Author Topic: neapolitan dough recipe  (Read 3042 times)

Offline pizapizza

• I Love Pizza!
neapolitan dough recipe
« on: October 21, 2013, 08:18:13 PM »
hey guys,
ive been lurking around here for a while doing some reading and I'm trying to figure out a dough recipe. I'm going to have access to a large outdoor brick oven soon and I'm still a little confused. Where I'm confused is the yeast and fermentation. i watched a few roberto caporuscio videos and i believe he uses fresh yeast but its seems like most on here dont use that type of yeast. From what ive gathered it seems like 48 hours is a good bulk period but I'm not sure if it would be better to do 24 in the refrigerator then 24 at room temp? ive seen people on here say that it will allow the dough to be easier to work with

any help would be appreciated,
thanks

Offline f.montoya

Re: neapolitan dough recipe
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2013, 09:54:11 AM »
I posted something on yeast and fermentation periods here: http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,28186.0.html

But I would like to welcome you to the wonderful world of Neapolitan Pizza!! Let me just warn you that it is both hard and easy. It has taken me over six hundred and fifty pies in my WFO to dial in at least 4 recipes that I need depending on the season, humidity and my room and outdoor  temperature. While I'm still experimenting, I at least have my "go-to" plans in place when I need them. There is no "magic" recipe but there are fantastic places to start. TX Craig's is a little advanced for a beginner but it's something you should eventually try, but it requires you to keep the dough very, very cool but NOT cold. If you are just starting out, go with a longer ferment with IDY in your fridge. Then ball and monitor your doughball's texture each hour so you can find the sweet spot for when it's easiest to work with and gives you the best final product. This could be anywhere between 4 hours to 8 hours, and Craig likes to go 12.

The hard part is getting practice and dialing in the specifics. The easy part is that, if you keep notes and measure everything, you'll be able to replicate your best results without any problems.

Wish you luck and look forward to seeing some pics of your first pies!  :)

Offline pizapizza

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2013, 02:12:32 PM »
without much success, i finally made my first neapolitan dough with some left over granoro. i let it ferment for 24 hrs then attempted to ball it and let it sit for another 24 hours. the dough was way too sticky. Ended up cooking one of the dough balls for the heck of it after 60 hours and it actually didnt taste to bad but it was too sticky to really stretch. Not sure what went wrong but i would appreciate some advice.
Flour (100%):    376.82 g  |  13.29 oz | 0.83 lbs
Water (63%):    237.4 g  |  8.37 oz | 0.52 lbs
IDY (.016%):    0.06 g | 0 oz | 0 lbs | 0.02 tsp | 0.01 tbsp
Salt (2.5%):    9.42 g | 0.33 oz | 0.02 lbs | 1.96 tsp | 0.65 tbsp
Total (165.516%):   623.7 g | 22 oz | 1.38 lbs | TF = N/A
Single Ball:   311.85 g | 11 oz | 0.69 lbs

Offline shuboyje

« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2013, 08:49:53 PM »
63% hydration with a 00 flour can be pretty wet.  Try dialing down to 60% and see how that works.  If it is one of the softer 00 flours you may need to go even lower until you get a hang of it.

What size pie are you making with the 311g ball?  That pretty huge in the neapolitan realm, something in the 250g range would be more the norm for the style.
-Jeff

Offline pizapizza

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #4 on: December 11, 2013, 03:14:29 PM »
thanks i'll give that try. i wasnt really concerned with the size, since it was my first time i was just trying to focus on the percentages and fermentation time, but thanks for the advice.

Offline JConk007

• Vendor
  • Lovin my Oven!
    • Flirting with Fire
« Reply #5 on: December 11, 2013, 05:50:17 PM »
I remeber saying wow ! theres something wrong with this dough ? on first few neo attempts. It IS sticky- and Messy and soft like something I never saw, but eventually what I wanted Start lower around 60% and work your way up.
Try to work with it, and keep practicing,  and reading the 4278 pages of info on this site about Neapolitan recipes it will help  ;)
John
I Love to Flirt with Fire! www.flirtingwithfirepizza.com

Offline pizapizza

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #6 on: December 11, 2013, 10:05:59 PM »
I remeber saying wow ! theres something wrong with this dough ? on first few neo attempts. It IS sticky- and Messy and soft like something I never saw, but eventually what I wanted Start lower around 60% and work your way up.
Try to work with it, and keep practicing,  and reading the 4278 pages of info on this site about Neapolitan recipes it will help  ;)
John
thanks i love checking up on your thread

Offline pizapizza

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #7 on: April 15, 2014, 02:05:20 PM »
ok so ive been back at it recently.. ive been doing 24 hrs bulk then ball them and let them sit for another 24..what ive found is that they expand alot after i ball them and they loose their shape…too much yeast?

Offline pizapizza

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #8 on: May 07, 2014, 01:32:58 PM »
lowered the amount of yeast(my scale doesnt read that low so i have to eyeball it) and i've been getting better results, but the balls never seem to hold their shape and always seem to be wetter than after i knead the dough. Ive tried kneading longer but i think i might need to knead for longer? any thoughts?  ive been doing 60% hydration

Offline valhalla

« Reply #9 on: July 22, 2014, 12:34:52 PM »
Could you provide a bit more detail on how you are building strength in your dough? All by hand, or are you using a mixer? Are you incorporating stretch-and-fold(s) in you workflow?

Offline Gosseni

« Reply #10 on: July 22, 2014, 06:37:00 PM »
Read Craig's process. Pretty much all you need. You will instantly create better Pizza than they do in Naples providing you have the correct oven.

Offline drogus

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #11 on: July 26, 2014, 06:47:30 PM »
ok so ive been back at it recently.. ive been doing 24 hrs bulk then ball them and let them sit for another 24..what ive found is that they expand alot after i ball them and they loose their shape…too much yeast?

A few photos of the dough would be great, it would be easier to tell.

Expand a lot meaning risen? Or just expand to the sides and loose the ball shape?

pizzapan