Author Topic: test video  (Read 1707 times)

Offline waltertore

• Vendor
    • The Smiling With Hope Bakery
test video
« on: October 23, 2013, 07:44:54 PM »
I got a good video today and am loading it as I type- Paige and I take turns making pies.  Walter

« Last Edit: October 25, 2013, 06:19:46 AM by waltertore »

Offline waltertore

• Vendor
Re: test video
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2013, 07:52:12 PM »
will be a new one soon
« Last Edit: October 24, 2013, 05:26:42 PM by waltertore »

Offline waltertore

• Vendor
« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2013, 08:08:47 PM »
loading new one soon
« Last Edit: October 24, 2013, 05:27:09 PM by waltertore »

Offline Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2013, 08:15:57 PM »
Walter,

Thank you for posting the videos and how you open up a dough ball to form a skin.

Out of curiosity, do you ever make the same dough at home using a stand mixer and, if so, how would a dough ball made at home perform compared with the dough balls you make at work?

Peter

Offline waltertore

• Vendor
« Reply #4 on: October 23, 2013, 08:26:38 PM »
Walter,

Thank you for posting the videos and how you open up a dough ball to form a skin.

Out of curiosity, do you ever make the same dough at home using a stand mixer and, if so, how would a dough ball made at home perform compared with the dough balls you make at work?

Peter

Hi Peter:  I do make the same dough at home during summer, winter, vacations.  I either knead by hand at home or use a bosh mixer.  I think they are the same as using the hobart.  It is just my wife and I at home an our fridge is brand new state of the art.  It keeps things nice and cool.  At school I have 1 fridge pretty much dedicated to dough boxes and it is rarely opened.  I should get a better video tomorrow.  This was a test.  I didn't even know how to turn the video function on.  My students are all cognitively delayed and they were no better versed than me.  I filmed the class all working at various stations on different things today.  When I played it back all I got was a single picture.  I think I have it figured out now.  Thanks.  Walter
« Last Edit: October 23, 2013, 08:31:16 PM by waltertore »

Offline waltertore

• Vendor
« Reply #5 on: October 24, 2013, 11:55:41 AM »
We got it today!  Paige made one and I made one.  No camera problems and all relaxed.  I will post it when I get home.   Walter

Offline mkevenson

• Lifetime Member
  • Roos! Protector of Fowl
« Reply #6 on: October 24, 2013, 01:10:16 PM »
Walter, thanks for the video and trick photography, HA HA ;D

I am really interested in getting my dough to behave like those in your video.
I am sure that you have given the recipe and methods here, before, but could you direct us to the thread where it is listed.

Thanks again for all you do for your kids, your community and us, at the forum.

Mark
"Gettin' better all the time" Beatles

Offline waltertore

• Vendor
« Reply #7 on: October 24, 2013, 02:32:43 PM »
Walter, thanks for the video and trick photography, HA HA ;D

I am really interested in getting my dough to behave like those in your video.
I am sure that you have given the recipe and methods here, before, but could you direct us to the thread where it is listed.

Thanks again for all you do for your kids, your community and us, at the forum.

Mark

Hi Mark:  Thanks for the kind words!  We use either full strenght or all trumps, water, saf instant yeast, cool water.  It mixes for about 7 minutes, is balled, and then put to the fridge for 2-4 days on average.  Our batches are usually 20 dough balls @ 17 ounces each.  These stretch to an 18" pie. I take the boxes out 3.5 hours before use). The dough boxes hold the cold for longer than a plastic bag or tupperware container. Tossing is no problem but once the dough is at room temp it is easier to just hand stretch. It doesn't look as fancy but the results are the same.    When I make a small batch at home I eyeball it and hand knead so don't have exact numbers.  Here is our dough recipe.  Walter

Add water first.  I keep it on the cool side. I like the finished dough to be around 65-70 degrees

Flour 13 lbs
Water 8 lbs
Yeast just a hair shy of 2 tbsp 
Salt a full 1/4 cup

« Last Edit: October 24, 2013, 03:20:30 PM by waltertore »

Offline mkevenson

• Lifetime Member
  • Roos! Protector of Fowl
« Reply #8 on: October 24, 2013, 02:43:09 PM »
Thanks, Walter.
"Gettin' better all the time" Beatles

Offline waltertore

• Vendor
« Reply #9 on: October 24, 2013, 03:20:07 PM »
Thanks, Walter.

Mark:  You are welcome.  I gave the wrong salt amount.  It should have been 1 full 1/4 cup.  I was doing too many things at once.......  Walter

Offline waltertore

• Vendor
« Reply #10 on: October 25, 2013, 06:20:31 AM »
the videos are up on the first post.  Walter

Offline pythonic

• Pizza......its what's for dinner!
« Reply #11 on: October 25, 2013, 09:35:34 PM »
Nice vids Walter.  I like how relaxed that setting is you have over there.
If you can dodge a wrench you can dodge a ball.

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
    • learningknowledgetomakepizza
« Reply #12 on: October 25, 2013, 10:31:18 PM »
Walter,

I agree the videos are really good.

Norma
Always working and looking for new information!

Offline Serpentelli

• Supporting Member
    • Bat Man vs. The Penguin
« Reply #13 on: October 25, 2013, 10:41:14 PM »
Great videos Walter!

John K
I'm not wearing hockey pads!

Offline waltertore

• Vendor
« Reply #14 on: October 26, 2013, 07:47:11 AM »
thanks everyone.  I try to create a relaxed atmosphere that is still efficient. The students I work with process life so much slower than we do.  To move at a good pace with any kind of kaos in the process scrambles them to shutdown, mistakes, and injury.  Good vibes and a steady pace, like the rabbit vs. the haire, leads to a good result.  I try and train them to get into their own zone of zen and tune out the outside clutter.  Most every entry level job I have been around are full of never ending drama,clutter, and kaos of the mind and spirit.  This is ongoing in their personal lives and fueled in a kaotic workplace.   Normal intelligence people, who own/manage  also have this going on but are able to disconnect/overide it at the workplace due to their ability to think abstractly, but they often cannot contain stress of the job-money worries usually- and this creates kaos that spills down and it all ends up a mess. 

My kids do not think abstractly and most entry level work people don't think abstractly very well and thus there is never ending problems with finding and keeping good workers.  It never stops because the kaos in their employees lives is never contained in a little box that says "keep this at home".  My students have no "box" that they can leave at home like we do.  Thus the environment one creates for them is the reality they react to.  They literally live in the moment and a calm/positive workplace allows them to be the ultimate Buddist.  I learn a lot from them on this level.   

Most entry level workers are of a bit higher intelligence than my students.  They are able to create a "box" to leave the kaos at home but unfortunately their box has so many leaks in it  that it rarely stays at home for long.  Their low pay, impoverished lives, neglect, abuse, is an everyday thing for them and they can't tune it out like we can.  It takes a calm leader to run a calm ship. Most food places I have worked in were of this model and ran smoothly or of the kaos model (the norm it seems) and I quit on day one.  I worked at 2 small artisan bakeries (night shift) where I was the only employee. I baked, packaged, dishwashed, cleaned, and delivered the products at the end of my shift.  I loved being the only employee.  It was peaceful.   I learned a lot in the calm model and magically somehow my students are able to join with me and I still feel the peace of the alone model.  I never really found that in a workplace with normal intelligence people.  I have always been facinated with how the human spirit operates and my bakery/pizzeria is a byproduct of this passion.  Someday I would like to write a book about all this and the focus would be that we have an untapped national treasure in students like mine.  It would take a bit of reteaching business owners as to how and work with these people but once they got with it they would have hard working dedicated employees for life and the greatest byproduct, their Zen that naturally occurs in this process, is the fuel that keeps it going.  So there is no need to dump outside energy so to speak into the  machine. It is self winding  ;D  Walter
« Last Edit: October 26, 2013, 09:39:53 AM by waltertore »

Offline deb415611

• Supporting Member
« Reply #15 on: October 26, 2013, 07:59:15 AM »
awesome Walter

Paige is a pizza superstar  :chef:

Offline waltertore

• Vendor
« Reply #16 on: October 26, 2013, 08:15:27 AM »
awesome Walter

Paige is a pizza superstar  :chef:

thanks Deb!  I agree.  She had never been in a kitchen setting until she joined my class at the begining of last school year.  She lives with her grandparents and her grandmother doesn't let her in the kitchen.  If I ran just a straight pizza place, within 6 months she would be world class.  Walter

Offline wheelman

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #17 on: October 26, 2013, 11:24:08 PM »
Well done!  Thanks Walter
Bill

Offline waltertore

• Vendor
« Reply #18 on: October 28, 2013, 01:23:10 PM »
Tanks Bill.  The camera doesn't catch things right. I go light on cheese- enough to see sauce easily and it looks like I piled it on.  Also the colors are not representitive of the finished pie.  Anyway, what you gonna do.  Walter

Offline nybz

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #19 on: October 28, 2013, 02:01:12 PM »
Pizza looks wonderful, and what you do even better :)