Author Topic: tried a new pepperoni  (Read 3073 times)

Offline bbqchuck

Re: tried a new pepperoni
« Reply #20 on: November 08, 2013, 02:49:17 PM »
Thanks Ryan.

I'm going to stop in a Italian deli near work in a little bit and speak with the owner.  He's Italian decendant and I find his meat counter to be very good.

I'm not a fan of Bridgeford meats.  We have a Bridgeford plant locally and it's plentiful in stores here.

Vermont Smoke & Cure looks like it may be a mail order situation for us in socal.  I may order a small quantity to check it out.  Pricey with the shipping.   

I'll check around to see if there's local meat shops producing pepperoni as well.   New ground is always interesting.

Offline bbqchuck

« Reply #21 on: November 08, 2013, 02:52:35 PM »
I recall our members of a bbq forum I belong to smoking pepperoni sticks and saying they were really great.

Offline bbqchuck

« Reply #22 on: November 08, 2013, 06:40:59 PM »
Foggia Market in Lakewood CA sells Margherita pepperoni.   I'll keep looking for others.

Offline waltertore

• Vendor
    • The Smiling With Hope Bakery
« Reply #23 on: November 19, 2013, 05:11:26 PM »
Ryan:  Here is the label from the pavone pepperoni.  Walter

Offline slybarman

« Reply #24 on: November 19, 2013, 07:21:12 PM »
The Vt smoked is good. Packs a wallop of flavor and a bit of a kick.

Offline ron.ck722

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #25 on: February 06, 2014, 02:05:44 AM »
I'm a newbie to this forum, so please forgive any goof-ups.

I'm also a Western-NY'er, raised on Patrick Cudahy's mild Margherita stick pepperoni (no slices, please) from Tops Supermarkets (I think they're defunct).

I've been looking for online Cudahy outlets. Even discussed it with a Cudahy online rep. He couldn't recommend a shipping retailer. I've tried the Margherita brand and it's far too hot and spicy. Before I left the San Francisco Bay Area, I'd tried the local pepperonis many times. All were far too red and spicy.

Recently, I found Fortuna's Sausage Company in Sandgate VT. Their pepperoni is excellent eating. Haven't tried it on a pizza yet. But after coast-to-coast shipping, it's very expensive.

My newest discovery (last month) is an excellent pepperoni from Grandpa's Cheese Barn in Ashland OH. Half the price of Fortuna's. Great eating, but also hasn't been tried on a pizza yet. Shipped in an insulated mylar/aluminum wrapping with a freezer gel pack. Still ice cold after 5 days transit. I think they make their own and don't re-brand someone else's.

Does anyone have any experience with either of these products - Fortunas or Grandpa's?

Also, has anyone ever tried caponata - Sicilian Eggplant Appetizer, as a pizza topping?

Thanks,

Ron

Offline bigMoose

• Kneading is Happiness!
« Reply #26 on: February 06, 2014, 10:10:30 AM »
Ron, Grandpa's cheese barn is semi-local to me, may I ask which pepperoni there you purchased?

I am also not a fan of Margherita stick.  Seemed bland to me.

Just bought another case of Mama Isabella's 28mm cup and char pepperoni from Restaurant Depot to split with a friend.  We both like it, but I nuke it for 30 seconds on paper towels to liberate a lot of fat/water before it goes on the pizza.

Offline ron.ck722

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #27 on: September 02, 2014, 03:18:00 AM »
Sorry for the delayed response. It's Grandpa's Old Fashioned @ $8.99/lb + delivery. There is only one kind of Grandpa's Old Fashioned. I'm not bothered if the manufacturer is on my block if the product is good. Any safe origin is fine by me.

Your taste is much more inclined to the spicy than mine. Although our son grows some of the world's hottest peppers, I can't tolerate anything but mild.

I avoid pepperoni that's too red - too much paprika - like most major brand's slices and the Margherita brand. I only eat sticks. Also avoid too much garlic - a food allergy. I've finally found Boar's Head at the local Fred Meyer (Oregon and Washington State). Very good for munching - about $9/lb.

Fortuna's Sausage makes a very good brownish pepperoni. The color, taste and texture are excellent, but it's twice the price of Grandpa's, delivered to the West Coast. Like sauce, if it doesn't taste good raw, I wouldn't bother putting it on a pizza.

My Golden Standard Munchie is still the Patrick Cudahy Mild Margherita stick, but I can't find anyone who ships it. I also need to try the Vermont brand Pepperoni.

I'm new to the Forum and baked my first Sicilian pizza yesterday (see my post in the "Reverse Engineering the Spumoni Garden" thread).  Other than Cudahy, I haven't tasted or tried any of the above pepperonis on a pizza.

pizzapan