21, 2013, 07:52:59 PM »
Oh, and they are one way water sealed, but that's obvious I guess

Offline theppgcowboy

« Reply #8 on: October 29, 2013, 11:26:34 PM »
How do you measure it?  1.5g is different than out of the package.  Have you tried this with cy?

Offline stringtyer

• Does 00 mean anything.
« Reply #9 on: January 14, 2014, 05:51:06 PM »
I keep mine in a quart jar in the freezer.  Keeps well for at least two years.  Before use, I sanitize the jar (StarSan from beer brewing), rinse it thoroughly in hot water, and dry it in the oven.  When the jar cools, I put the yeast in it and store it in the freezer.
Today we get another trip around the circle,
let's try to make this one better than the last.

Offline Jackitup

« Reply #10 on: January 14, 2014, 06:06:08 PM »
2 years and and 4 days, I used maybe 1/2 of it, 'it dead til it won't rise and dead'!!

jon

Offline Tampa

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #11 on: January 15, 2014, 08:49:49 AM »
Jon,
Do you feed the IDY (like Ischia), or just leave it in the fridge?
Dave

Offline Jackitup

« Reply #12 on: January 15, 2014, 09:46:15 AM »
keep cold and sealed in a mason jar

jon

Online Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #13 on: January 15, 2014, 10:29:40 AM »
As discussed under Working with Instant Yeast/Stability in this Lallemand article, at http://www.lallemand.com/BakerYeastNA/eng/PDFs/LBU%20PDF%20FILES/2_9INST.PDF, instant dry yeast (and I suppose ADY as well) loses some of its operational performance over time due to prolonged storage. For this reason, Lallemand, and other yeast producers as well, suggest that the storage of dry yeasts be kept to certain minimums depending on how the yeast is stored, that is, at room temperature, in the refrigerator/cooler or the freezer. Since I know that dry yeast will lose some of its operational performance with time (I keep mine store in a sealed container in my refrigerator freezer compartment), my practice is to use a bit more yeast than called for by my dough recipe of formulation. In a home setting, we have a lot more flexibility as to how we store and use dry yeasts but if I were a commercial pizza operator, for the sake of uniformity and consistency of the end product I would be much more inclined to follow the recommendations of the yeast producers.

Peter

Offline misterschu

« Reply #14 on: January 15, 2014, 11:23:19 AM »
I'm a bit confused by this thread. 

Jon, your IDY yeast is dry in the jar, correct? 

Two people above have related/asked about Sourdough, but you haven't mentioned that your IDY is dry.

Offline andyt

« Reply #15 on: January 15, 2014, 12:16:54 PM »
I used to buy Fleischman IDY in the one pound package and store it, well sealed in the freezer.  I used it once a week and it would keep well for over a year.

In the Fall of 2012, because of this website, I decided to try new approaches to my crust.  Every Friday night, the crust was blah, the family looked at me and said "Why don't you go back to the original crust?"  I even tried that again and blah!  This went on for two months, it was terrible.

Got involved in one thread here about yeast and posted my problems.  Chicago Bob posted and said "Why don't you go  to the grocery store and buy a single packet and try it to see if it works".  I did and everything was back to normal, the crust flavor and texture was back etc.  The family was happy.

I subsequently used the yeast from the freezer, it rose as it should but the crust it made was terrible.  Obviously the IDY somehow became contaminated in the freezer.  I now buy the Fleischman IDY in 113g jar for $5+, very expensive but pizza is too important to take chances.

One possible source of the contamination could be my winemaking in the basement, yeast and malo-lactic cultures are involved and this goes back 24 years, the house must be infested with yeast cultures.  I am currently fermenting a premium California Cabernet Sauvignon we picked up frozen, last week, from M&M in Hartford CT.  I doubt the pizza will taste like Calif Cab

Still think Chicago Bob is a genius, thanks again Bob.

andyt

Offline Jackitup

« Reply #16 on: January 15, 2014, 06:32:54 PM »
I'm a bit confused by this thread. 

Jon, your IDY yeast is dry in the jar, correct? 

Two people above have related/asked about Sourdough, but you haven't mentioned that your IDY is dry.

It is 'dry' IDY like is represented in the title thread. I open it, use what I need and back in the fridge.

jon

Offline Tampa

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #17 on: January 16, 2014, 09:39:58 AM »
Sorry for the confusion, I've got exactly the same mason jar in the fridge -  except with sourdough in it - and when viewed from the angle in the first picture, they look very similar.

Peter - thanks for adding the background.

Andyt - my experience is similar to yours with aged IDY - toss it.  Also, I do love your genius story about ChicagoBob.  He doesn't look that smart in the picture, but his comments have has helped me many times.

Dave

pizzapan