Author Topic: The Daily Meal's 101 Best Pizza List  (Read 2047 times)

Offline derricktung

The Daily Meal's 101 Best Pizza List
« on: October 23, 2013, 02:26:08 PM »
Not a bad list!

http://slice.seriouseats.com/archives/2013/10/the-daily-meals-101-best-american-pizzas.html

I don't know that I agree with the order, and there may be a few places left off (Zuppardi's still has a much stronger clam pie compared to Frank Pepe's in our experience), but overall, it's got some pretty fair highlights and takes into account different styles. 

Sorry Craig... I know you hate these things.   >:D

Online scott123

Re: The Daily Meal's 101 Best Pizza List
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2013, 03:05:05 PM »
How long has Pizza Delicious been open for?  I know the kickstarter campaign gave them a lot of press, but I don't think they should be showing up on a best pizza list for at least a year.  For what it's worth, though, the pie they have pictured looks excellent- which is something I can't say for most of the other places.  From the slice review, they seemed to have been having oven balance issues, so, even though the top looks fantastic, I can't help wonder about the upskirt.

This panel included 46 American chefs, restaurant critics, bloggers, writers, and pizza authorities, most of whom — other than Thrillist's Adam Robb, Jason Feirman of IDreamOfPizza, Peter Reinhart of PizzaQuest.com, Marc Horowitz of HiddenBoston.com, and Nicole Danna, a food blogger for Clean Plate Charlie — preferred to remain anonymous.

Based on this list, I'll bet any amount of money that Adam Kuban was part of this. Not that that's bad (I don't think anyone is better qualified), but some of these have his name written all over them.  In fact, some of them are places that only he's written about (such as Santillos).

Mal

« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2013, 03:57:37 PM »
How long has Pizza Delicious been open for?  I know the kickstarter campaign gave them a lot of press, but I don't think they should be showing up on a best pizza list for at least a year.  For what it's worth, though, the pie they have pictured looks excellent- which is something I can't say for most of the other places.  From the slice review, they seemed to have been having oven balance issues, so, even though the top looks fantastic, I can't help wonder about the upskirt.

Based on this list, I'll bet any amount of money that Adam Kuban was part of this. Not that that's bad (I don't think anyone is better qualified), but some of these have his name written all over them.  In fact, some of them are places that only he's written about (such as Santillos).

The Santillos recommendation could just as easily have come from Alan Richman who wrote about the pizzeria for GQ in 2010.
edit: link to the article - http://www.gq.com/blogs/the-q/2010/04/the-far-side-of-the-hudson.html
He also compiled  this controversial "best" 25 pizzeria list in 2009.
« Last Edit: October 23, 2013, 04:05:33 PM by Mal »

Online scott123

« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2013, 04:22:36 PM »
If Alan had participated, then, sure, he might have included Santillos, but Alan Richman preferring to remain anonymous?  Alan Richman?  ;D

Offline akuban

• Crusty, saucy, cheesy
    • Margot's Pizza
« Reply #4 on: November 11, 2013, 02:19:16 PM »

Late to the party here but wanted to respond.

Nope. They never asked me to contribute to/advise on this list. I don't think the folks at the The Daily Meal like me very much. HAHAHAHA. I have that effect on people.

I don't often participate in these kinds of panels/lists -- if I do, like when Eater.com did one -- then I want to know the methodology and whether it's a ranked list or not. With Eater, the list was "Essential 38 Pizzas." It's splitting hairs, I suppose, but I took that to be "essential" rather than BEST. To me, I know that many Pizzamaking members hate Di Fara. I like it, I don't think it's THE BEST, but do I think it's ESSENTIAL? At this point, YES, absolutely. If only to be able to converse about it, etc. So that is why I participated on the Eater.com list but why I would shy away from a ranked list a la The Daily Meal list (even if I were asked).

As for some of the places having "my name written all over them," well, that might be explained by Slice. It tends to come up high in Google searches for pizza, and for better or worse it is well-read among the editors of websites such as The Daily Meal, Eater, etc. If I wrote about it on Slice, I am not surprised to see it turn up elsewhere. I do not claim to have "discovered" any of the places—as Mal points out, Alan Richman was writing about Santillo's long before I was, and someone may have written about it before he did. I am like many a lazy journalist. I get a tip, I check it out, sometimes I'm disappointed, sometimes I'm surprised. But I am under no illusion I'm discovering anything new, particularly a place that's been around for half a century or more.
ˇHasta la pizza!

Online scott123

« Reply #5 on: November 11, 2013, 02:36:10 PM »
Fair enough. I stand corrected ;D

Offline akuban

• Crusty, saucy, cheesy
    • Margot's Pizza
« Reply #6 on: November 11, 2013, 03:07:32 PM »
Scott: Don't worry about it. I hope I didn't sound like a jerk. I think it's a reasonable assumption, given that I am/was A.) a pizza/food blogger and B.) have participated on panels like this before.

I have to admit that I hate/love these lists. They're often no more than click-bait (even ones I've done for Slice in the past), but at the same time they may have a place or three I haven't heard of or need a nudge to remember/go to. I take them with a grain of salt as far as "ranking" goes.
ˇHasta la pizza!

Online scott123

« Reply #7 on: November 11, 2013, 05:14:52 PM »
Adam, I think it would be pretty much impossible for you to sound like a jerk. Me, though, that's another story ;D

I love/hate these lists as well.  I grew up in a culture where the bragging rights associated with these kinds of lists (then newspaper based) were highly coveted.  I'd like to say it was all in good fun, but there was nothing good natured about it- it was like war.  Jets and Sharks ;D  These intense rivalries encouraged a very high quality product.  Much like the actual pizzas, though, the lists eventually got chewed up, spit out and gentrified six ways to Sunday- until they're now a hollow shell of what they once were.

Back in the 80s, the two best places in town alternated best in county nods for about 4 years straight.  These were the undisputed best places for pizza and everyone knew it.  There were no arguments (other than between which of the two deserved the prize more), no duplicitousness on the part of the newspapers, no apathy, no rehashing the same names over and over again because some reviewer didn't want to get off his butt and taste the pizzas.  It was the purest form of merit and the recognition thereof. It was a simpler time.

This all being said.  If I ever open a place, making money will be a top priority, but making it on a national best of list has been/will always be a lifetime goal, regardless of how F'ed up they've become.

You LIKE me! You really LIKE me!  :-D
« Last Edit: November 11, 2013, 05:21:46 PM by scott123 »

Offline Chaze215

« Reply #8 on: November 11, 2013, 06:03:44 PM »
Scott, I told you that you need to hit DeNino's. I know some people love these lists and others hate them. However, they are still 20 something if I recall correctly. Like you, if I did ever open a place, I would LOVE to be on a list like this! Stay tuned...
Chaz

Offline gabaghool

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #9 on: November 13, 2013, 09:18:23 AM »
Anyone remember an older blog written by a NYC lawyer...I think it was under the name something like..."the fat guy" or something to that effect.

He loved DeNino's ...I believe he listed it as the number one pizza place in NYC.....but that was a decade ago.

Online Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #10 on: November 13, 2013, 09:46:42 AM »
Anyone remember an older blog written by a NYC lawyer...I think it was under the name something like..."the fat guy" or something to that effect.
Nick,

You are thinking of Stephen Shaw, a co-founder (along with Jason Perlow) of eGulllet, and who went by the name of Fat Guy. I believe he left eGullet sometime in 2012. Perlow left some time before that.

Peter

Offline gabaghool

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #11 on: November 17, 2013, 09:15:02 AM »
Pete
Yeah...that's him.    A long time ago....way before they became a hot trend, he had two long posts on
THE BEST PIZZA IN NYC and THE BEST HAMBURGER IN NYC...they were great reads...I'd love to find them again, and check out who the main players were years ago.