Author Topic: tried a new pepperoni  (Read 2431 times)

Offline waltertore

• Vendor
    • The Smiling With Hope Bakery
tried a new pepperoni
« on: October 24, 2013, 06:30:52 PM »
We bought a 25 lb case of Pavone pepperoni.   We have been using GFS stick pepperoni and slicing it.  The pavone comes presliced. I am not a big pepperoni fan but people today gave it all thumbs up.  Walter

Offline Chaze215

Re: tried a new pepperoni
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2013, 09:03:18 PM »
I have a party to cater on Saturday and will be using Vermont Smoked pepperoni. I hope it's as good as everyone says it is.
Chaz

Offline corkd

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizza!
« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2013, 11:30:12 AM »
The Vt pepperoni is terrific. Drier/less oily than some brands, so I found it burned easily when used under a broiler. If you are using a WFO it should be fine.

Offline waltertore

• Vendor
« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2013, 11:38:12 AM »
I have a party to cater on Saturday and will be using Vermont Smoked pepperoni. I hope it's as good as everyone says it is.

If we used that stuff our price would have to double for a pie.  I don't like any bulk/affordable commericial pepperoni to date.  My grandfather made his own and I ate that as a kid. It spoiled me.  I have tried some high end pepperoni and enjoyed it.  But at $7 for an 18" pie with other wise top ingredients in it, I cut on the pepperoni quality.  To be honest I don't eat our pep pies but eat 2 slices of our cheese everyday so the ingredients on that has to be top shelf.  I make those to my liking.  If people want to eat the commercial stuff we use more power to em ;D  Walter
« Last Edit: October 25, 2013, 11:40:45 AM by waltertore »

Offline Aimless Ryan

• Snarky
« Reply #4 on: October 26, 2013, 12:21:30 AM »
We bought a 25 lb case of Pavone pepperoni.   We have been using GFS stick pepperoni and slicing it.  The pavone comes presliced. I am not a big pepperoni fan but people today gave it all thumbs up.  Walter

Yeah, that looks like the same stuff they sell at Carfagna's, which I've been told is "Pavone." (This is in reference to something I said during me and Walter's stroll around RD last week after Walter mentioned Pavone.) Last year in the Tommy's thread I shared the fact that the Carfagna's deli lady told me their pepperoni was "Pavone," but I don't think anyone ever figured out exactly what "Pavone" is, and I don't think Google helped, either. So Walter, is Pavone a manufacturer or a brand?

Also, I'll take you a bag of Ezzo GiAntonio pepperoni whenever I finally make it to Newark. I've had this pepperoni in the freezer for a couple months, so it probably won't be anywhere near as good as it once was, but it'll probably still be pretty good.
« Last Edit: October 26, 2013, 12:28:39 AM by Aimless Ryan »

Offline waltertore

• Vendor
« Reply #5 on: October 26, 2013, 07:28:28 AM »
Yeah, that looks like the same stuff they sell at Carfagna's, which I've been told is "Pavone." (This is in reference to something I said during me and Walter's stroll around RD last week after Walter mentioned Pavone.) Last year in the Tommy's thread I shared the fact that the Carfagna's deli lady told me their pepperoni was "Pavone," but I don't think anyone ever figured out exactly what "Pavone" is, and I don't think Google helped, either. So Walter, is Pavone a manufacturer or a brand?

Also, I'll take you a bag of Ezzo GiAntonio pepperoni whenever I finally make it to Newark. I've had this pepperoni in the freezer for a couple months, so it probably won't be anywhere near as good as it once was, but it'll probably still be pretty good.

Hi Ryan:  Here is the info that comes via the GFS online order system I use.  I look forward to your visit and trying that pepperoni!  Walter

Manufacturer: PATRICK CUDAHY INC.
Pack  2/CASE
Portion Size  OZ
Portion/Case  400
Price  86.18
 Manufacturer #  4320015430
Net Weight  25
UPC Code 1  10043200154309

Quantity Invoiced Over The Last Six Weeks
9/15/2013 9/22/2013 9/29/2013 10/6/2013 10/13/2013 10/20/2013
0 0 0 0 0 1

Other Information - scroll down for more detail
Item Yield  CASE= PEPPERONI SLCD 2-12.5# 15430 
Shelf Life  FREEZER= 180 DAYS 
Thawing Instructions  NOT NECESSARY TO THAW BEFORE USING 
Basic Preparation  PRODUCT IS READY TO EAT 
Marketing Tips  DESIGNED TO CUP AND CRISP SIMILAR TO TRADITIONAL OLD WORLD ITALIAN PEPPERONI, THIS PRODUCT PERFORMS EXCELLENT. MADE FROM THE FINEST CUTS OF BEEF AND PORK AND SEASONED WITH NATURAL SPICES AND PAPRIKA. A SPICIER FLAVOR PROFILE THAN MANY PEPPERONIS, THIS PRODUCT HAS A GREAT ROBUST FLAVOR THAT COOKS UP WELL ON A PIZZA.**CONSISTENT SLICES, EXCEPTIONAL PERFORMANCE, AND A ROBUST FLAVOR. PROCESSED USING OUR TRADITIONAL TECHNIQUES AND DOUBLE SMOKED. PRODUCT IS DESIGNED TO BE A CUP AND CRISP PEPPERONI. **RESTAURANTS / DELIS / SANDWICH AND PIZZA SHOPS**LUNCH AND DINNER APPLICATIONS. INGREDIENT IN SALADS OR DISHES. MAIN APPLICATION IS ON PIZZAS. 

Offline jkb

« Reply #6 on: October 26, 2013, 08:14:07 AM »
"Marketing Tips:  DESIGNED TO CUP AND CRISP SIMILAR TO TRADITIONAL OLD WORLD ITALIAN PEPPERONI"

I thought pepperoni was an American creation.  Not that I don't like it.  It's not my first choice for a topping, but my son would throw a fit if I didn't make a pepperoni pie on pizza night.  Ezzo is my goto. 

Offline Aimless Ryan

• Snarky
« Reply #7 on: October 26, 2013, 10:17:03 AM »
OK, that clears up everything. "Patrick Cudahy" was everything I needed to know. Seems like when I did the google search last year, there were hits for Patrick Cudahy and something else that wasn't Patrick Cudahy. All I needed was to see the box at Carfagna's, but I wasn't going to ask anyone to dig up a box or another case (from downstairs) for that. Thanks.

Offline Aimless Ryan

• Snarky
« Reply #8 on: October 26, 2013, 10:53:26 AM »
At $86.16 per case, that comes out to $3.45 per pound. Carfagna's sells it for $7.99 a pound, which is ridiculous. This is why I went to RDP and bought a whole case of Ezzo GiAntonio, for $105.00 ($4.20 per pound). I think Pavone is pretty good, although you can't really taste it much. (Nice crispy texture, though, after baking.)

Something that's been bugging me for the last week: Why do you have to go through the BS of asking RD to remove the tax from your purchases there? You don't have to do that with GFS, right? Similarly, there is no tax listed on my RDP invoice, from when I bought a case of Ezzo pepperoni ($105.00), a case of Grande diced mozzarella ($110.29), and a case of 7/11 ($25.31). As you surely know, unprepared/packaged food is not taxed in Ohio. (I don't know if there are any different rules for wholesale vs. retail, but there doesn't seem to be.)

RD should have their point of sale equipment set up to not add tax (except for stuff like equipment), and it shouldn't be difficult to do that. So why don't they? (That's a rhetorical question, unless you know the answer.)

Offline TXCraig1

« Reply #9 on: October 26, 2013, 11:18:54 AM »
OK, that clears up everything. "Patrick Cudahy" was everything I needed to know.

Patrick Cudahy is a brand/subsidiary of John Morrell Foods - which also owns such brands as Margherita and Armour-Eckrich which makes pepperoni for Boars Head.
I love pigs. They convert vegetables into bacon.

Offline Aimless Ryan

• Snarky
« Reply #10 on: October 26, 2013, 11:54:04 AM »
Hmmm. Carfagna's also sells Margherita pepperoni stick. I bought a couple sticks once, but I didn't use anywhere near all of it, as I thought it was pretty nasty.

Offline waltertore

• Vendor
« Reply #11 on: October 26, 2013, 12:18:03 PM »
At $86.16 per case, that comes out to $3.45 per pound. Carfagna's sells it for $7.99 a pound, which is ridiculous. This is why I went to RDP and bought a whole case of Ezzo GiAntonio, for $105.00 ($4.20 per pound). I think Pavone is pretty good, although you can't really taste it much. (Nice crispy texture, though, after baking.)

Something that's been bugging me for the last week: Why do you have to go through the BS of asking RD to remove the tax from your purchases there? You don't have to do that with GFS, right? Similarly, there is no tax listed on my RDP invoice, from when I bought a case of Ezzo pepperoni ($105.00), a case of Grande diced mozzarella ($110.29), and a case of 7/11 ($25.31). As you surely know, unprepared/packaged food is not taxed in Ohio. (I don't know if there are any different rules for wholesale vs. retail, but there doesn't seem to be.)

RD should have their point of sale equipment set up to not add tax (except for stuff like equipment), and it shouldn't be difficult to do that. So why don't they? (That's a rhetorical question, unless you know the answer.)

Ryan: Tax is on non food stuff like the pizza boxes, plastic bags, pizza pans, that I bought.  I went through the process of getting set up with RD for tax exempt, but it seems 50% of the time it doesn't work at the register.  If I buy something with tax on my school credit card and it shows up on the monthly statement, I have to pay it.  That is why I made sure before we left there was no tax on the reciept.

Mark up is pretty crazy on things.  The DOP Parm Reg I bought when we were there was on sale for $7.99/lb (reg 8.99/lb.  The same stuff sells for $23/lb at whole foods).   I have yet to see Grande cheese at RD.  I bet it would be a lot cheaper there than GFS.   GFS is a rip off on most items I need but I am pretty much stuck with them because they deliver once a week and are the only show in our area.  They are great to deal with but the prices are crazy high.  The 25lb boxe of semi sweet hersheys choc chips we buy are $53 at RD and 64 at GFS.  It is pretty much like that across the board.   Walter
« Last Edit: October 26, 2013, 12:20:03 PM by waltertore »

Offline TXCraig1

« Reply #12 on: October 26, 2013, 12:46:39 PM »
Mark up is pretty crazy on things.  The DOP Parm Reg I bought when we were there was on sale for $7.99/lb (reg 8.99/lb.  The same stuff sells for $23/lb at whole foods).   

I don't disagree with you on markups - particularly at Whole Paycheck. Notwithstanding, all DOP Parmigiano-Reggiano is not the same. Like DOP SM tomatoes, some producers are consistently better than others, and there may be a significant difference in the age of the cheese.

Offline Aimless Ryan

• Snarky
« Reply #13 on: October 26, 2013, 12:59:42 PM »
Ryan: Tax is on non food stuff like the pizza boxes, plastic bags, pizza pans, that I bought.

Oh yeah. I forgot about that stuff. All I remember is 10 bags of flour, 4 or 5 cases of 7/11, and the big chunk of cheese.

Offline waltertore

• Vendor
« Reply #14 on: October 26, 2013, 01:14:03 PM »
I don't disagree with you on markups - particularly at Whole Paycheck. Notwithstanding, all DOP Parmigiano-Reggiano is not the same. Like DOP SM tomatoes, some producers are consistently better than others, and there may be a significant difference in the age of the cheese.

Craig:  I am not up on the whole DOP thing.  I saw the rind markings were the same at whole foods as what I buy at RD and assumed it was the same stuff.  I have no complaints about the RD PR.  Before we moved to OH we were in sonoma county, CA.  Our good friend Elena was from the Parma region of Italy.  She would go home a couple times a year and bring us back a shoe box full of PR from her area.  I find the RD to be just as good.  But what do I know.  I am just a guy from NJ :-D  Walter

Offline TXCraig1

« Reply #15 on: October 26, 2013, 01:50:05 PM »
Craig:  I am not up on the whole DOP thing.  I saw the rind markings were the same at whole foods as what I buy at RD and assumed it was the same stuff.  I have no complaints about the RD PR.  Before we moved to OH we were in sonoma county, CA.  Our good friend Elena was from the Parma region of Italy.  She would go home a couple times a year and bring us back a shoe box full of PR from her area.  I find the RD to be just as good.  But what do I know.  I am just a guy from NJ :-D  Walter

Don't get me wrong, I don't buy it at Whole Paycheck either. I get it at Costco.

If you see a whole wheel, notice that in addition to "Parmigiano-Reggiano" on the rind which they all have, there are also specific markings unique to the manufacturer and others that denote the age.

Offline waltertore

• Vendor
« Reply #16 on: October 26, 2013, 02:03:29 PM »
Don't get me wrong, I don't buy it at Whole Paycheck either. I get it at Costco.

If you see a whole wheel, notice that in addition to "Parmigiano-Reggiano" on the rind which they all have, there are also specific markings unique to the manufacturer and others that denote the age.

Thanks for that info Craig. I will check for a whole wheel next time at RD.  Walter

Offline bbqchuck

• Supporting Member
« Reply #17 on: November 07, 2013, 05:25:21 PM »
Hmmm. Carfagna's also sells Margherita pepperoni stick. I bought a couple sticks once, but I didn't use anywhere near all of it, as I thought it was pretty nasty.

:o Hmmmm, that's my favorite brand.  But I've led a sheltered life.  I use it because our local Italian deli, Guiliano's carries it exclusively.  The other market brands I've tried, including Boar's Head, just tasted bland, no snap.

I'm on the westcoast, so Italian foods are harder to get than the eastcoast.  Can you recommend a brand?  I'd like to expand my horizons on pepperoni. 

Offline TXCraig1

« Reply #18 on: November 07, 2013, 05:49:00 PM »
:o Hmmmm, that's my favorite brand.  But I've led a sheltered life.  I use it because our local Italian deli, Guiliano's carries it exclusively.  The other market brands I've tried, including Boar's Head, just tasted bland, no snap.

I'm on the westcoast, so Italian foods are harder to get than the eastcoast.  Can you recommend a brand?  I'd like to expand my horizons on pepperoni.

Look for Vermont Smoke and Cure pepperoni. Best pepperoni ever.

Offline Aimless Ryan

• Snarky
« Reply #19 on: November 08, 2013, 01:38:55 AM »
The only consumer level pepperoni I've ever liked much is Bridgford 16 oz stick, which seems to be available at all Kroger-owned stores. Ralph's for you, I suppose. It's not exclusive to Kroger, so you might also be able to find it at Von's or other stores. (That's the 16 oz stick, not the smaller Bridgford stick. And certainly not the pre-sliced stuff, which is not remotely similar.)

The Bridgford stuff is good, but I've long since grown tired of it. Plus it's very labor intensive. Not only because you have to slice it, but also because it is mega greasy. It got to a point where I would lay the pepperoni slices individually on paper towels and roll it all up to make it less greasy. When all that extra work got old, I started putting the pepperoni on a pan and into the oven for just long enough to draw out the grease before dabbing it all with paper towels. That got old, too. Regardless of how you may try to do this, it takes a lot of extra work and it makes this pepperoni too much trouble for me to probably ever use again.

Having said that, I admit that I've never really tried many different brands of pepperoni. The foodservice-quality stuff I've used (Ezzo and Patrick Cudahy) is just so much better than anything you can normally get at grocery stores that I'll probably never buy another consumer quality pepperoni again. I've never tried the Vermont stuff, but I know Craig is not the only member to rave about it.

I have seen a lot of good-looking pepperoni in pictures on the boards, so I assume there must be some good consumer-level pepperoni out there somewhere. But if you like Margherita, then I guess everything is good already.