Author Topic: Walmart tomato choices and basic sauce questions  (Read 1368 times)

Offline WarEagle09

• I Love Pizza!
Walmart tomato choices and basic sauce questions
« on: October 23, 2013, 09:49:28 PM »
Ok, here are the brand choices for crushed and puree tomatoes at my local Walmart:

1. Hunt's
2. Contadina
3. Tuttorosso
4. Great Value
5. Cento

All come in both crushed and puree, except for Cento, which only comes in crushed. Some (Hunt's, Contadina, and maybe Tuttorosso) sell whole peeled. All of the other ones usually have water and or some other ingredient in them, while the Cento can just says ~ "fresh vine ripe tomatoes". It is also the most expensive of all the choices at $1.78/can. I assume Cento is best option in terms of flavor? How do they compare to the 6-in1's everyone talks about? Where do the others rank? (Any other thoughts on these brands welcome)

Also, while I'm at it, a basic question: I assume crushed tomatoes should be strained to make most pizza sauces? Whereas the tomato puree does not need to be strained?

Thanks everyone for our help!

Offline stupidhaiku

Re: Walmart tomato choices and basic sauce questions
« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2013, 04:09:35 PM »
Hi WarEagle,

I personally don't think any of those is a great choice, though I know some members like Cento products and are probably your best bet if there is nothing else available.  The tough thing is everyone has different preferences.  Rather than relying on other's preferences, why not buy a can of each and taste them side by side?   You can stir the leftovers together in a big pot, add some herbs and sugar and salt and make a pot of pasta sauce.  :) 

Another option is to just order cans of 6-in-1s directly from Escalon.

As far as straining is concerned, I almost always strain crushed and would likely strain puree as well just because they are often a bit watery for me out of the can but again that's a preference thing.  Crushed is often packed in puree. 
-Mike (one of them, anyway)

Offline dmcavanagh

« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2014, 03:03:43 PM »
IMHO none of those you listed are in 6 in 1's league. Contadina and Tuttorosso are horrid, Cento packs several variations of crushed tomatoes, you aren't specific enough as to which ones you tried, and GV and Hunt's are ok in a pinch. Walmart used to stock Classico, which was essentially 6 in 1's in a different can (both from Heinz), but I believe they have been discountued as of late last year.

Offline jsaras

• Supporting Member
« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2014, 04:36:45 PM »
Wal-Mart's Great Value Crushed Tomatoes are excellent.  I don't miss my Classico tomatoes at all.  For $1.24/can you can't go wrong.
Things have never been more like today than they are right now.

Offline JD

• Supporting Member
« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2014, 05:08:57 PM »
Wal-Mart's Great Value Crushed Tomatoes are excellent.  I don't miss my Classico tomatoes at all.  For $1.24/can you can't go wrong.

Can anyone else confirm this? I ran out of Pastene and my local selection is very limited. Best I could find is Cento Italian Style, or muir glen organic crushed, although neither are all that great IMO.
Josh

Offline jsaras

• Supporting Member
« Reply #5 on: January 21, 2014, 10:24:03 AM »
Lydia likes Great Value Tomatoes as well: http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,29019.0.html

Offline JD

• Supporting Member
« Reply #6 on: January 21, 2014, 12:55:35 PM »
Lydia likes Great Value Tomatoes as well: http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,29019.0.html

Thanks, I'll check them out along with the Kroger brand. Certainly cheap enough for an experiment.

I bought the GV "sauce" about a month ago, and it was probably the worst thing I've ever tasted. It's likely the sauce and the crushed tomatoes come from two completely separate suppliers though.
Josh

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
    • learningknowledgetomakepizza
« Reply #7 on: January 21, 2014, 01:01:29 PM »
I also like Walmart's Great Value tomato products.  If interested, it can be seen where I recreated the sauce I used to make with Walmart's Great Value tomato products at Reply 2 http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,9744.msg85554.html#msg85554 

I have also used the Walmart crushed tomatoes in Les's sweet sauce at Reply 66 http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,11539.msg117254.html#msg117254 and also use the Walmart crushed tomatoes on other pizzas.

Norma
Always working and looking for new information!

Offline dmcavanagh

« Reply #8 on: January 21, 2014, 04:58:04 PM »
why don't people who want to know what certain tomatoes taste like, go out and buy a can and try them for themselves. There are dozens of threads concerning tomatoes, seems as though people love and/or hate EVERY brand known to exist. Everyone's tastes are different, and nowhere is that more evident then in comparisons of tomatoes. I will never again reply to  a question in regard to tomatoes, every man/woman for themself! >:D

Offline jsaras

• Supporting Member
« Reply #9 on: January 21, 2014, 08:52:18 PM »
If it's good enough for Norma then it's certainly good enough for me!

Offline waynesize

« Reply #10 on: January 21, 2014, 09:36:57 PM »
I prefer 6 in 1, and when ordered direct, they are not pricey. That being said, I have used Great Value, and they are not bad.  They no longer offer the one I really liked, it was "Crushed in heavy concentrate" or something to that affect.

Offline JD

• Supporting Member
« Reply #11 on: January 21, 2014, 09:37:37 PM »
why don't people who want to know what certain tomatoes taste like, go out and buy a can and try them for themselves. There are dozens of threads concerning tomatoes, seems as though people love and/or hate EVERY brand known to exist. Everyone's tastes are different, and nowhere is that more evident then in comparisons of tomatoes. I will never again reply to  a question in regard to tomatoes, every man/woman for themself! >:D

Yikes, touchy subject huh? I actually seek out your opinion when the subject is tomatoes. Thanks for responding  ;D
Josh

Offline norcoscia

• I really Love Pizza!
« Reply #12 on: January 22, 2014, 06:28:40 AM »
One important bit of info. I recently tried the Walmart tomatoes, they were very sweet and I would use them again. But, 2 things - first they were just a tiny bit more watery than I would have liked and second - they did not have deep tomato taste.

Last night I used a can of Jersey Fresh crushed tomatoes I ordered from amazon (and they were not too expensive) - by far those were the best tomatoes I have had in a long long time - they made a near perfect pizza sauce - used them right from the can and just added a bit of salt and a very small amount of fresh basil.  So sweet, so so much tomato flavor - they were great. Amazon has them w Basil and w/o, mine did not have the basil so I'm not sure if the other (w/ basil) is just as good.

Have fun making your pizza pies....

Offline JD

• Supporting Member
« Reply #13 on: January 26, 2014, 10:04:28 PM »
 Well I'm happy to say I tried the GV crushed tomatoes for Sunday gravy and they were great. Sweet, but not too sweet. Nice depth of flavors. Best of all, cheap; definitely a subsititie for classico's. Hope it lasts.
Josh

Offline dmcavanagh

« Reply #14 on: January 27, 2014, 07:34:41 AM »
@norcoscia, if you like Jersey Fresh you'll love LaFede and you'll go absolutely ape %$# over Sclafani. They are all packed with Jersey grown tomatoes and they are all in the same general price range! ;D