Author Topic: Oven dimensions dilemma  (Read 1060 times)

Offline wotavidone

Oven dimensions dilemma
« on: October 24, 2013, 02:15:52 AM »
I realise a low roofed brick oven (Pompeii/igloo style) is the best for Neapolitan pizzas, but I have a "contract" to build an oven that is only about 33.5 inches in diameter. The "client" wants a "small pizza oven like yours, but with a bigger door so I can fit a turkey in". The "contract" is a sort of social obligation - no wages involved. ;D
So I've sneaked in an extra 4 inches diameter (mine is 29.5 inches inside), while he wasn't looking, but the only way give him a 12 inch high entry arch and still keep close to the 0.63 ratio of dome to entry is to make the dome height around 19 inches. That's a high dome general purpose oven, not a low dome dedicated to pizza oven.
The age old problem - people want a "pizza" oven, but then they promptly want it do everything.

So, the question is, will an oven 19 inches high still make a decent pizza?
The other alternative is to ignore the 0.63 dome to entry ratio, give him his 12 inch high door and bring the dome height down somewhat.
Advice?
Regards,
Mick

Offline shuboyje

Re: Oven dimensions dilemma
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2013, 05:43:19 AM »
He doesn't need a 12" door.  I've done multiple turkey in multiple ovens with 8" doors .  People  don't tend to be very good with visualizing measurements. 
-Jeff

Offline wotavidone

« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2013, 05:56:26 AM »
Maybe you're right. He probably wouldn't notice if I shaved an inch .  ;)

Offline stonecutter

• Old World Stone & Garden
« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2013, 04:59:54 PM »
He doesn't need a 12" door.  I've done multiple turkey in multiple ovens with 8" doors .  People  don't tend to be very good with visualizing measurements.

They must have been very small birds.
http://oldworldstoneandgarden.com/

When we build, let us think that we build for ever.
John Ruskin

Offline stonecutter

« Reply #4 on: October 24, 2013, 05:02:58 PM »
I realise a low roofed brick oven (Pompeii/igloo style) is the best for Neapolitan pizzas, but I have a "contract" to build an oven that is only about 33.5 inches in diameter. The "client" wants a "small pizza oven like yours, but with a bigger door so I can fit a turkey in". The "contract" is a sort of social obligation - no wages involved. ;D
So I've sneaked in an extra 4 inches diameter (mine is 29.5 inches inside), while he wasn't looking, but the only way give him a 12 inch high entry arch and still keep close to the 0.63 ratio of dome to entry is to make the dome height around 19 inches. That's a high dome general purpose oven, not a low dome dedicated to pizza oven.
The age old problem - people want a "pizza" oven, but then they promptly want it do everything.

So, the question is, will an oven 19 inches high still make a decent pizza?
The other alternative is to ignore the 0.63 dome to entry ratio, give him his 12 inch high door and bring the dome height down somewhat.
Advice?
Regards,
Mick

Why not shoot for a 9"- 10" door and  a  14" - 16"  ceiling?   An elliptical shape rather than spherical would get you closer to what the client wants too. 
« Last Edit: October 24, 2013, 05:06:06 PM by stonecutter »

John Ruskin

Offline shuboyje

« Reply #5 on: October 24, 2013, 06:33:51 PM »
They must have been very small birds.

You would be surprised.  Medium sized birds for sure.  I don't keep records or anything, but pretty sure I've done close to a 20 pounder in there.

Why not shoot for a 9"- 10" door and  a  14" - 16"  ceiling?   An elliptical shape rather than spherical would get you closer to what the client wants too.

I agree completely. 
-Jeff

Offline stonecutter

« Reply #6 on: October 24, 2013, 06:58:11 PM »
You would be surprised.  Medium sized birds for sure.  I don't keep records or anything, but pretty sure I've done close to a 20 pounder in there.

I had images of you kicking the turkey into the oven.

John Ruskin

Offline wotavidone

« Reply #7 on: October 24, 2013, 09:09:16 PM »
I think you guys are right. The "natural" dome height of a 33.5 inch oven is 16.75 inches, the radius. At that rate, 0.63 is a 10.55 inch door, and an 11 inch door is 0.65.
I reckon he gets what works not what he thinks he wants.

Offline dave s

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizza!
    • daves pizza ovens
« Reply #8 on: November 15, 2013, 07:08:05 AM »
My oven (21") has a six and a half inch high door. It wil just fit a 5kg (10lb) turkey.
Fired with passion and kindled with zeal