Author Topic: Those using Tomato Magic, what ingredients do you add?  (Read 2653 times)

Offline waltertore

• Vendor
    • The Smiling With Hope Bakery
Re: Those using Tomato Magic, what ingredients do you add?
« Reply #20 on: November 13, 2013, 05:41:36 PM »
A friend that works at a restaurant uses this recipe for pizza sauce.

3 Cans Tomato Magic
1 1/2 cups Oregano
1/3 cup Salt
1/3 cup Fine Black Pepper
1/4 cup Granulated Garlic
1/4 cup Chopped Garlic

I am sure that they are using three #10 Cans of Tomato magic, so you will have to do the math to reduce the recipe to make it work for one # 10 Can.  You might even want to scale it down to a 1/4 amount of the #10 can Tomato magic and see if you like it or not?

TomN
PS
I would be interested in your feedback.

Hi Tom:  That is a ton of stuff  and would so overpower the tomatoes and entire pie that it would be hard to eat. Maybe you got the measurements wrong in the amount of cans used?  Or could this be a typical NY type response to a customer trying to figure their sauce?  I was raised in the NY/NJ pizza world and my sauce is in relation to that.  The grated romano is not a normal ingredient but I use it for a bit of flavor as well as salt.   For the same recipe I would add:

3 Cans Tomato Magic                          3 cans #10 tomato magic (I use 7/11)
1 1/2 cups Oregano  -                         2-3  tsp oregano
1/3 cup Salt -                                      3 tsp salt ( I add approx 2 tbl grated romano )
1/3 cup Fine Black Pepper -                no pepper
1/4 cup Granulated Garlic                   no granulated garlic
1/4 cup Chopped Garlic -                    3-5 cloves crushed fresh garlic depending on size

« Last Edit: November 13, 2013, 06:55:15 PM by waltertore »

Offline TomN

• Supporting Member
« Reply #21 on: November 13, 2013, 05:57:53 PM »
I appreciate your feedback. However, this is the recipe that they use in that particular restaurant for their pizza. Pizza is only one of the many items on their menu. Thanks again for sharing your thoughts.

TomN
PS
These are #10 size cans.

Offline waltertore

• Vendor
« Reply #22 on: November 13, 2013, 06:55:40 PM »
You are welcome :)

Offline Aimless Ryan

• Snarky
« Reply #23 on: November 13, 2013, 06:56:50 PM »
I would be interested in your feedback.

That seems like a buttload of oregano.

Offline Aimless Ryan

• Snarky
« Reply #24 on: November 13, 2013, 07:21:39 PM »
Also, Tom, I'd be real careful not to get too excited about the recipes on the Stanislaus web site. When I first got my hands on some 7/11 a few months ago, I tried Stanislaus's NY style sauce recipe, figuring there was every reason to believe this recipe would at least be a good starting point for someone opening a NY style pizzeria.

It wasn't. Not even close, really. Mostly because their recipe calls for a concentrated tomato product, which just has no business being in that sauce, in addition to 7/11. Stanislaus surely must realize this sauce recipe is not a good recipe, yet they publish it anyway and act like it's great. Seems kind of stupid to me, considering most of their products really are good stuff, including both of the products their NY style sauce recipe calls for, but whatever.

Offline TomN

• Supporting Member
« Reply #25 on: November 13, 2013, 07:45:35 PM »
Also, Tom, I'd be real careful not to get too excited about the recipes on the Stanislaus web site. When I first got my hands on some 7/11 a few months ago, I tried Stanislaus's NY style sauce recipe, figuring there was every reason to believe this recipe would at least be a good starting point for someone opening a NY style pizzeria.

It wasn't. Not even close, really. Mostly because their recipe calls for a concentrated tomato product, which just has no business being in that sauce, in addition to 7/11. Stanislaus surely must realize this sauce recipe is not a good recipe, yet they publish it anyway and act like it's great. Seems kind of stupid to me, considering most of their products really are good stuff, including both of the products their NY style sauce recipe calls for, but whatever.

I appreciate your thoughts. I do LOVE Pizzaiolo by Stanislaus. I think they make a great sauce and see it used often in many Pizzerias.

http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,17415.msg285546.html#msg285546
« Last Edit: November 13, 2013, 07:47:45 PM by TomN »

Offline Aimless Ryan

• Snarky
« Reply #26 on: November 13, 2013, 07:56:30 PM »
I'm not even gonna follow the link. I assume it goes to a post of me telling you how horrible Pizzaiolo is.  :)
« Last Edit: November 13, 2013, 08:12:31 PM by Aimless Ryan »

Offline Aimless Ryan

• Snarky
« Reply #27 on: November 13, 2013, 08:07:53 PM »
Maybe I got stuck with a bad can of Pizzaiolo the time I bought it, though.

Even if I did get a bad can, I'll never buy it again. 7/11 is too good, and I assume Tomato Magic is, too, since I'm pretty sure Tomato Magic is the same thing as 7/11, but without tomato peels. (I have a can of Tomato Magic, but I haven't had a reason to try it.) I've used a couple of their pizza sauce products (Full-Red and Saporito and maybe another), too, and these products work very well for Columbus/midwest/chain style sauces. No need for Pizzaiolo.

Offline waltertore

• Vendor
« Reply #28 on: November 13, 2013, 08:47:05 PM »

Ryan:  I wouldn't  be suprised if they publish them for people that open shops and want to do NY pies but don't have a clue to where to start.  It makes them think they are making a real deal NY sauce and at the same time doesn't offend the NY guys.  Recipes like that are not messing with their territory and keeps them as customers.  Big business is a nasty, drity, immoral, thing :)  Walter

Online Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #29 on: November 13, 2013, 09:19:56 PM »
Tom,

For some reason, the Stanislaus links did not work using my iPad. The link I got from searching the Stanislaus recipes using the Tomato Magic is as follows: http://www.stanislaus.com/family-recipes/recipe-search-result?page=1 . From what I can tell, none is for pizza sauce. It looks like the pizza sauces are at http://www.stanislaus.com/family-recipes/recipe-browse?type=recipe_both&cid=0 .

A cup and a half of oregano does seem like a lot. That amount of oregano in leaf form weighs [(48 + 24) x 1]/28.35 = 1.25 ounces. Three cans of Tomato Magic = 3 x 106 ounces= 318 ounces. So, as a percent, the oregano is 1.25/318 = 0.393%. In actuality, the percent of oregano may be higher because of compaction in the measuring cup. Also, the 0.393% number will be about double if the oregano is ground oregano. I based my calculations on the nutrition data given for oregano at the Nutrition Data website, at http://nutritiondata.self.com/facts/spices-and-herbs/197/2 .

Peter
« Last Edit: November 13, 2013, 09:26:30 PM by Pete-zza »

Offline TomN

• Supporting Member
« Reply #30 on: November 14, 2013, 01:09:36 AM »
Here is the Stanislaus Link again. Just choose: Both Recipe Collections Together.  And then select: Pizza Sauces, Flat Breads & Pies.

http://www.stanislaus.com/family-recipes/recipe-search

I am posting the direct link, however if it does not work, then use the above link to get there.

http://www.stanislaus.com/family-recipes/recipe-browse?type=recipe_both&cid=65,75

Offline TomN

• Supporting Member
« Reply #31 on: November 14, 2013, 01:11:19 AM »
I'm not even gonna follow the link. I assume it goes to a post of me telling you how horrible Pizzaiolo is.  :)

Ryan,

This is a link to my posting. Nothing negative on this link. Just a great shot of Pizzaiolo.  Enjoy.

http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,17415.msg285546.html#msg285546

PS
IMO, I just think Pizzaiolo is great sauce to use on Pizza.

PS Again,

You have an really great blog. Thanks for posting it.

http://www.ryanspizzablog.blogspot.com
« Last Edit: November 14, 2013, 01:17:51 AM by TomN »