Author Topic: First deep dish attempt. Please critique.  (Read 403 times)

Offline slagathor

• I love onions!
First deep dish attempt. Please critique.
« on: January 11, 2014, 10:06:14 PM »
My first attempt at deep dish was... meh.  Whole, hand-crushed tomatoes, even after draining were too juicy and left liquid in the bottom of the pan. Crust was stellar! Nicely charred even with the extra liquid. 30 min at 450 on bottom rung of oven on top of stone. Locatelli Romano under the top layer of pepperoni was pretty goaty. Still, I ate the hell out of it as it was pretty good. Used Realdeepdish.com recipe for dough, sauteed green peppers, red onions and monterey mushrooms, with mozz, provolone and aforementioned Locaelli, hot Italian sausage and two layers of cheese and pepperoni. Whew! Righteous pie. Will tweak the recipe for less juice and maybe Parmesan instead of Romano.

Suggestions for getting the damn thing outta the pan without turning the whole thing into a strombolli roll?  ::) Sorry no pix. I suck at technology but will try in the future.

Cheers.
I slit the sheet. The sheet I slit. And on the slitted sheet I sit.

Offline Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
Re: First deep dish attempt. Please critique.
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2014, 10:27:43 PM »
My first attempt at deep dish was... meh.  Whole, hand-crushed tomatoes, even after draining were too juicy and left liquid in the bottom of the pan. Crust was stellar! Nicely charred even with the extra liquid. 30 min at 450 on bottom rung of oven on top of stone. Locatelli Romano under the top layer of pepperoni was pretty goaty. Still, I ate the hell out of it as it was pretty good. Used Realdeepdish.com recipe for dough, sauteed green peppers, red onions and monterey mushrooms, with mozz, provolone and aforementioned Locaelli, hot Italian sausage and two layers of cheese and pepperoni. Whew! Righteous pie. Will tweak the recipe for less juice and maybe Parmesan instead of Romano.

Suggestions for getting the damn thing outta the pan without turning the whole thing into a strombolli roll?  ::) Sorry no pix. I suck at technology but will try in the future.

Cheers.
To get the pizza out of the pan you have to think of yourself not really being in this day but rather being in the next day...well....really...it's actually better if you visualize the 3rd day and then add another day to that....then you will be in the 5th day...or is that the 4th day? well...just get back to me around the 6th day and by then I should have this all figured out for you...Ok?.....hello?....slag....I can't see you...are you still there man?..... ???

Pizza Pal,
Bob   ;)

"I slit the sheet. The sheet I slit. And on the slitted sheet I sit."
« Last Edit: January 11, 2014, 10:42:53 PM by Chicago Bob »
"Care Free Highway...let me slip away on you"

Offline vcb

• Real Deep Dish
« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2014, 11:49:52 PM »

Cheers.

Sounds like you had a grease and water bomb on your hands. It helps to go easy on the tomatoes if you're going to load up on the meat, do multiple layers (???) and/or hand-crush your tomatoes.
Did you use fresh or canned? What brand?

For getting the slices out, try cutting the slice in the pan, then serve from the center out instead of the outside in.
For an idea of what I mean, check out the end of my promo video (around 1 min 42 sec):
<a href="http://youtu.be/BXUgqnZZFU8" target="_blank" class="aeva_link bbc_link new_win">http://youtu.be/BXUgqnZZFU8</a>

Keep at it. Deep dish take practice.  :chef:
-- Ed Heller -aka- VCBurger -- Real Deep Dish - Deep Dish 101
http://www.realdeepdish.com/
http://facebook.com/realdeepdish/
http://virtualcheeseblogger.com/

Offline slagathor

• I love onions!
« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2014, 12:08:29 AM »
I used Renzi brand whole peeled tomatoes, well drained, squished, drained again and crushed.  I wound up having to cut the pie with a spatula in the pan and hauled it out by the slice. Assembled and sliced it just like in the video. It was really delicious but I need to get the liquid thing figured out. I sauteed the shrooms and veggies beforehand and drained them too. Still. I'm sure it was the tomatoes. Maybe I'll start with a drier mix of fresh crushed tomatoes and paste or a bit of cornstarch added. I dunno. Seems more work and the wrong idea anyways. Should be simpler, no?

Cheers

edited for clarity.  mg
« Last Edit: January 12, 2014, 12:12:12 AM by slagathor »
I slit the sheet. The sheet I slit. And on the slitted sheet I sit.