Author Topic: Would this work as a Manual Sheeter?  (Read 631 times)

Offline Deadclown

• I Love Pizza!
Would this work as a Manual Sheeter?
« on: October 26, 2013, 08:30:59 PM »
So my girlfriends mom said she wanted a 12" or more manual dough sheeter for christmas and i thought then that it would be a simple task.  However after a few days searching i realized that it was not gonna be so easy.  She plans to use it for more than just pizzas, mostly croissants and such.  Regretably i do not have much experience with dough making so i dont know much about the thicknesses and what kinda materials to stay away from.

After a little looking around i saw some people saying they used clay rollers and it got me thinking of other stuff and i found this.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Slip-roll-rolling-sheet-metal-Woodward-Fab-12-long-length-/231035970848?pt=Motors_Automotive_Tools&vxp=mtr&hash=item35cad12520

I was wondering how this would work with dough and if it would be worth checking out.

Offline red kiosk

• I Love Pizza!
Re: Would this work as a Manual Sheeter?
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2013, 10:27:11 AM »
Description says that it will accept UP TO 20 gauge mild steel. Thats only .039" or just over 1/32" thick. Maybe a really, really thin cracker crust? I dunno'.

Take care!

Jim
The pathologically precise are annoying, but right!

Offline oknewell

« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2013, 11:49:37 AM »
What about grease/oil they use to lubricate it ??? It's a no go IMHO

Offline shuboyje

« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2013, 03:37:40 PM »
Description says that it will accept UP TO 20 gauge mild steel. Thats only .039" or just over 1/32" thick. Maybe a really, really thin cracker crust? I dunno'.

Take care!

Jim

The rolls will open much wider then that, that is the machines capacity in terms of the thickness of metal it can form.  It would need to be more robust to form a heavier gauge, like say 16 gauge mild steel. 

The only problem using this as a dough sheeter is the third roller in the back.  That's the important part for it's intended purpose but will just get in the way for use as a sheeter.  I'm sure it can be removed, but to spend a couple hundred bucks on a sheeter and then have to modify it.....
-Jeff

pizzapan